cruise control / horn

ICE, Equipment, Options
SteveB1
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by SteveB1 »

Afternoon all, New to this site and 1st post. So... I have a J10 mk1 09 Qashqai 1.5 diesel turbo. I`ve only had the car a couple of years and all seemed good. After a while the cruise control has stopped working and also the horn but if I turn the steering on full lock left the cruise light comes on and the horn works ! Has anybody else experienced these issues and how was it rectified? Hoping for some answers. Thanks.

Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

Sounds like the wiring loom in the steering wheel area, could be a loose plug, that is where I would be looking at.
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
SteveB1
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by SteveB1 »

Thanks Terry64. I`ve had the s/w centre out and all looks good in side. all wiring in the wheel area turns with the wheel so I`m thinking it might be further down inside the cowling. strange that it`s only working on full lock.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Might be:

Clockspring
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clocksprings generally consist of a flat multicore cable wound in a spiral shape similar to a clock spring, hence the name,[1] but the name is also given to devices fulfilling the same purpose but which use spring-loaded brushes contacting concentric slip rings.[2]
In Automotive Systems

In vehicle steering systems a clock spring or clockspring is a spiral-wound special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

gloucester wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:54 pm Might be:

Clockspring
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clocksprings generally consist of a flat multicore cable wound in a spiral shape similar to a clock spring, hence the name,[1] but the name is also given to devices fulfilling the same purpose but which use spring-loaded brushes contacting concentric slip rings.[2]
In Automotive Systems

In vehicle steering systems a clock spring or clockspring is a spiral-wound special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column.
This sounds like a very probable cause, when you turn the steering wheel the ribbon cable will coil and uncoil, it may have a damaged cable.
You can pick them up on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323499955620
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Best to do a continuity check of the wires as its quite possible one or more have failed internally.
SteveB1 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm Thanks Terry64. I`ve had the s/w centre out and all looks good in side. all wiring in the wheel area turns with the wheel so I`m thinking it might be further down inside the cowling. strange that it`s only working on full lock.
thebiggreenie
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by thebiggreenie »

Having a very similar problem. Buttons used to be temperamental - now don't work at all.

Ordered a new clock spring but it's the wrong type for my QQ (only one plug connector, instead of the two needed)...