Nissan connect rebooting and music cutting out when playing via Bluetooth

ICE, Equipment, Options
Dazcabs66
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Dazcabs66 »

Took my QQ in to dealer today. South London. Of course, they did the update - made no difference. Actually, that’s not fair - now cds play real loud and the volume nob doesn’t work. Steering wheel controls are also newly dodgy. I’m sure the buttons feel more wobbly too. I had contacted Customer Care to say this will happen, so can we skip this step and save me £114? Naturally, they made out they knew nothing and said I’d have to go via a dealer. Anyone who has had joy - how do I get someone managing my case?

NikkiC1975
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by NikkiC1975 »

I’ve been having this same problem, my unit has had several updates and has been sent away for repair without success. I’m really going around in circles with Nissan now who are putting it down to atmospheric issues (?!) and so I’ve now contacted good old Watchdog in desperation. It’s amazing that people with vehicles still in warranty are being told “Nissan are working hard to rectify the issue and a new unit will not make any difference”, while those without warranties are being offered “half price” new units! I’m sooo angry, Nissan’s handling of this is appalling!

P.s. I’m in Canterbury so very close to Dover. I also admit to having an Xtrail (2015) please don’t remove me!!
Jonnyoner

Post by Jonnyoner »

I’ve owned my 2014 QQ Acenta Premium for a week now and the DAB will only work for about 2 or 3 stations (KISSTORY / Absolute). The others will drop on and out of signal for 5 seconds or so, which is really annoying. It’s as if the signal isn’t strong enough.

If I keep trying to tune something else the system reboots. If I leave it on one of the aforementioned 2 it’s fine?

If I plug in a USB lead it won’t pick up even these 2.

I’ve emailed Nissan UK referencing this thread and they have logged a case and said that they will be in touch once a fix is found -

‘We can raise a case for you to our back office who are the ones currently investigating this fault at the moment. Once a case is raised, they will be able to come back to you with a solution to the problem once Nissan UK communicate this out.’

I bought the car privately so I suspect it may not be on the latest version, but I’ll wait and see what Nissan say.

I’m based up near Manchester, so I can’t believe it’s the issue with the Dover transmitter, but who knows - I’m going to London tomorrow so I’ll see what the signal is like in another part of the country.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

I have never been enthusiastic about DAB in cars, I find reception bad enough on my radio at home.https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/interf ... r_dabradio worth a read.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Vid here shows what bad LED lamp drivers can cause. The drivers being power supplies and there are a lot of them around. A radio frequency spectrum analyser is used here to detect/display all signals within the radio and TV frequency spectrum (frequency band). I have the DAB domestic radio thats shown on the table in this video. Its a good one...for a change!

Signals exist all through the frequency band and if below a specific level do not cause any problems. Generated by electrical machinery commonly and termed background noise...or just noise. An analogy is all the crackling/humming and buzzing through the AM bands (LW/MW/SW). The wanted signal must be much higher than the noise...known as signal to noise ratio (S/N) in radio techniques. Its a decibel value.

The noise impact is to cause a drop in DAB/DTV signal quality to which digital processing is designed to halt processing - blanks a TV screen totally (sound and vision) and the same to the DAB radio sound. Rebooting should not be part of this event type. Of course you won't get an error message that may help you understand whats happening. It all simply hangs, similar to the old PC Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

This particularly is the effect of poorly operating/screened switch mode power supplies. Supposed to be a universal unit capable of converting 110 thru 240 volts AC to between 5 and 24 volts DC usually. Power switching here can create large pulse trains which are rich in harmonics and so disrupt/overload sensitive radio receiver front end amplifiers. And car key fob signal corrupted!

I'm not saying that this is the prime cause of our ICE problems....it appears to be significant in Geneva though! However, such interference cannot be eliminated along with the performance of the DAB radio under various circumstances. CE mark (self certification)...joke No 1!

Last edited by calnorth on Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 am, edited 10 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Further to my post above, here is the effect of bad LED headlights. Is N. America and could be an FM radio (VHF) being cut off. However, I'd expect that to be a noisy/hissing event rather than a immediate blank off. Its likely a digital radio type suffering very local LED unit interference. It don't take much. The USA and Canada don't use our DAB type systems.

A solution is shown and is common to radio screening/filtering techniques. No need to apply to Halogen lamp systems.

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Dazcabs66

Post by Dazcabs66 »

Update to my post above - Nissan have been in touch to say ... they'll keep in touch. They won't help with a new unit, but they will let me know what they can offer to do if they ever find a solution.

So, it's a case of: If we had some eggs we could have some bacon and eggs ... if we had some bacon.
crazyapple

Post by crazyapple »

Facing the same issue. Have booked in for a check at dealer, but could only get an appointment after 4 weeks on Fri 7th June. Have to live with it till then I guess, or is there anything I can try on my own?

Have been able to successfully replicate the issue here:
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I assume your car is a 17 plate?

I have a 67 plate Connecta which did not behave on Bluetooth as expected with the bluetooth symbol (paired bt signal ok) using my Android 7 phones. That was the Bluetooth antenna symbol appearing and disappearing randomly. Since the Connecta unit is somewhat short on error messages I assumed it was pairing/re-pairing randomly.....loosing connection anyway.

I have not played music with the phone...only USB which is ok. Can you upgrade to Android 8 as a start....I did that to stop the symbol flashing on/off and is better. Or perhaps use another phone with Android 8.

The Connecta system re-start is the prime issue of course and cannot be explained. DAB will do it also, so these are external triggers (interfaced sub units) to the main digital processing that are leading to system crashes. Nissan have no idea whats wrong...they say?

As far as I understand it the Nissan Connect App has been abandoned by Nissan...aka unsupported. So I won't have redundant junk on my phones.

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Quashqaiowner

Post by Quashqaiowner »

Another side line to this. Has anyone noticed the volume is quieter over Bluetooth or usb??