Nissan connect rebooting and music cutting out when playing via Bluetooth

ICE, Equipment, Options
qqdriver
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by qqdriver »

Our 15 plate QQ n-tec 1.2 dig-T petrol has had this fault since we bought it from Cargiant London in May last year (2018). We first noticed occasionally the DAB radio going silent for about a minute with a msg on screen saying 'no signal' or something similar. We assumed we were just in a low signal area and thought it was probably 'normal', but then it started to occur more frequently and sometimes the console would reboot i.e. animated Nissan logo etc. Unfortunately, by the time we noticed this and informed CG it was over 6 months since we bought the car and they are saying that they won't fix it because they have no record of the problem within the first 6 months. They say it sounds like it needs a software update at our expense. It varies how often this intermittent problem occurs, but sometimes it is every few minutes.

I spoke to a Nissan Garage in London today. They said it would be £50 for a diagnostic check.

1) Has anyone successfully solved this issue?

2) Anyone know if we have a leg to stand on getting CG to fix it? AFAIK statutory rights are dealer obliged to fix if we can prove fault occurred within 6 month of purchase. Any advice on how to handle this? N.B. our car also has another couple of problems (oil loss viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780&p=65878#p65878 and electrical squeal from engine whenever power is on viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3478&p=65879#p65879). CG giving same response for these issues too.

KKCAT1

Post by KKCAT1 »

Hi All,

i have a 2013 Qashqai+2 which has now developed this fault. The connect unit keeps cutting out and 'rebooting' itself, in some cases a couple of times on a single journey. It occurrs both when listening to the radio or even when just using the satNav. I have read the multiple cases of this on here and wondered if ther is any update from Nissan or any resolution. Has anyone got any 'official' acknowledgement from Nissan that there is an issue? What would your advice be. Should I call my local dealer and advise them I have an occurrance of the 'known' issue with my Connect system. obviously due to the age of my vehicle it is out of warrenty.

thanks in advace
Mercer79

Post by Mercer79 »

This is the reply I've received to my complaint to Nissan Customer Care. For the record they are refusing (in a subsequent email) to confirm they will fix it without cost if the solution is not found until after my extended warranty expires. I have already had an update, the radio unit enjoyed a 5 week trip to Clarion in France to be 'fixed' but came back the same and it already has a DAB only station preset:

First of all let me assure you that we are aware of issues you are experiencing with the Connect unit in your vehicle.

At this stage I regret to advise you that Nissan are not able to confirm what is causing the units to cut out or reboot. However, we have assessed available data which suggests that vehicles experiencing this issue are geographically isolated, that replacing the affected unit does not resolve the issue, and that updating software on the units does not solve it either. Additionally, we have anecdotal evidence which suggests that the problem is not solely related to Nissan-manufactured vehicles, and we also have customers who have taken their vehicles abroad who have reported that their units work without fault on the continent. All of this indicates the problem is not related to the unit itself.

It seems likely that certain Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) signals being sent out are now working on a different frequency than before and these may be incompatible with current software – this would explain why it is happening in certain areas. As DAB signals are not sent out by Nissan, this is not something we have control over. As a result, we are working with other experts in this field, including the manufacturer of the units, to establish what is causing the concern and what we can do to rectify the situation for our customers. There is now great focus on reviewing the DAB data that is being transmitted and trying to confirm which signals are causing the systems to reset themselves.

As an interim measure, we do feel it is important that the latest software is on your vehicle as this limits the impact of the rebooting – if you have recently updated the software on your vehicle as a result of a visit to your local dealership then this should be sufficient. Additionally there is further evidence that setting a DAB-only station as a preset on your unit will partially resolve the problem. An example of a DAB-only station is KISSTORY which will be found on your DAB listed stations.

I am sorry that I cannot provide further information for you at present; however I can confirm that we are looking at this concern as the highest level of priority and as soon as we have a resolution I will be in a position to cascade this to you. I can assure you that I will not close your case and will be pushing for an answer as soon as possible.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

well that's exactly as we suspected, and does confirm there's no fault as such, so nothing we can really do or worry about, just have to wait till they fix the software and get the updates then.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I had a 2010 Ford Focus in my household until last month. Thats a common Sony ICE and DAB worked on that without the slightest sniff of a reboot or the dead sound of death.

I just had a skim round the OFCOM website to lodge an enquiry/complaint. No chance of getting much common sense there?

The BBC is largely responsible for the technicalities of the public radio/TV system in UK and as such should be able to advise anybody (manufacturers for one) on the current broadcast systems. So I don't quite understand why Nissan (Clarion) are acting in such a dumb way.

I'll try to get through to BBC engineering and ask WTF is going on. I know the Mercedes ICE units work ok in Germany (DAB+) but some don't work here...my sons AMG C63 for one.

As I currently understand it DAB+ is not running in UK (just DAB) so we seem to be out of step with our neighbours....likely the planet?

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Update to my last post:
Its difficult (to say the least) to find anything up to date and reliable about DAB and DAB+ in UK. Here is something from:

https://getdigitalradio.com/frequently-asked-questions

See para DAB+:

Will DAB+ mean my DAB radio will become obsolete?
No. The majority of digital stations will continue to be broadcast on DAB for the foreseeable future. DAB+ is compatible with DAB and can be introduced alongside existing DAB services and existing DAB radios will continue to receive all the DAB stations broadcasting.

Currently, the majority of DAB digital radios will receive only stations using DAB. However, many newer DAB digital radios can receive DAB+ channels and, over time, that number will grow organically. There are numerous radios available to buy in the UK which are DAB+ compatible, and all radios with the Digital Radio Tick Mark are future-ready and enable listeners to receive the available DAB, DAB+ and FM radio stations.

Some models are upgradeable to DAB+ via a firmware download and DAB+ capability can generally be checked with the manufacturer.

My suspicion at present is that the processing (de-compression) of the digitised audio could be a problem for the Nissan/Clarion units and that firmware updates can't fix that. If the design is inadequate its likely that the related ICE processor system/sub system will crash. This kind of thing rather points at a complete change of hardware.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
zezinho

Post by zezinho »

An update on my 64 plate QQ n-tec 1.2 dig-T: after 4 weeks, got back the Nissan connect unit, now installed back into dash following Clarion inspection and work.

Have only driven the car for 15mins, so early days.

The situation appears to be an issue with FM/DAB signals. What I've been told is that you must have the 1st present station on a true DAB station (Kisstory for example) and the rest as you prefer (better all true DAB?!). The FM signal causes issues in the background affecting memory or/and hard drive which gets full or currupted?!

The unit was worked on by Clarion, addressing issues with the memory/hard drive, probably caused by this signal situation. This work was expensive (£500+) which Nissan reluctantly paid.

Early days but hopefully a solution. So keep the 1st present station to a DAB station/signal and maybe try to clean/empty the memory?!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I thought it was a different set of presets for DAB and FM anyway, depending which mode you are in. So your first DAB preset needs to be a true DAB only station.

But what about the FM presets, you can't have a DAB only station as your first FM preset. maybe best to not have any FM presets at all.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Don't know of any DAB radio with a hard drive. Memory chips...yes. And most devices are normally tight on memory in my experience. I've always felt that DAB receivers are sluggish in operation...just hesitant/slow. That heads off to the area of memory working space and buffering. There's only so much swapping that can be done before the system slows up and dumps/crashes.

This is the UK Radio spectrum...the Sweet Spot is where DAB exists along with much more jammed in. The sweetspot, is the upper part of the Very High Frequency (VHF) band and the whole of the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) band, incorporating frequencies from around 200 MHz to 3 GHz. Think 4G and 5G have to be stuffed in there as well?

bbc_figura_5.jpg

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
puffingbilly

Post by puffingbilly »

Just spoken with Westover Nissan in Salisbury from whom I bought my 2016 Qashqai 1.5 N-TEC in Dec. 15. Useless as usual. "there have been a few problems" "bring it in for diagnostics test which will cost £120 but software update may solve problem". Drew their attention to this forum saying it wouldn't but they just don't want to know. Wont even tell me if/when a solution has been found. I'm not at all technical, especially when it comes to the electronics but I'll try programming the DAB settings as suggested and turn off traffic warnings and see what happens.