Easy Hill Start v Auto brake hold

ICE, Equipment, Options
StevieG
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by StevieG »

Good afternoon all,
apologies if this is not posted in the correct place!
I am a newbie to the forum and my introductory post has opened up a bit of a discussion on Easy Hill start V Auto brake Hold
In response to my confusion between the two another very kind member has posted the following:--

“When I bought this J11B QQ in 2017, I pressed the automatic brake hold switch near the gear stick so the function remains active every time I start the car.
The automatic brake hold indicator (white) illuminates when the automatic brake hold system is in standby and the automatic brake hold indicator (green) illuminates while the automatic brake hold system is operating.
It is my understanding that if you use the automatic brake hold, then the easy hill start/assist is disabled, as it is basically the same function. The difference being the automatic brake hold works for up to 3 minutes and the easy hill start is only for 2 seconds.”

That post makes perfect sense to me as I could not understand the need for both. Although I have not had much time or miles in the car to fully understand and become proficient in its operation. It would certainly easy my mind if others could confirm that by selecting Auto brake hold you are in effect disabling Hill start assist.
Thank you in advance and as they say I may be some time in responding as a new talktalk wi-fi hub has just arrived and needs setting up.. Haha I may never be heard of again!
Thanks in advance. Wonderful site.

StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Thanks again calnorth you are a gentleman. I had enough trouble figuring out how to start a new thread. Appreciated
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The two switches in my 67 Plate QQ are as pic below:

Not noticed switch led behaviour yet as regards their interaction on the move. Need to watch the road antics.

My bother with this system is that it may unexpectedly release/apply on fault condition(s). A probability has been calculated somewhere?

P... is automatically applied at engine switch off. I rarely operate this switch because on engine switch off my foot is still on the brake pedal and I select reverse gear after engine off. My driveway is sloped about 20 deg. There is a sequence to disable the Auto function for pushing the car. Think its engine switch off with driver door open...yet to try.

I rarely use P with engine running...long wait. But that would be a pull up of the switch and a push down if necessary on take off. This is where my digital foot fails to get smooth enough lift off on auto release of brakes. Can hear caliper servo motors operating which is normal apparently. Is useful..to me.

Auto Hold... When selected (orange led) it should operate on a higher than 3 degree incline. Takes care of roll forward and back. I keep my foot on the brake until I feel the foot pedal gradually harden up. The advisory is to keep foot on brake pedal anyway - mitigation. I have the feeling that the Auto Hold is longer than 2 secs..yet to test.

Leds illuminated below (Red/Orange-ish) with ignition on/engine stopped.

Park_Hold Sw.jpg

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Hi again calnorth,

Thanks yet again for your detailed input. My 18 plate appears to have exactly the same switches for the parking brake and auto hold. I took it out for a short drive this morning. I checked that the auto hold was illuminated and I had the Auto brake hold indicator (white) lit in the vehicle information display. Although I did not come across any steepish incline to try I did have to join a few roundabouts where the slight incline could have caused a roll back. Providing I had a solid press of the brake pedal to stop, the Auto brake hold indicator changed to green and the brakes were in auto hold. This did not appear to have a time limit (I may have been waiting 30 sec to get on roundabout!) but when I set off again I pressed the accelerator and the auto hold came off as advertised. I see this as perfectly usable and think the Hill assist may be a red herring.
My car, an 18 plate Dig-T tekna, came advertised as Hill assist but I am not convinced it is fitted as I have not seen any indicator lights for it and cannot see a use for it if the Auto brake continues to operate as it did this morning.
You info that Auto brake disables the Hill assist sounds right but I cannot see why a manufacturer would build in a redundant system.
Not many others with an input at present so I will accept you explanation and continue to drive accordingly.
Thanks again
Steve
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Ok Steve,

Hill Assist is in my head somewhere (salesman) and I can't be bothered to wade through the paper user manual. I have the soft copy (pdf) but thats the N. American version and without Hill Assist/Auto Hold. Cannot find the UK pdf version on the web...if there is one?

I'd say the Park and Auto Hold (Hill Assist?) are released the same way. Perhaps thats engine revs/acc pedal travel AND gear select. Logically there needs to be two different brake release inputs (sensors) that confirm together an intention to lift off. Park is Auto on when the engine is cut which points to engine revs sensing rather than pedal travel.

I think the 2 sec hold when foot moves from brake to throttle pedals is longer too. When I feel the brake pedal pressure come up I have taken my foot off the brake to the floor. Yes, the system holds for longer than 2 secs but have not done time length measurement....road games get in the way.

I've stalled the engine twice on A Hold. Not giving it enough welly really because I don't want a jerk/jump.

Cheers

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Colin,
I am starting to believe that Hill assist and auto hold are just different names for the same function. The owner’s manual is very vague and not really much help. For now, as I have said, I am going to ignore that Hill assist was ever mentioned and continue to have the auto hold selected and used for all eventualities.
Suns shining out there might be time for another practice. Oh the joys of retirement eh!
Cheers
Steve
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I think the term Hill Assist arises with Nissan North America, Inc. 2018 Nissan Rogue and earlier.

I'll go walk otherwise may knacker the battery?

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

HAha!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Steve...I checked the white and green LED behaviour today on a shopping trip. Auto Hold is operating on demand continually and is dependant on length of brake pedal depression when stopped. Halted for a couple of seconds and Auto Hold indicator goes green and continually holds...none of the 2 secs business. Lift off I am sure is smoother than Parking as well.

Many stops on flat-ish roads and it holds perfect...the 3 degree incline bit I actually wonder about. How could that be accurately sensed anyway?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

All sound good Colin, I think we are agreed that Auto hold is the one to run with. Thanks again for all your input