J11 Electrical System Faults

ICE, Equipment, Options
Claymore86
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Claymore86 »

Hi All,

I started having issues with my 1.6 J11 Tekna QQ late in 2018. Initially it started with the odd Auto start/stop function not working. This then progressed to having an array of system faults come up periodically on the dashboard as well as the car alarm activating with the car sitting locked and stationary, once the alarm was reset it again would go off ten minutes later every time. The electrical faults all seem to be with system sensors. We had to get the RAC out twice as the alarm would not stop going off and they said the battery was looking fine but opted to change it out to a new battery anyway. This made no difference and we were advised to lock it manually and take it to a Nissan garage for investigation.

Nissan had a look and opted to replace the Ultrasonic alarm unit which it thought was causing the problem, this solved the issue for a couple of months but as of this week we have had similar electrical sensor faults while driving, which seem to pop up for a while and may have disappeared the following day. And as of yesterday, the car alarm is going off continuously again. We are manually locking it to quieten the alarm for the time being.

The faults we are having with system sensors are:

Emergency Breaking System
Lane Departure notification
Parking Sensors
Tyre pressure sensors
Auto wipers
Auto Lights

We have booked the car back in with Nissan again three weeks from now, but I don't have much confidence that they are going to solve this issue in the long term. The attached image is of the dashboard with the errors.

Has anyone ever seen a similar issue with the sensor faults that seem to be triggering continuous issues with the car alarm?

Thanks,

Craig

IMG_20190304_192342.jpg

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Similar appeared on another post a few days ago...3 System fault notifications on his. He also had the Forward Emergency Braking system
warning light in the right speedo meter. Seeing commonality here and he's got no fix yet?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7985

Its very surprising that your Nissan garage couldn't nail this permanently. If its a Nissan Dealer/Garage he should have the Nissan CONSULT diagnostic tool. If thats no good what is good? Its Nissan Proprietary and is likely a factory tool also?

I saw this one time about 10 years back. New Peugot diesel car on hire...just about all warnings illuminated along M4 one very rainy afternoon. Called AA/RAC? and after a few phone calls they pulled the CD changer in the boot...water poured out. Thats not sensors but water partly shorting across multi connector pins. Not saying thats your problem...but things get very suspect.

You will likely need a 2nd opinion from Nissan garage elsewhere I'd say.

When these places run their diagnostics and usually at your expense you need to ask them for the full print out of diagnostic results. Thats before they clear errors etc. I have done that with BMW to their eye popping annoyance.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Did the RAC program the battery against the ECU? I have read many conflicting reports where some say you can just replace the battery like the old days, and some others saying you have to pair it against the computer otherwise you get problems.

Anyone know the definitive answer?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Claymore86

Post by Claymore86 »

I'm not sure if they programmed the battery against the ECU, I think Nissan would have double checked the battery when it was in for inspection the first time, well you'd like to hope so.

@calnorth Yes they definitely ran the NISSAN diagnostic tool, they said it was their opinion that it was the ultrasonic alarm unit causing the issue, but they didnt sound like they could definitely pinpoint that as being the issue.

They said that this time around they will send the diagnostic report down to the factory down South for feedback on the issue, I'm not sure if they did that last time round, but that would give another opinion at least. Yes I'll ask to get a printout of the diagnostic report this time around which should be helpful.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

@Claymore86, @chrisw99
Just checked the related Nissan QQ J11 repair docs (procedures) for what might be termed battery calibration? Nothing about calibration, just precautions when changing a battery and a final pass with diagnostics to check that battery disconnect/changing did not cause detectable errors. However, disconnecting/changing the Engine Controller (ECM) throws a whole forest of tests, checks and physical calibrations.

"Remove 12V battery terminal.
CAUTION:
After installing 12V battery, always check self-diagnosis results of all ECUs and erase DTC".

IMO the ECM holds battery values (various) and at boot up receives inputs from the power management system components that should meet such values..and perform adjustments ultimately raising DTCs on errors.

Think their software/systems people are associated with Cranfield University. They are involved with Industry/Military a lot...part of my old job experiences.

Check the latest post here: (its an old worry!)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7985

Cheers

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Claymore86

Post by Claymore86 »

Just to provide another update on this situation, the car is currently in with the Nissan garage on its third day.

Despite the picture of the faults I posted previously, the garage have told me that there are no faults listed at all in the diagnostic system since the car was last in last year. So based on this they cannot fix any faults that they cannot determine are there as there are none recorded.

I find this very strange and don't know why these faults are not recorded in the system.

The car has been out on road tests and they cannot replicate the faults, it is undergoing a repeat final test this afternoon after which if they don't find anything they will give us the car back as they feel there is nothing they can do.

I get the feeling if they end up doing nothing, I'm going to end up with a car alarm going off continously in the drive at some point next week and random electrical faults popping up.

I've also asked them to check the battery/connections again and maybe look for any loose connections around the ultrasonic alarm system which they replaced last time which seemed to stop the problem for a couple of months, maybe they tighted a connection in that job that has since loosened again.

We will see what happens later on but if they don't find any issues I may just be tempted to get rid of the car.

Craig
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Craig...what a terrible result. The car flags "System faults" to the driver. From your latest post it appears the faults are not System in that they have not been recorded (DTCs). The System being a set of critical services.

They should have isolated the "System faults" (NOT) via diagnostic tables where DTCs don't exist. Thats paper driven or on a laptop..a fault detection guidance document? I assume you showed them your tell tale fault flags picture above on the display

You either need a second competent opinion or a complaint direct to Nissan UK. Tricky and extremely irritating!

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Claymore86

Post by Claymore86 »

Thanks for the info Colin.

Yes if the faults have not been recorded now, then I would guess they couldn't have been recorded last time either as it was the same set of errors, I'll check up on that later with them. Yes I emailed the picture across to them and while they welcomed the image, they did go onto say that although they can see the issues in the picture, if they are not recorded with an error code (DTC) they can't/don't know what to fix to solve what is causing the fault flags.

Craig
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Somebody at Nissan UK, or at the factory has likely seen this before. And/or something similar. Never mind the lack of displayed fails at a particular time. They should have a central repository for failures in-service and perhaps during manufacture. If they don't then it's impossible for them to update stuff.

The mechanical failures are old hat. Now they have loaded the cars with sensing + allied electronics they should be tracking in-service performance, fails and errors. I have had the 2017 FL N. Connecta about 2 months and this little game bothers me...a lot. I was hoping I wouldn't be wedded to a DVM/Digital Scope ever again.

Keep at them Craig and let us know please.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Hi Guys

Was there a positive outcome to these issues. I purchased a second hand 2014 J11 and all the same faults are popping up intermittently. Chassis control fault, auto stop/start fault, parking sensor etc. Took it back to the dealer last Friday. They said they reset everything and charged/topped up the battery. Everything was fine for a day then it started popping up again.

I’m hoping you were able to get yours fixed so I can take mine to get sorted ASAP. It came with 6 months RAC cover, would this work be covered by RAC?

Thanks guys

Nick