Instructions on how to install aftermarket stereo (J10)

ICE, Equipment, Options
timothy_83
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by timothy_83 »

HI,

I've been a long time lurker and I've just carried out a DIY project to replace my OEM Bosch sat nav head unit with a Pumpkin Android auto and I thought I'd share the learnings as some information was not there during my research (in fact some contradicted). Also worth noting I am a car noob, I am good with computers and cables but I've never changed a tyre (just saying). I have a 2013 (J10) 360 model, basically a special edition Tekna with 360 camera.

Note - the steps should with work with any other head units.

Products used:
Head Unit: https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/pumpkin-a ... tooth.html

Canbus/patch lead: http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTKNS03 - I bought the whole set which comes with radio antenna adapter and universal patch lead. The only part that was unnecessary was the facia so I think it's worth it.

Camera retention module: http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/Prod ... CAM-NS1-RT

Other products worth noting (I haven't tried yet):
http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/Prod ... ISSANUSB.3 - this is to retain the USB/Aux port inside your arm rest.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-SMA-Fakr ... 2749.l2649 - this one I'm not 100% sure yet, but this should allow you to keep your OEM GPS receiver. However since the OEM one is so easy to remove you may want to use the one that came with the head unit and sell the OEM one to recoup some cost.

So to start:
Familiarise yourself with the OEM cables. There are only 5 wires you need to worry with once you open up your centre console since you're using adapters.

Then open the head unit box. Because the OEM in the car only has 5 cables to deal with, the bulk of the wiring work can be done at home.
First, attach the cables that comes with the head unit. There is a bunch of RCA cable for speaker in/out, I didn't bother plugging in that because I know my speaker output is via the ISO and I don't have any DVD player or head rest entertainment stuff to hook up.

IMG_0104.jpeg

Then do the easy one first. The antenna cable from the connect2 set can be simply plugged in.

IMG_0105.jpeg

Note - the blue wire should be connected to the blue wire from the head unit labelled AMP control. The wire from the connect2 comes with an unprotected crimp which you can tighten with some pliers.

Then lets do the camera retention cable:

IMG_0108.jpeg

Simples - Yellow RCA lead from camera adapter to head units yellow RCA connector labelled CAM IN.

IMG_0111.jpeg

So contrary to information out there, the head unit's ISO wires have a lead called reverse signal (orange wire), this is what you use to connect the red wire from the camera retention module. No need to cut the pink wire from the camera button and risk blowing up your fuses!

IMG_0113.jpeg

Next the steering wheel interface. Cannot stress enough that the box to convert the steering wheel signal is very peculiar with the order you plugged things in. I wasted a few hours because of this.

Since Pumpkin is a Chinese brand, I did not need to cut some of the short circuiting cables as instructed by the manual. Connect the key1, key2 and ground cable to the head unit wires. They have the same label and colour so very hard to mess up. The 3.5mm jack is left unused.

IMG_0110.jpeg

Then connect that to the right side of the interface box. (You can't physically plug it in the wrong side so don't worry)

IMG_0114.jpeg

Then connect the left hand side. DO NOT CONNECT anything else to this bunch of left hand side wire, this is what messed my install up. You need to plug the white socket to the car (for power and so the box can work it's magic) before you attach the big black ISO adapter to the head unit's wire wire bunch.

So next the car. There are many vids out there on how to open the centre panel so not going to bother to repeat here. But I'll say it's easier than it looks. I didn't even use the orange dedicated tabs to open it, I found a spanner that had an angle on it which did the job.

IMG_0116.jpeg

There should be 2x ground wire that you need to attach. One is from the power/steering wheel interface and the other is from the camera adapter. I found the screw holding in the 2 plastic air vents to do the job, I slipped the wire in between the plastic bit and the metal plate behind it.

IMG_0118.jpeg

The GPS antenna is just affixed on a metal plate right behind where the hazard light button would normally sit. The plate is held by one big screw and the little box is held but 2 little Phillip screws. You can remove that and put your head unit's GPS antenna there instead.
Notice I've put the wifi antenna right in front of it. That bit does not obstruct the panel going back on and works well for me.

And that's it, plug everything in: camera cable, power/steering cable, radio cable. Optionally, usb converter cable if you have one and/or converter cable if you want to keep the OEM GPS antenna and voila.

Things I haven't figured out: how to keep the OEM mic.

Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Thanks for the write up - very useful as I'm thinking of doing the same thing since my OEM radio is almost dead.

Just one question - why did you buy the Connect 2 Canbus/patch lead? What function does it have?

Thanks
timothy_83

Post by timothy_83 »

The 'patch' lead is the other half of the steering control interface (http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/Prod ... CTSNS001.2), i.e that black box in the picture. This is what you use to plug the steering control which is not usually part of a standard radio power cabling into the head unit. Most websites selling the CTSNS001.2 will force you to pick a patch lead with it.

Different head units have different way for you to plug these 'extra' controls in. For example if you bought a Pioneer head unit then you can buy the pioneer cable to make your life a little easier. In this case I got the universal patch lead, which required me to plug connect it to the head unit's key1, key2 and ground cable.

The universal patch lead can be used for pioneer, alpine etc. The patch lead comes with a manual that has instructions for you to reconfigure the cabling so that it is compatible. The benefit of the universal patch lead is that it is the cheapest one and it can be reused in the future if you switch you head unit to another brand, the con is that it is another thing you need to read the manual and worry about.
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Thanks again - most helpful
GraemeM

Post by GraemeM »

Thanks for the detailed run through.

My connect2 has died and I need to embark on the same process and I'm tempted to follow your set up with the pumpkin unit. The price of the Kenwood and pioneer units are crazy. I hope the head unit is living up to expectations?

Did you manage to get the 360 cameras to work ok? Ive heard they can be a problem.
Laurence247
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Laurence247 »

Thanks for this @timothy_83 it been great help 👍🏾
I have just installed a Sony XAV-AX3005DB head unit in my Qashqai using all the items you have listed here and the 360 cameras work brilliantly and more ch clear than that n the original unit. Only problem I have had is keeping the original USB/ And x port as it kept losing connection not sure whether it’s a lead that faulty but it kept say device not connected even though the phone was charging through the port. Otherwise it looks great very happy with the install just wait for the Fascia which I’ve ordered from China
Car Fascia Radio Panel for Nissan Qashqai 2007-2013
https://a.aliexpress.com/KstGCgtE
Last edited by Laurence247 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

This is the point where I say "Wow!"

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

You like it HOT in the car!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MichaelJR

Post by MichaelJR »

This thread has been very informative! I've just purchased a J10 QQ and thinking of replacing the 6CD unit as lack of bluetooth streaming is disappointing, and also sound quality is quite poor, particularly in the low end. I was hoping you could help with two things:
1. Did replacing the head unit make a noticeable difference to audio quality?
2. What is the difference between the kit shared above and the interface connector here:
https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT20NS06

Thanks.
Chris r

Post by Chris r »

Hi new on here, a very helpful and informative post, have done all in this post and unit worksifine apart from no sound, what an I doing wrong?
MrSweetE90
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by MrSweetE90 »

This is a great thread, I've been trying to learn as much about this as possible because I have the Qashqai+2 with the Bose Sound System and 360 Camera and the options for a head unit in 2021 are scarse! £400 Dasaitas or £200+ Alibaba units (which are hard to find) but the specs are rubbish!

I'm hoping I can use my Xtrons unit from my BMW which is a 9" display and use one of those connect2 harnesses to hook upto the xtrons unit. At this moment In time I'm not even too fussed about retaining steering wheel controls, but I need Android back haha! I'm going to pull the original unit later and see what the connectors look like for the Bose and 360 camera and try to buy the harness.
2012 Qashqai 1.6 DCI TEKNA Plus