Towbar electrics

ICE, Equipment, Options
RVW

Post by RVW »

Done a search found nothing.
Question about towbar electrics.
I have a 2016 Tekna 1.5dci and had a towbar and 13 pin electrics fitted by an accredited local towbar fitter. There is on the battery connection a permanent live wire that feeds pin 9. There is also a wire marked up as switched supply and this should go to pin 10 and only be live when the engine is running. This is to power the fridge in my van. Pin 9 is always live as it should but pin 10 is not regardless of engine running.
Has anyone had this experience and what did they do to rectify it? Don’t say go back to the fitter as I will be doing but just need some info on the problem and solution. Thanks
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Pin 10 is ignition wiring and I thought went through a relay, maybe wrong. If so, does the engine speed need to be up a bit to activate the relay?
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
RVW

Post by RVW »

Qashowner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:42 pm Pin 10 is ignition wiring and I thought went through a relay, maybe wrong. If so, does the engine speed need to be up a bit to activate the relay?

Yes you are correct it goes through a rely. The engine does not need to speed up. I took the car back to the place that fitted the bar etc and they plugged there test rig in and it all worked. Apparently it’s the smart alternator that governs things. If the battery is full and there is no extra load on the system the alternator shuts down and does not produce sufficient voltage to trigger the rely. So the caravan fridge needs to be connected and or headlights on to produce a load then the alternator pumps out enough to power the relay and fridge. If that makes sense?
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

RVW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 pm
Qashowner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:42 pm Pin 10 is ignition wiring and I thought went through a relay, maybe wrong. If so, does the engine speed need to be up a bit to activate the relay?

Yes you are correct it goes through a rely. The engine does not need to speed up. I took the car back to the place that fitted the bar etc and they plugged there test rig in and it all worked. Apparently it’s the smart alternator that governs things. If the battery is full and there is no extra load on the system the alternator shuts down and does not produce sufficient voltage to trigger the rely. So the caravan fridge needs to be connected and or headlights on to produce a load then the alternator pumps out enough to power the relay and fridge. If that makes sense?
Don't the DRLs produce enough load ?
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
RVW

Post by RVW »

Noddy1875 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 pm

Apparently not
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

RVW wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:14 am
Noddy1875 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 pm

Apparently not
Would a different load rated relay not work off the DRLs ? No idea just a thought.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI