Looking for a bit of help with the Nissan towbar electrics.

ICE, Equipment, Options
thomalan
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by thomalan »

I needed to fit a Towbar to my 2013 J10 Qashqai 2.0 CVT Tekna. The mech fitting of the towbar was easy and I bought the Nissan Genuine Qashqai Trailer Wiring Kit (KE505JD107) but have 2 problems
1. Rear fog light should cut out when trailer plug is inserted. The wiring was straightforward except one diag that suggested you must cut the wire in the car’s loom to the rear fog light and connect the grey wire from the trailer relay unit. Finding the wire was easy with a pin and a meter, I cut it and then had a choice of which end of the cut yellow to join the grey to. The diagram was no help as there is only a picture of some scissors and a wire, no schematic to show the actual circuit! However connecting it to either end of the cut yellow did not allow the rear fog to come on regardless of whether the trailer plug was inserted of not. Reconnecting the yellow allowed the light to work as normal.
I can hear the relay click inside the unit when the rear fog is switched on regardless of whether the trailer plug is in or out, because there is no microswitch in the socket itself I assumed the unit must sense the current going to the rear trailer lights and switch the rear fog off accordingly.
Does anyone know how this circuit is meant to work?

2. Switching off the Rear parking sensors. The car had Nissan rear parking sensors fitted already, they don’t trigger with just the towing ball but are on constantly when a trailer is hitched and reverse is selected. My understanding is that the standard Nissan trailer wiring should disable the sensors when the trailer is connected. The rear sensors are controlled by a Nissan unit called ‘RPS20’ apart from the sensor wires it has a black (to earth), red (joined to the reversing light wire in loom) and 2x Blue (not connected)
Does anyone know how this how this can be wired to be ‘switched off’ when towing?

Hoping someone can help as reversing with a trailer is hard enough without the rear parking sensors screaming :shock: - Alan
Last edited by thomalan on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I have a 2014 J11 and have a button to turn the reversing sensors on/off. I presume you would have the same if the sensors were factory fitted.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
thomalan

Post by thomalan »

Thanks but no switch on my J10, I thought the switch off would be automatic when trailer is connected
Sheepy

Post by Sheepy »

hello, I have this exact issue! Did you resolve it? Could use some help!
Thanks
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Apparently it can be resolved with dedicated wiring kit, but I have no knowledge of that on a Nissan, but I know it works on a Mercedes. The dedicated wiring disables reversing buzzers, is needed if want the car to tell you if your lights are working etc.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Diagrams...anywhere? Available freely?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Sheepy

Post by Sheepy »

I am using the dedicated nissan wiring kit and have wired it exactly as per the instructions, the only issue is the fog light cut off, if you wire it as shown in the diagram the car rear fog never comes on as the relay box thinks the trailer is plugged in 24/7. If you reinstate the wiring the rear fog comes on but doesn't automatically switch the fog off once the trailer is plugged in. The illustrations aren't that clear but I was on the right wire just for some reason isn't working as it should. Was hoping the op would respond as our issues are identical
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The Nissan Fog Light electrics shows that Fog Light Control is via the BCM unit. The BCM uses CAN Bus features that I hope aren't relevant here.

I cannot find any wiring info but at a guess I'd say

Using the 12v Fog Lamp signal from BCM and operated by driver:
A bypass relay is wired so that in the non energised mode it provides 12v to the Car Fog Lamp. Normally Closed contact (NC). Default driving mode.
Trailer plug-in will energise the bypass relay so that the contact switches 12v to the Trailer Fog Lamp. Disconnects Car Fog Lamp.

Conditions:
The existing signal wire from BCM to the Car Fog Lamp is cut and connected to the bypass relay contact centre pin.
The bypass relay coil is connected to 12v via the Trailer socket so that Car/Trailer switchover can occur. BCM Fog Lamp signal is then passed to the Trailer Fog Lamp itself. The Car Fog Lamp contact is open circuit/Normally Open (NO). Car Fog Lamp OFF
Unplug Trailer and the bypass relay de-enegises so returning Car Fog Lamp functionality. Default driving mode.

Note:
The Trailer plug connects two socket pins together which routes 12v back to the bypass relay, energising it, signalling that a Trailer is connected...basically.

Possibly too simple? Don't think this can be easily related to the market...too much black box stuff.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Sheepy

Post by Sheepy »

You're basically spot on. The issue seems to be where I'm splicing into the loom for the fog supply. I went in at a point before the wiring harness plug which was a yellow wire that was definitely the fog light supply (12v only when rear fog on). This is what appears to be the point the diagram shows. However I have since found another diagram which implies you splice in further down the line, same yellow wire. However when I test this yellow wire it permanently has a 12v feed, doesn't appear effected by the fog switch yet appears to be the same wire. It's most bizarre
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

So its three 12v lines we need to check for: (a good ground of course)

1. From BCM and on the car. BCM should switch between 0v and 12v with the drivers Fog Lamp ON/OFF switch. Test for that switching function
2. A permanent 12v supply that passes to the Trailer and returns to the bypass relay coil when the Trailer plugs in. Test for that plug-in switching at the Bypass relay coil....wherever the relay is?
3. From the Bypass relay contact to the Trailer Fog Lamp

The relay contacting is of course different for Car and Trailer Fog Lamps....like this:

87 is the Car Fog lamp feed
87a is the Trailer Fog feed
30 is the BCM Fog signal from driver position
Say 86 is the 12v return from Trailer and signalling Trailer connected...85 = Ground

Relay shown in energised state...Trailer plugged in/Trailer Fog Lamp selected

Changeover_relay.png

Last edited by calnorth on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta