Sat nav warnings

ICE, Equipment, Options
Lusky
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Lusky »

Pretty sure I will be in trouble with the forum police for asking this as its probably been asked before (I can't find it)
Is there a way of setting up warnings on the sat nav for speed cameras? Live traffic jams and road works etc? Im using connect 3 and have up to date maps v4.
Thanks.
2015 QASHQAI N-TEC + DIG-T 5 DOOR HATCHBACK PETROL. BLUE.

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Cameras - yes - it's built in - turn it on. (A search will elicit more info on importing more up-to-date info)

Live traffic and road works - no - use Google or Waze...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I've never used Waze but I understand its good for live traffic warnings. General traffic announcements (TA) should be selectable in the Connect3 menus and which uses the VHF radio systems (DAB/FM).

Nissan provide data for some sort of traffic related detection but its not supported by them and is cr*p. Its stuck in their Connect software and I'm wondering when they'll clear it out...you may experience odd beeps on corners as a result of it.

Anyway:

Speed camera detection requires a small "database" of geographic co-ordinates (Lat/Long)....as with Google Maps. The small database has a cost and is a subscription to the likes of https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Its actually a 3 column Excel spreadsheet file...never a database. The co-ordinates are actually called Points Of Interest (POI) and have to be manually loaded into the Connect boxes. The file can contain POI's covering Europe also. The French don't like that!

The camera database is managed/collated by someone at pocketgpsworld so it is somewhere near accurate and should be clear of duplicate POI's etc...hence the cost. Mobile speed camera positions may not be so accurate of course. I've used it for years...its ok really.

Search for Speed Camera posts on this site to find out more.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
zxe

Post by zxe »

I actually use my phones sat nav, i have Waze, Syagic and Google and as such i don't use the Nissan one. All theses will have Camera and traffic options
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

calnorth - I never loaded anything onto my Qashqai - just made sure the relevant setting for cameras was on. OK so they won't be as up-to-date as an uploaded POI set but they were there.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I have to say that I'm very impressed with Google Maps in the way it both estimates very accurately the time of arrival and en route shows alternative routes with times.

I can't find one showing on Android Auto but it's like this:

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

gloucester wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:49 am calnorth - I never loaded anything onto my Qashqai - just made sure the relevant setting for cameras was on. OK so they won't be as up-to-date as an uploaded POI set but they were there.
Yes...there is a set of Nissan POIs in the Nav system but Nissan doesn't support them. Its got some weird file name if you look in POI's and that cannot be deleted/edited/overwritten.
Mines a 67 plate N-Connecta and its 2 years on with nothing from Nissan...no update/downloads on their website.

There is a mobile speed camera placed (fairly regularly) about 1km from me on the way to shops/schools etc...just over a rise. So if I boot the car a bit I'm in trouble SP30 + fine easy. So I have taken the Lat/Long position from Google and stuck it into a user loadable Excel file. For personal POIs like that you don't need to subscribe to any website gang.

Something like a Garmin GPS is also useful when driving to mark such speed cameras and so on....add to Excel (file) later. I don't deliberately speed but can too easily get to 35mph in a 30 zone......accidentally.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta