Battery earth cable issue

ICE, Equipment, Options
sydz
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by sydz »

Hello everyone, new 2nd time poster here. I’ve run a brief search to see if anyone had a similar issue. Found some but not quite what I’m after.

I was just on the motorway got back after a few hours; immediately tried to start the car and it wouldn’t. Looked under the bonnet and noticed the battery earth cable had snapped from where it connects to the body. Had a look around and saw the car has two earth cables neither intact (one cable is close to the front left of the engine and the other further below on the right) - one must have snapped a while ago. A proper fix would be to replace the cable. Any ideas what to look for and where from? Should I contact Nissan?

I gather for now I can simply DIY it and stick the snapped end anywhere to the engine and it should get me going while I source the part. Do you see any issues with this approach? I tested and can get the engine running doing this. I need to be on the motorway again in two days and don’t have a garage that can fit me in.

Many thanks.
2007 Tekna 4x4 Petrol, lovely blue :twisted:

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I'm not at all technical but, after all, an earth is an earth isn't it? Nothing more, nothing less?

Halfords sell generic ones which might fit?

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchRouter?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&action=search&srch=earth
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)