Erase second key from memory - lost key

ICE, Equipment, Options
zsimaiof
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by zsimaiof »

Hi.
i think i've lost my second car key from my J11 (Nov 14). I was wondering if there is any workaround to erase this key from the car's memory, without visiting my local dealer.
P.s. this is NOT the intelligent key.
it's this one :
Thank you.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Since nobody has responded:

I suspect its a dealer job in accessing the on board electronics. To delete/add key registration.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I don't recall the question being asked before. And like calnorth I don't know the answer.

I'm mystified as to how keys with rolling codes work - since I only use one key, so the other spends months in it's secret hiding place but operates the car immediately it's tried.

Check out https://www.theautolocksmith.co.uk/stolen-car-keys/

3. Call an auto locksmith
An auto locksmith can help even if you have another set of keys. Most keys can be deprogrammed making it impossible to stat up the vehicle. An auto locksmith will plug a diagnostic machine into your car and remove all programmed keys and de synch remote locking fobs. If required a new key can be made to fit your existing locks and start the car. It is also possible to change locks so the mechanical key will no longer turn in the ignition and door locks. This will cost much more than just replacing the key and is not always necessary.

Also ponder this one:

4. Contact your insurance provider
While you are waiting for the auto locksmith engineer to arrive you should think about getting in touch with you car insurer. Some insurance companies include key protection as part of their cover and may contribute towards the cost. It is not unheard of for insurers to request a full lock change so its a good idea to check what their requirements are.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

gloucester wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 am Welcome to this forum.

I don't recall the question being asked before. And like calnorth I don't know the answer.

I'm mystified as to how keys with rolling codes work - since I only use one key, so the other spends months in it's secret hiding place but operates the car immediately it's tried.
You can find stuff on Youtube about it. Simply though when the car is commanded by the key fob to open or close both the key fob code generation and the car code detection system increment/generate new codes. They must roll over precisely to a new identical codes.

They have the same coding processes to ensure the same code is produced. So when they have rolled coding identically the car opens etc. Differences will cause the car to remain closed...or whatever they need to do e.g nothing?

The dormant/caged 2nd key recognition is interesting:

I've seen mention of key code memory and that each distinct code is indexed. I'm assuming that when the 2nd key fires a code with an earlier/old index number to the car it'll fail in the car detection. The car expects an updated/rolled up 1st key code. The car would them roll back to the earlier 2nd Key index just received, pick its code and compare that with the code of the 2nd Key just received. This happens in microseconds and won't need syncing with the Key fob I'm sure. Codes roll along from there until the 1st key fob appears...repeat above.

As i remember the encryption is similar to a Sky TV box/card...not exactly, but of similar awkwardness to make actual code hacking near impossible. Relay/Replay is so much easier
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta