Changing Ignition Barrels

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

This maybe of help...or perhaps contact them if they still exist?. The barrel/body appears very similar to my BMW job mentioned above. I had to change part of the barrel unit which was the shaft from the bottom of the lock into the electrical switch.

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

ahmed1234
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by ahmed1234 »

HI

i Have Nissan qashqai j10 , i had issue that my ignition barrel stuck, i have researched that to change that i need to change the ecu bcm fuse box and speedometer. i bought a kit of the ebay and fitting the items.

when tried starting the car it will not crank and ignition it does light all light up.

the parts come off working car central locking works. with my old ecu and bcm the central locking never worked but the car started fine.

any ideas thanks
Keyman

Post by Keyman »

Bit late but when you change the barrel, you definitely do NOT need to change ecu or anything else.
I've replaced/repaired quite a few of these (usually keys that wont pull out of ign) .
If the barrel is replaced, I would usually re-pin the new one to work with the original keys. In this case I generally cut new blades to code (as if from the factory eliminating any wear) and fit them to the original remotes.
Ignition barrels can usually be repaired.
I'm in Benfleet, Essex.
Hope this helps.
If forum members need more advice on keys/remotes or locks (of anykind), email me
castle.locks@btinternet.com
QashieLover
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashieLover »

I have done A LOT of reading regarding this issue which seems to affect quite a lot of 2009 to 2013 Nissan Models...

I am currently experiencing this issue.

2011 Qashqai. I have absolutely loved my Qashqai until the last few weeks where I have paid out over £500 on fixes. My air con not working great, apparently another £260 to fix that AND now this.
I had it in my head to possibly get a newer Qashqai cos I love it so much but am getting the feeling they don't last the test of time, so will rethink my next car choice. Longevity is a key factor in my car choice and Nissan doesn't seem to have it.

Central locking was working perfectly. Washed my car and when I had finished drove it back into its parking space and tried to lock it. Pushed the button while walking away and didn't see the lights flash. Walked around the car pressing the lock button on my key in case there was a signal blocker. Thought battery in the key fob may have died. Went and grabbed the spare. Also not working.
I had to get into the car, thinking a fuse may have gone. But the internal button for locking the doors, worked fine. This locked all the doors, but had to get out driver door. Other doors remained locked then had to manually lock the driver door.
Thinking it'll all be OK in the morning. Nope continued to not work.

Autospark confirmed would need to plug it into diagnostics to see if any issues appear.
And various YouTube videos and forums have all talked about experiencing this issue. But starting with a sticky key, key getting stuck in the ignition ( which I experienced last year).

Most refer to replacing ignition barrel due to faulty remote control module... Have a guy linking it into diagnostics on Thursday...

But seemingly a common issue with many qashqai's? Has a recall ever been raised for this issue for any models?
Barry E

Post by Barry E »

This is my first post, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I have a Qashqai 1.5 DCI 2011. The igition barrel won't turn fully back to lock and presumably reset the immoboliser. It has a button to push when switching fully off. It will turn forward and all the lights come on but won't fire up. Nissan put a new ignition barrel assembly in. That lasted about a week, they then said it also needed the control assembly which was done, at no small cost. A couple of months on and the ignition barrel problem is back. Is there a way to reset the thing so that the barrel communicates with the control assembly again or is that wishful thinking? Thanks for any help.