Head Unit Fault Finding - PX5 / MTCD Android

ICE, Equipment, Options
nickc78
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by nickc78 »

Bit of a long story but I was fixing the issue with the reverse camera not working in my J11 with this unit - turns out the ISO connector was not sending anything to the original camera on signal and ground wires - I solved this by splicing the camera on signal with the reverse signal lead and connected the ground to the ground coming off the head unit ISO connector. All was working fine but then when I put the unit back in place I noticed that it had died (completely blank, no lights, nothing!).

I assumed perhaps I had shorted something and blown a fuse but I have checked all the relevant glove box fuses as well as the 20a on the back of the head-unit and they are all fine.

I am still getting 12v on the battery wire at the connector that goes to the head unit - I don't seem to be getting anything on the ACC wire at all but I assume that even without 12v on ACC as long as I am still getting 12v on the battery wire into the head unit that it should theoretically be working?

I don't know if I need to go hunting for more fuses or if I can assume that the head-unit is bricked so just need to get a new one?

Nomader

Post by Nomader »

you also need 12v on the ACC for the MTCD to fire up
if you are not getting 12v on ACC check the car fuses..
nickc78

Post by nickc78 »

Thanks Nomader - will crack on with fuses then - not sure where else to check though - yanked most of the ones in the glove box and they all look fine. I am starting to wonder if in all the connecting/disconnecting I might have bent a pin on a plug so will check them too. I suppose as a test to confirm if the unit is kaput I could temporarily splice the battery lead into the ACC lead to see if that wakes it up?
Nomader

Post by Nomader »

yes you could do that... but most likely since you get nothing on the 12v ACC then is is most probably that.
I have actually removed the ACC completely fromm the MTCD and got 12v directly from the fuse box (i took 12v from the fuse that supplies 12v to the 12v socket inside the armrest.. that way the MTCD will stay powered for a few minutes after i have removed the key.. i like listening to music while walking away from the car
nickc78

Post by nickc78 »

Thanks will have a go this evening.
Nomader

Post by Nomader »

i used something like that:
https://www.discountcarstereo.com/mini-tap.html
nickc78

Post by nickc78 »

So had a fiddle tonight and half-sorted it. I did a test with a lead spliced off the battery wire and it fired up straight-away. I tried to trouble-shoot the issue with the ACC lead but struggled to get my multi-meter into the Qashqai ISO harness on the supposed ACC wire - I may have to resort to cutting the wire to get the tester on it to do a proper test but want to avoid that. I assumed it was on the fuse in the glove box called elec_auto_acc, but that fuse is fine, I also checked the fuse marked audio too and a bunch of others and they were all good - not sure if it is perhaps one of the ones under the bonnet but they are right bugger to get to. For now I am going to leave it as is - just need to remember to shut down the stereo before exiting the car. If I cannot get to the bottom of it I may just use your idea of branching off 12v socket fuse instead.
Nomader

Post by Nomader »

I blew that fuse once. And I had trouble finding it.
My car is a LHR and the fuses aren't in the glove compartment. My fuses are right and left of the dash. The part that is exposed when you open the door. This fuse was strangely on the right side.i might open the thing up for you tomorrow if you can wait and check the name.