LED External Bulbs - Retrofit and the Law

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I'll just fling in a hand grenade here. Whats on the market and particularly eBay and AliExpress? Not much thats correctly certified (EU/UK) I suspect.....faked? I note some over bright/spread lights on the road and have been wondering.

I am considering changing my Boot bulb to LED and on a search around I bumped into the following FAQ document by Philips UK. This document as attached is dated 2019 and answers many important questions. As regards cheapo Internal LEDs what bothers me most is fire risk.

See Section 4 Page 10:

4.7. What is the specific regulation that LED retrofit bulbs must conform to?
Today the retrofitting of halogen, xenon and LED bulbs is not allowed by existing legislation. In the EU, automotive
parts must be certified to UNECE specifications for use on public roads. Current ECE certifications only apply to
halogen, xenon and LED bulbs installed in new vehicles:
- ECE R37 for OEM halogen
- ECE R99 for OEM Xenon
- ECE R128 for OEM LED

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-dam/b2c/en_GB/experience/automotive/led-bulbs/LED_retrofit_faq_emea_2019_en.pdf
LED_retrofit_faq_emea_2019_en.pdf
(748.94 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Don't worry about it, no one in their right mind is going to check if your number plate light has any regulated stamps. Just make sure they are not over bright and white. At 12v the worst that's going to happen is that the LED or capacitor if fitted will fail.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Certainly won't be worrying as not fitting any.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta