USB charging power?

ICE, Equipment, Options
parky74
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by parky74 »

Does anyone else think that the charging rate of the USB in the central armrest is weak? Mine does charge but only seems to add around 10% battery per each hour of charging. Previous cars have been more like 30% per hour.
Does 10% seem to be the norm for the Qashqai or could it be a sign of a dodgey connection?
Lee.

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I didn't use that socket for charging since I had a music stick in there and I plugged my phone into an adaptor in the accessory socket relying on bluetooth since mine wasn't an Android Auto version.

I don't recall anyone quoting the power output of the USB socket. Let's Google

I've found this which was posted in 2014 but by someone with a 2014 car - http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/usb-not-charging-iphone_topic13846.html:

Yes, just for reference for others who may come across this thread, the USB socket is limited to 0.5amps. This is the standard USB spec.

Correct phone chargers can provide much more, generally between 2-4amps.

Sometimes, the cable supplied with a phone charger will ONLY be a charger cable, hence connecting it to a computer will result in the phone being charged but will not allow you to transfer data.

If its a data cable as well, the phone will send a signal back to a charger unit to tell the charger it can take more than 0.5amps, other times there is a trick that's done with the USB cable and 2 of the pins are shorted (if I remember correctly) to force the charger to deliver a higher ampage.

In most cases where the phone is being actively used, connecting to a 0.5amp socket will result in the battery either staying at the same charge, but more often than not it just slows down the depletion of the battery. This can actually be detrimental to the device over long term as the phones charge circuit and battery get quite hot. I have often had issues with cheap chargers not supplying enough and the phone goes into overheat mode after about an hour of use (esp when wedged in a cradle attached to a windscreen in summer using satnav!!). If the phone then its possible to charge the device but at an extremely slow rate

There are several other references to trying a different lead. I have a triple-way charging lead in the car but I know it's slow - I only keep it there so iPhone users can topup - slowly...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
parky74

Post by parky74 »

gloucester wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 pm I didn't use that socket for charging since I had a music stick in there and I plugged my phone into an adaptor in the accessory socket relying on bluetooth since mine wasn't an Android Auto version.

I don't recall anyone quoting the power output of the USB socket. Let's Google

I've found this which was posted in 2014 but by someone with a 2014 car - http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/usb-not-charging-iphone_topic13846.html:

Yes, just for reference for others who may come across this thread, the USB socket is limited to 0.5amps. This is the standard USB spec.

Correct phone chargers can provide much more, generally between 2-4amps.

Sometimes, the cable supplied with a phone charger will ONLY be a charger cable, hence connecting it to a computer will result in the phone being charged but will not allow you to transfer data.

If its a data cable as well, the phone will send a signal back to a charger unit to tell the charger it can take more than 0.5amps, other times there is a trick that's done with the USB cable and 2 of the pins are shorted (if I remember correctly) to force the charger to deliver a higher ampage.

In most cases where the phone is being actively used, connecting to a 0.5amp socket will result in the battery either staying at the same charge, but more often than not it just slows down the depletion of the battery. This can actually be detrimental to the device over long term as the phones charge circuit and battery get quite hot. I have often had issues with cheap chargers not supplying enough and the phone goes into overheat mode after about an hour of use (esp when wedged in a cradle attached to a windscreen in summer using satnav!!). If the phone then its possible to charge the device but at an extremely slow rate

There are several other references to trying a different lead. I have a triple-way charging lead in the car but I know it's slow - I only keep it there so iPhone users can topup - slowly...
I'm probably best off going for one of those 12V>USB adaptors as well as mine doesn't have Android Auto either.
Thanks.
Lee.
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

I also have a usb stick in the usb slot full of tunes as it's a aux port i thought and not a chargeing point. But did have a twin usb charger in the power socket that worked a treat. Then upgraded that last week with a nissan dual charge point that you fit in the rear of the centre console 20min install time looks nice and neat 😀
Oz_Qai

Post by Oz_Qai »

This is my setup up a dual usb charging adapter in the cigarette lighter outlet. Charges at 2.4amps.

20190702_145005.jpg

parky74

Post by parky74 »

Oz_Qai wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 am This is my setup up a dual usb charging adapter in the cigarette lighter outlet. Charges at 2.4amps.
Looks great.
I need one of those.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I have a Texet one - thought it was better getting a branded one - works fine

It's also useful when hiring a car abroad.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)