Headlamp failure when turning right!

ICE, Equipment, Options
Baldyian
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Baldyian »

Hi all, i"ve finally got round to joining after being a long time lurker .......well @18 months since i made the bad choice of getting a Qashqai :lol:

As with most of the posts on here, i"ve obviously joined for a reason ........Qashqai issues, well one i"ve been unable too sort out so far, along with the extremely limited knowledge of my local Nissan dealer :roll:

I hope this is acceptable in an intro post rather than posting in the Forum? MODs please edit etc as required.

My current issue with my 2017 Tekna 1.5DCI is that whilst driving when the lights are on in both normal or Auto modes everything works as intended. That is until i turn right.....the left headlight then turns too the right whilst the right headlight turns off! until the steering returns and the right headlight turns back on!

Sometimes the Warning "Headlight system fault" shows on the dash along with a "Beep" but not always.

This has been getting more and more regular over the last month or so and while being frustrating comes with the added risk of other drivers thinking i"m flashing them out of junctions etc etc when the headlight flashes back on and i"ve had quite a few near misses :o

I"ve been into my local Nissan service centre thingy and have shown them a video of the above issue and left an info sheet again stating the issue, obviously this made no difference at all and i was told all was OK ....."it"s working as it should" .....Yes whilst it"s stood but not when driving :evil:

I"ve searched online without success for this issue before wasting my time with Nissan and i"ve had to book into another dealer 30 miles away next week hoping they actually listen too what i say and sort it out, but obviously i"d rather sort it out myself and cancel my appointment.

I will add that no fault codes are being stored for this, and no work or damage etc etc around the right headlight area which might indicate a cause.

I"ll try and add a video link showing the issue (hopefully that"s acceptable ) and sorry for the long story

Hi all, i"ve finally got round to joining after being a long time lurker .......well @18 months since i made the bad choice of getting a Qashqai :lol:

As with most of the posts on here, i"ve obviously joined for a reason ........Qashqai issues, well one i"ve been unable too sort out so far, along with the extremely limited knowledge of my local Nissan dealer :roll:

I hope this is acceptable in an intro post rather than posting in the Forum? MODs please edit etc as required.

My current issue with my 2017 Tekna 1.5DCI is that whilst driving when the lights are on in both normal or Auto modes everything works as intended. That is until i turn right.....the left headlight then turns too the right whilst the right headlight turns off! until the steering returns and the right headlight turns back on!

Sometimes the Warning "Headlight system fault" shows on the dash along with a "Beep" but not always.

This has been getting more and more regular over the last month or so and while being frustrating comes with the added risk of other drivers thinking i"m flashing them out of junctions etc etc when the headlight flashes back on and i"ve had quite a few near misses :o

I"ve been into my local Nissan service centre thingy and have shown them a video of the above issue and left an info sheet again stating the issue, obviously this made no difference at all and i was told all was OK ....."it"s working as it should" .....Yes whilst it"s stood but not when driving :evil:

I"ve searched online without success for this issue before wasting my time with Nissan and i"ve had to book into another dealer 30 miles away next week hoping they actually listen too what i say and sort it out, but obviously i"d rather sort it out myself and cancel my appointment.

I will add that no fault codes are being stored for this, and no work or damage etc etc around the right headlight area which might indicate a cause.

I"ll try and add a video link showing the issue (hopefully that"s acceptable ) and sorry for the long story

Regards Ian

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

That's weird.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Baldyian

Post by Baldyian »

gloucester wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:58 pm That's weird.
Which bit....my heavy breathing or the Lighting issue :D

I"ve had enough EGR & other issues, plus 2 new batteries in 18 months to annoy me without this curve-ball :roll:

Apart from the heated seats i find nothing redeeming about the QQ .......it"s days may be numbered. Mind you if i flash another driver out of a junction again it may be sooner than later :lol:

Ian
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

Definitely NOT working as it should. You could try an auto electrician, but obviously this will cost you. I would take it back to Nissan as it's still under warranty.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
darko.milas

Post by darko.milas »

Hello!

I have the same problem but when turning left.

Can you tell me what did you do about it? Did you manage to fix it without buying a new headlight?

Best regards!
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Surely its an input signal to the control unit

So the steering angle sensor will communicate with the headlamp control unit , and instruct the headlamp to turn.

Short of swapping components , then the fault memory should help.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

darko.milas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:30 pm Hello!

I have the same problem but when turning left.

Can you tell me what did you do about it? Did you manage to fix it without buying a new headlight?

Best regards!
You might find it quicker to send the original poster a private message.
I don’t think he’s a regular and might not log in to the forum regularly
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

As far as I see it we only have technical details upto 2017 (J11A) which likely doesn't have swinging L/R lamps amongst models. Aiming is UP/DOWN only.

A dealer would use the CONSULT tool to cycle this system through its movement/sweep. Thats it really.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Sinashad

Post by Sinashad »

Hello!

I have the same problem. curve lighting has problems

i have shown Nissan but they can't find it. they say everything is working normalt. how to fix it?! :|

Best regards!
Skyhawk

Post by Skyhawk »

Hi, I have a Qashqai 2017 Tekna J11
With dipped headlights when I turn left - no problems. BUT turning right, the dipped beam switches off until the turn is completed, when it turns back on again. This is accompanied by a single "beep" alarm and a notice that comes up "WARNING Headlight System Fault".
What worries me is I get the headlight unit repaced at great cost, and it turns out to me a command from some other part of the control system. Strange I am not the only one with this fault. Could it be an inherent defect in the design or programming?
Have you had any further replies that might shed light (excuse the pun) on what to do ?