Towbar electrics

ICE, Equipment, Options
Tony1823
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Tony1823 »

Hi all,
I have a late 2019 qashqai. I’ve just fitted a towbar using a dedicated wiring loom made by Erich Jaeger GmbH. There is a 7-pin plug on my trailer so I ordered a 7-pin kit. The wiring loom to the tow socket has 8 wires and not the usual 7. Can anyone tell me what the 8th wire is for? Is it likely that it is used to sense a trailer when attached and disable the rear beepers. More confusing is that the extra wire is listed as grey/white but is actually grey/blue.
Thanks,
Tony1823

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I'm not clear on this as I'm not sure of your installation procedure. I cannot find on the repair documents (electrical) we have what has to be connected in from the car rear loom. Where is the eighth wire exactly?

My first guess is that the forward camera view may have to be adjusted down on trailer connection. That would be part of CAN bus data signalling and I have seen it for VW vehicles.

The Jaeger GmbH website has no mention of it and I don't see wiring diagrams which is very unhelpful. Just 7 and 13 pin connectors with looms.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
jbourbon
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by jbourbon »

A bit late perhaps but just joined.
In this case there must be a switch in the towing socket which connects or disconnects the fog light. 12v is coming from the car´s foglight switch and is connected with the trailer when the plug is inserted. At the same time 12V is disconnected from the extra wire that has to go to back to the car´s fog light(s). The original wire from the foglight has to be cut to connect these 2 wires to the towbar socket.
Seen this kind of towing socket installed in a Jeep for example. Cheers.