Battery Discharge

ICE, Equipment, Options
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Nissan recommends resetting the cumulative discharge counter in the IPDM when changing the battery, theres no option within consult to program in a new battery or calibrate it for a specific battery like some other manufacturers have, some scan tools have a functional test withing there menus for battery change and all it does is reset that counter which is just a counter for how many times the battery has been discharged. But I dont know if resetting this counter changes the way the energy management control behaves such as the way it charges the battery or something like that. If you rang the dealer you do know your probably speaking to a service advisor they think you can just fit a new bcm without programming, most I have encountered have little technical knowledge.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

lewisbryant wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:58 am Nissan recommends resetting the cumulative discharge counter in the IPDM when changing the battery, theres no option within consult to program in a new battery or calibrate it for a specific battery like some other manufacturers have, some scan tools have a functional test withing there menus for battery change and all it does is reset that counter which is just a counter for how many times the battery has been discharged. But I dont know if resetting this counter changes the way the energy management control behaves such as the way it charges the battery or something like that. If you rang the dealer you do know your probably speaking to a service advisor they think you can just fit a new bcm without programming, most I have encountered have little technical knowledge.
Lewis...the PCS+-+POWER+CONTROL+SYSTEM doc shows Consult in action as regards Coulomb Counting - Clearing. Pic below. I don't see the point of the Counter system unless its monitoring and managing via the Alternator regulator. Anyway, the RAC guy who changed my FIAMM early this year pointed out the rather large (over) size of the Alternator. I didn't talk to him much about that but clearly the power requirements of the QQ are great and something needs to reign charging in, or boosting? I think AGM/EFB batteries claim to be able take much higher charge rates. Stop/Start function and winter cold starts etc don't come free of hassle. Those Battery types are specifically employed for their capability to charge at higher than earlier systems rates. Fast and high currents.

The Dealers mentioned are wrong anyway...its standard procedure and to protect/manage a replacement/new Battery.

idpm BAt Couner.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta