Upgrade SD satnav to non-SD satnav

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

chosan wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 pm
calnorth wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:56 am @chosan

It was mentioned earlier in the thread (this page) by @Cod quote "I’d avoid the Android head units at all cost. They may be ok purely for CarPlay but other than that they are slow and glitchy with app crashes" unquote

There are updates on XDA Developers - 350 pages of info allied:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... a-t3575155

I haven't read that lot yet...some of it. Theres also a German site and likely Asian. it appears interest is quite wide. Apps of course can be flakey until they are patched up. The quality of the hardware could be an issue. I cannot tell at a website glance and at near £450 and beholding to China I won't take a chance

As regards performance I've only seen the Italian and some German stuff. At least the Italian channel shows that the unit has not died....suddenly.

Perhaps you can demonstrate the performance you experience? Many would like to know I suspect.
I can only refer to my own 4 years of experience. As I said before, the early units were of various quality. Since a couple of years ago referring to Android 8, 9 and now 10 I've not had a single problem. I'm using USB-modem for the Internet-connection. Either that or teetering from your phone work without any problems.

The only brand I would recommend is Dasaita.

When you read XDA you have to careful because this site is full of people trying to upgrade from Android X to Android X and so on. A pinch of salt between your fingers is recommended when referring to XDA.
ok...thanks. I'm well aware of the comments at XDA's open forums. However, its the only place that faults/errors etc can be reported. It also looks if one person is doing the software "work" ...bit disappointing really.

Is Dasaita providing adequate support...updates and so on?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Cod

Post by Cod »

The two units I have had were a Pumpkin branded one from 2015 in an A3. The hardware inside it was terrible. No shielding for audio cables or the microphone connections. The software would start glitching out each year requiring a hard reset of the unit. I was happy enough when I got it as it added sat nav, reversing camera etc to the car but it all went downhill. Not sure on the brand of unit in my Van as it's in storage but the nav app crashed after about an hour, it's only 6 months old so in the sweet spot I guess.

The units you are taking about may well be much better but i've been put off them completely and would much prefer the latest connect unit form Nissan.

Yes, the connect unit will need pairing to the car, not an issue for a dealership, or anyone with Consult. Will cost somewhere around £100 for Nissan to pair the unit

P.S this thread was for the head unit upgrade from SD to Non SD
Gone... 2018 Qashqai Tekna 1.6Dci 4x4 Metallic Red
Replaced With... 2019 Qashqai Tekna 1.7Dci 4x4 Pearlescent Storm White
chosan

Post by chosan »

calnorth wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:31 pm
chosan wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 pm
calnorth wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:56 am @chosan

It was mentioned earlier in the thread (this page) by @Cod quote "I’d avoid the Android head units at all cost. They may be ok purely for CarPlay but other than that they are slow and glitchy with app crashes" unquote

There are updates on XDA Developers - 350 pages of info allied:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... a-t3575155

I haven't read that lot yet...some of it. Theres also a German site and likely Asian. it appears interest is quite wide. Apps of course can be flakey until they are patched up. The quality of the hardware could be an issue. I cannot tell at a website glance and at near £450 and beholding to China I won't take a chance

As regards performance I've only seen the Italian and some German stuff. At least the Italian channel shows that the unit has not died....suddenly.

Perhaps you can demonstrate the performance you experience? Many would like to know I suspect.
I can only refer to my own 4 years of experience. As I said before, the early units were of various quality. Since a couple of years ago referring to Android 8, 9 and now 10 I've not had a single problem. I'm using USB-modem for the Internet-connection. Either that or teetering from your phone work without any problems.

The only brand I would recommend is Dasaita.

When you read XDA you have to careful because this site is full of people trying to upgrade from Android X to Android X and so on. A pinch of salt between your fingers is recommended when referring to XDA.
ok...thanks. I'm well aware of the comments at XDA's open forums. However, its the only place that faults/errors etc can be reported. It also looks if one person is doing the software "work" ...bit disappointing really.

Is Dasaita providing adequate support...updates and so on?
They are Hotaudio on XDA.
chosan

Post by chosan »

Cod wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 pm The two units I have had were a Pumpkin branded one from 2015 in an A3. The hardware inside it was terrible. No shielding for audio cables or the microphone connections. The software would start glitching out each year requiring a hard reset of the unit. I was happy enough when I got it as it added sat nav, reversing camera etc to the car but it all went downhill. Not sure on the brand of unit in my Van as it's in storage but the nav app crashed after about an hour, it's only 6 months old so in the sweet spot I guess.

The units you are taking about may well be much better but i've been put off them completely and would much prefer the latest connect unit form Nissan.

Yes, the connect unit will need pairing to the car, not an issue for a dealership, or anyone with Consult. Will cost somewhere around £100 for Nissan to pair the unit

I'm just answering questions. In your case with Pumpkin, they are not a manufacturer. Just a reseller branding units they been buying from elsewhere. Buy from a manufacturer and you will have another experience. That's it so you don't get upset by more Off T.
Cod

Post by Cod »

chosan wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Cod wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 pm The two units I have had were a Pumpkin branded one from 2015 in an A3. The hardware inside it was terrible. No shielding for audio cables or the microphone connections. The software would start glitching out each year requiring a hard reset of the unit. I was happy enough when I got it as it added sat nav, reversing camera etc to the car but it all went downhill. Not sure on the brand of unit in my Van as it's in storage but the nav app crashed after about an hour, it's only 6 months old so in the sweet spot I guess.

I'm just answering questions. In your case with Pumpkin, they are not a manufacturer. Just a reseller branding units they been buying from elsewhere. Buy from a manufacturer and you will have another experience. That's it so you don't get upset by more Off T.

Merely pointing out the thread topic.
Gone... 2018 Qashqai Tekna 1.6Dci 4x4 Metallic Red
Replaced With... 2019 Qashqai Tekna 1.7Dci 4x4 Pearlescent Storm White
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I could say similar about Sony Erricson mobile phones in the day...absolute crap and poor support. Surprised me as regards Sony.

With Android over the last couple of years things have been steady. So I won't expect the OS to allow memory run out and crash the thing. Also, general housekeeping/control of Apps and secure/fast recovery when things do go wrong.

The Daisata website (China) seems to be way out of date? Schenzen/Guangdong....AliExpress Dasaita Official Store

https://dasaita.aliexpress.com/store/60 ... _5904672.0

Future of Android Head Units..Daisata

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chosan

Post by chosan »

calnorth wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:18 pm

I could say similar about Sony Erricson mobile phones in the day...absolute crap and poor support. Surprised me as regards Sony.

With Android over the last couple of years things have been steady. So I won't expect the OS to allow memory run out and crash the thing. Also, general housekeeping/control of Apps and secure/fast recovery when things do go wrong.

The Daisata website (China) seems to be way out of date? Schenzen/Guangdong....AliExpress Dasaita Official Store

https://dasaita.aliexpress.com/store/60 ... _5904672.0

Future of Android Head Units..Daisata

Not the future, they been on the market for years. Suffering from the same problem as the other ones.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Its probably me who has jumped/confused the two topics. Head Unit and Octacore threads.

There's not really much to confuse. I'm sort of hoping that Nissan is not on an OS loser. What they seem to offer is an Android look a like....that could hurt.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Ianharbron

Post by Ianharbron »

Cod wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:14 am
Ianharbron wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 pm After months of waiting for a firmware upgrade and frustration with no voice control or CarPlay I’m going to try this route.

I’ve bought a 2019 head unit ready to fit.
How do I get a patch cable from a 2017 sat nav head unit to a new 2019 head unit.
Where do I look, anybody have the diagrams.
What do I need the dealer to do, what recording is required.

This has been done before by some brave and adventurous people. It seems the best way forward.
Hi,

Currently doing the same thing.

It’s different for what model and equipment you have.

I’ve got a near complete harness (just waiting on confirmation of 3 cables) but it’s for a 2018 Tekna (Bose,360,PA)

Once I’ve got it working I can share where everything went.

Read back through this thread and you’ll see the adapters to buy from AliExpress that in incipient posted.

I’d avoid the Android head units at all cost. Having had them in a previous car and in my van, I can say they’re awful.
They may be ok purely for CarPlay but other than that they are slow and glitchy with app crashes. (Maybe not straight away but give it a year)
You’ll also need to rely on the XDA forums for any software updates. (The Manufactures were always pretty useless for me)
That would be great.
I’ve read all the posts and watching with interest. Looking at options for those connectors and how to get a dealer to code the radio to the car.
It all looks much more appealing than the Android units.
New Qashqai owner - 2017 1.5 dci
Ianharbron

Post by Ianharbron »

incipient wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:11 pm I had sat nav with sd. Now I did myself and have new generation nissan connect without sd.
I have all wiring diagrams for almost all nissan.
Hi, would you have the wiring details for the following.
2017 Facelifted qashqai
SD version headunit 259154ET1A
Hardware version 037, firmware F16A
To
2019 non SD headunit 259157FW0A

Also, how did you get a dealer to rekey your stereo/car to enable it?
How much did that cost?
New Qashqai owner - 2017 1.5 dci