SATNAV / EIRCODES

ICE, Equipment, Options
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

Eircodes were introduced in Ireland a few years ago. My 2019 QQ will accept some codes but not others. My car had first service yesterday but the dealers, Kearys Nissan Cork, were adamant that the satnav does not support the codes. Expecting this, I took a sample list with me and demonsrated to the service manager and workshop foreman that they were mistaken.
The workshop manager put out the possibility that my demonstration might be linked to POI destinations, not true as my home Eircode registered.
When I returned to collect the car the service manager said he would query my findings with Nissan, not holding my breath on that.
The foreman advised getting someone with a smart phone to input any Eircodes I might need, still laughing at that solution.
He also said that the satnav is updated remotely via satellite, jury out on that one, as I presume the satnav would need to be powered up at all times, I am comparing this to updates on a Sky box.

The invoice stated "sat nav doesn't work on all Eircodes - updated system software, comes from factory with only a set amount of Eircodes stored , to gain access to all Eircodes a phone needs to be connected via hotspot or usb cable - tested all ok "

Any other QQs in Ireland with this problem ? Feedback / suggestions welcome.

You might also be interested in my other posting re central locking problem, again unsolved by Kearys.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Can I assume that your In Car entertainment (ICE) box is Android and/or Apple CarPlay? It doesn't have a map SD card at the top right corner? It looks like this:

https://www.nissan.co.uk/ownership/niss ... rplay.html

If Android/Apple its a slave to your smartphone and mainly mirrors the Apps on the Smartphone. I have the old SDCard box so am not too familiar.

POI's have little to do with postcodes..they are specific Lat/long Co-ordinates. I think Google Maps/Earth memorises those either manually or directly off a pinned map position. The old ICE box as mine has a specific upload facility for that...dinosaur stuff today.

For area post (EIR) codes that would be a distinct Google issue I think. Anything OTA is via the smartphone not via your Nissan ICE box directly. AFAIK your ICE box doesn't have a phone modem? No SIM card.

Nissan firmware would be a operating system type and USB loaded by the dealer I suspect. Not with post codes (EIR or UK generally) though.

This link is about the EIRcode Google model. Again I am not familiar.

https://www.autoaddress.ie/blog/autoadd ... oogle-maps

Some of this gets confused with Nisaan Ev's and specific software functionality. Carwings..or some such?

Is this it?

O2020-07-24_10222.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

Calnorth, thank you for your detailed reply, lots to absirb there. You are correct, my satnav does not take a sim card. I will study and come back to you with my progress. The fact of it accepting some eircodes and not others is puzzling.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Billgo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:52 am Calnorth, thank you for your detailed reply, lots to absirb there. You are correct, my satnav does not take a sim card. I will study and come back to you with my progress. The fact of it accepting some eircodes and not others is puzzling.
There are others (Android/Carplay Box) owners on this site who likely know more than me. If its any consolation my 2017 dinosaur ICE (connect 3) does not recognise certain UK postcodes. So my journey setup stops Nav-wise till I stick a destination POI in. So if that continues to be an issue for you it maybe possible to insert POI's that make up for the poor EIRCode/Post code listings. Thats what I certainly would do....doubt Nissan will be any help or will be of the limp type... :roll:
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

I tried updating the maps, well UK North/Ireland option, via USB stick, followed all instructions as per handbook, and eventually got this message on the car "Unable to update the map since there is no compatible map version for this vehicle on the USB device"
I tried a second time with another usb stick with the same result. I did format them before hand even though they had never been used previously.

Not wanting to admit defeat, I went down the WiFi route, connected to the car ok, again followed instructions, it started to update the chosen map and then the dreaded message "There was an error with the map update. Would you like to try again ? "

I tried again with the same result. The time shown for the WiFi update went from 22mins to 56mins before failing.

Installed map version is showing as 15041_0_2.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

calnorth - Nissan don't use Google maps - they use HERE. Reference to Android Auto or CarPlay is irrelevant here - he's referring to the inbuilt satnav.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Billgo - isn't the Irish Qashqai installed with European mapping? Can't you simply update using a Europe database?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

Gloucester, you have lost me there. The updates available ,31 I think, list all European countries plus some more. The update option is for country or in some cases as in UK/Ireland is divided into UK South and then UK North/Ireland. When updating in PC with USB stick the bottom of the screen shows "car nav.sys.
1.71Gb free of 18.93Gb. On my old Garmin stand alone satnav I could update without any bother.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I see - I haven't used the Qashqai system I'll admit
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

gloucester wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:12 pm calnorth - Nissan don't use Google maps - they use HERE. Reference to Android Auto or CarPlay is irrelevant here - he's referring to the inbuilt satnav.
@gloucester
I see the attached pic showing Google Maps? So is it that there is an embedded map on the box as well? I know the Connect 3 HERE thing and that has a poor postcode list. Seems to be constructed for City folk...many postcodes absent outside of that.

@Billgo
Can we confirm that the SatNav unit you have is as pic below
Where do you get Map updates from.

NissanConnect-1500x844.jpg

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta