Weird central locking issue

ICE, Equipment, Options
DiscomBob
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DiscomBob »

Just recently bought a 2019 model Qashqai, and having a weird issue with the central locking working intermittently.

Usually, engine off, keys out of the ignition, exit vehicle, close door, press the "lock" button the key fob, and the car doors lock as expected (with flashing exterior lights on car). But, occasionally (and I haven't been able to work out the pattern for this!), after closing the door and pressing "lock" on the key fob... Nothing - doors don't lock, and no activity from the exterior lights.

I've tried re-opening and closing the driver door and pressing the lock button again (in case inadvertently pressed when the door was still open), without success. Putting keys back into the ignition, switching power on (without starting the engine), then off, and then exiting the vehicle and the key lock will suddenly start working again.

Doubt it's the batteries in the fob, as it happens with both fobs, and the problem is only ever on locking the car - never any issue with unlocking so far.

Only other thing I can think of is we'll sometimes press the door button to fold the wing mirrors before exiting the car (I know the car can do this automatically upon locking, but habit from our previous, older-model Qashqai) - is this somehow interfering with the car's locking procedure? Doesn't seem like it should!

Anyone else experienced this and managed to resolve the issue?

Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

Not had your issues but mine sometimes beeps at me and doesn't lock, ie the reminder that keys have been left in the car. The issue is that this isnt so and a simple second press of the button on the fob then sees it lock without any more beeps.

And I also sometimes manually close the mirrors, no impact.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Is this a key blade type key with an ignition barrel or an intelligent key with a start button?

If it's the key blade type key then seen a few where the steering lock doesnt engage therefore not allowing you to lock the car if you find you cant lock the car key the front of the barrel a tap with side of your fist or tap the surround around the barrel and you'll hear the steering lock pin engage. If this is the issue you'll need a new barrel.
lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

Sorry I can see now you have the key with barrel didnt read it fully but yeah sounds like steering lock not engaging and when your putting the keys back in and then pulling them out again its then releasing
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

Lewisbryant is correct here and answered my query some weeks ago. Mine has failed now 8 times in about 6 weeks. I had it in for service and the workshop foreman refused to listen to the solution of replacing ignition barrel. When tested on their computer it showed all as working, as expected, as the fault is intermittent. When you extract the key from the ignition you should hear a loud "thunk", if not the central locking will not operate. Google "Nissan Qashqai central locking problem" and you will see a very informative youtube video explaining this quite clearly.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
DiscomBob

Post by DiscomBob »

Thanks very much for your responses - they make a lot of sense. Bizarrely, we used to have an older (2009) Qashqai that developed the exact opposite problem with it's ignition barrel, with the key getting stuck. I solved that using a set of metal files, but read that if you over-file it then you can cause the steering lock to not engage!

A bit of a bummer to fork decent money for an almost new (<10,000 mi) car and be hit with problems after less than a week... And as Billgo experienced, wary of being fobbed off if (sod's law) the problem doesn't present itself when I take it in next week. Wish me luck!
lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

Confirm the fault your self by video recording it. When it wont lock start recording then open the door show yourself tapping underneath the barrel and the video should pick up the steering lock engaging and then show them that, you'll have a better chance then mate
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

After badgering Nissan Customer Service in Dublin, they have now instructed my local dealer, Kearys Nissan Cork, to fit a new ignition barrel. This is on order and I hope to have it fitted soon.

I will report back on the outcome. I took your advice , Lewisbryant, and did a video of the fault and fixing it by giving the ignition switch a hard tap with the handle of a screwdriver. I have not had to show it to Nissan as I had already sent them the link from uTube of the problem.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
Malc Alex

Post by Malc Alex »

I recently bought a 2018 quashqai and have the same intermittant issues regarding the central locking
Our car has keyless entry & ignition but on several occasions, having stopped the car and attem,pting to lock it via the button on the door , i have been met with a series of beeps
I have checked that all doors are locked and that the keys are not left in the car , also checked that all electrics are "off"
My "get around 2 was to lock the car using the emergency blade key !
Interestingly, in all cases the car has subsequently opened using the button on the door !!

Is there a fix ??
Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

Is there a fix?

My fix is to walk a few metres away and press the key fob button again.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)