Bonnet squeak?

Bodywork & Interior problems
emsee

Post by emsee »

Hi all

I have a Qashqai N-tec 1.2 petrol bought new in January 2016
From almost new there has been a subtle but intermittent annoying squeak from the front when i drive over uneven road surfaces etc. Sometimes not noticeable at times or if radio/Cd on. Driving over smooth surfaces no noise.
Took it back to dealer in May and went with engineer on test drive. No squeak at first (sods law) but eventually squeak noticeable which he heard.
He took it into workshop and fixed it within about 5 minutes. He said he greased the 2 bonnet rubbers and assured me there wasn't any other cause of the squeak and off i went.
All ok for a couple or so weeks or so then squeak returned. I have put LBM10 lithium based grease on the 2 bonnet rubbers now and again which sometimes helps but any suggestions/tips for a more long lasting cure would be appreciated.

many thanks

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Perhaps a little copper grease.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Sounds like they may need adjusting so they contact harder against the bonnet.
emsee wrote:Hi all

I have a Qashqai N-tec 1.2 petrol bought new in January 2016
From almost new there has been a subtle but intermittent annoying squeak from the front when i drive over uneven road surfaces etc. Sometimes not noticeable at times or if radio/Cd on. Driving over smooth surfaces no noise.
Took it back to dealer in May and went with engineer on test drive. No squeak at first (sods law) but eventually squeak noticeable which he heard.
He took it into workshop and fixed it within about 5 minutes. He said he greased the 2 bonnet rubbers and assured me there wasn't any other cause of the squeak and off i went.
All ok for a couple or so weeks or so then squeak returned. I have put LBM10 lithium based grease on the 2 bonnet rubbers now and again which sometimes helps but any suggestions/tips for a more long lasting cure would be appreciated.

many thanks
emsee

Post by emsee »

Hi
Thanks for the replies:

gvmdaddy
I will try different grease but i feel that eventually it will be displaced through normal movement of the bonnet when driving.

Daewar
The 2 bonnet rubbers are located on the bonnet itself unlike on the earlier models where they appear to be located on the body and can be adjusted.

Any comments/suggestions more than welcome!

Many thanks
Deleted User 3871

If you decide to adjust it yourself, im guessing here that they are rotated counter clockwise to make the contact greater. Just remeber the direction & how much u turn it 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn etc. Give it a coule of adjustments & if u have have no luck u can return it to the original position.
emsee wrote:Hi
Thanks for the replies:

gvmdaddy
I will try different grease but i feel that eventually it will be displaced through normal movement of the bonnet when driving.

Daewar
The 2 bonnet rubbers are located on the bonnet itself unlike on the earlier models where they appear to be located on the body and can be adjusted.

Many thanks
Deleted User 3871

If you decide to adjust it yourself, im guessing here that they are rotated counter clockwise to make the contact greater. Just remeber the direction & how much u turn it 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn etc. Give it a coule of adjustments & if u have have no luck u can return it to the original position.
emsee wrote:Hi
Thanks for the replies:

gvmdaddy

Daewar

Many thanks
d0Min_uS
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by d0Min_uS »

You can put some felt pads on the contact area with the two rubber bonnet. With that no more rubber/metal bonnet noise.

Find some circle felt pads like the chair felt pads!
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 dci CVT X-Tronic (J11-2014) color: Black - Z11, engine: R9M 2WD
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Emsee, I think as Daewar has mentioned the best method is to adjust. We had a Bonnet alignment problem when ours was new in 2014 but no squeaking noise and I tried the method of the felt pads but due to the thickness the Bonnet line then sat too high. In the end our Dealer sorted it under Guarantee - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken