ESD.....Electrostatic discharge !!!!!!!
Just took delivery of 4 Led Can-bus turn signal bulbs. They were purchased from Auto bulbs direct in Southampton.
They arrived in a jiffy bag and inside were 4 plastic container tubes containing the loose bulbs and a plastic cap on either end.
There was no anti static packing . The containers had no reference or instruction to say they were anti-static protected so I assume there was none.
The bulbs were free to shake around in their containers. I wasn't happy with this packaging and expected better from a UK supplier !!!!!!
Why the fuss you may think ? Well, being from an aircraft avionic background where damage to electronic components from static electricity is a huge preventative issue, I had a browse around a bulb manufacturers website (osram)
They have devoted a whole chapter to preventing Electrostatic damage to their components. The bulbs I purchased were not belonging to this manufacture i should add, but the logic is the same.
The issue with ESD is that if you catch hold of , say an LED can-bus bulb that has electronic components onboard, and you inadvertently zap it with several thousand volts of body generated static electricity, maybe not even knowing you did, then this damage can not only instantly cause bulb failure but more importantly can cause what they call Latent damage that hides dormant for a period of time and will suddenly cause a premature fail of a component.
Now lets be honest here, Led bulbs are not cheap, unless you buy inferior versions of course. So surely the least we should expect from our suppliers is anti-static preventative packaging and measures that alert us to this possibility.
We as users should be mindful of these issues ourselves and try to ensure we have discharged or grounded our static generated body to earth before we handle these bulbs. This will ensure our expensive LED bulbs will last the many thousands of hours they are designed to do, or you may end up with an argument with the supplier over the damage.
Bad handling or packing practices by the supplier and ourselves can introduce potential early failure to LED bulbs without us even knowing it's been done. Just think of the static zap you get sometimes when you touch a door handle and relate this to zapping an electronic component.
I was once involved in an experiment to measure how much static electricity lives on our everyday surfaces, excuse the
PUN,but you would be in for a "shock" about how many thousands of volts can be stored on you nylon jumper.
My advice, be cautious with these devices and ask your supplier what precautions they have taken including literature to alert you on the unit and packaging.
Bodywork & Interior problems