Folding drivers side mirror

Bodywork & Interior problems
benhaigh1994
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by benhaigh1994 »

So, today on my family visit out, whilst I was letting a motorbike come through the opposite way to me, a car infront pulled out infront of the biker and made him slow down. For some odd and angering reason, when he came past me and I put my hand up thinking he was going to thank me, he decided to punch my drivers side mirror, taking off the casing and smashing the glass as it hit my window! 😡
After I tried to miserably chase him down, point the blame at some random bikers who I thought had the culprit apart of their group, I went home.
I fixed the casing back on and now have some new glass on order. However, the folding mirror doesn’t stop shut where it should and infact, goes all the way in and hits the drivers side window.

The question is, what could it be?

Hope you like my story! And that you can… help?

Ben

malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

benhaigh1994 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm So, today on my family visit out, whilst I was letting a motorbike come through the opposite way to me, a car infront pulled out infront of the biker and made him slow down. For some odd and angering reason, when he came past me and I put my hand up thinking he was going to thank me, he decided to punch my drivers side mirror, taking off the casing and smashing the glass as it hit my window! 😡
After I tried to miserably chase him down, point the blame at some random bikers who I thought had the culprit apart of their group, I went home.
I fixed the casing back on and now have some new glass on order. However, the folding mirror doesn’t stop shut where it should and infact, goes all the way in and hits the drivers side window.

The question is, what could it be?

Hope you like my story! And that you can… help?

Ben

Hi Ben,

After my drivers side mirror got hit by a Transit van it folded in and out fine but like yours it hit the side window, but it also smashed the casing. I had to have a new casing and mirror assembly....£612 fitted.

Regards, Chris.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
benhaigh1994

Post by benhaigh1994 »

Thanks for the response!

£612?! I think I’ll put up with the tiny tap it does on my window then. Luckily the casing wasn’t cracked, only the mirror. Eh well, could have been worse if I’d have had my window down!

Thanks!
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Not sure on our Qashqai mirrors, but had a similar problem on my old B Class Merc and it was the mirror had clicked out of the park position, like the old mirrors used to do. Having looked on my QQ, it may not be that, but before spending £600 worth a look.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

Maybe the impact has made the folding mirror drive gear jump a tooth and so is now out of sync.
Perhaps you can remove the whole mirror and compare with the other side and reset it's position.
Never stripped one down but if the drive cogs are plastic they will not like being shocked out of position.
mrugby