New Technology

Bodywork & Interior problems
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Not sure how many follow 3D printing but even if you don't the thought of being able to print your own car in the garage might seem a bit far-fetched, it is! But, here is the start of the process I guess, watch this space.http://youtu.be/daioWlkH7ZI and this one http://youtu.be/aMQJkkchTi4
PeterL2014-10-10 07:37:51
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Interesting concept and I don't find the idea that far fetched, NASA and the air force area already using 3D printers to make replacement parts for air craft and space craft and you are not just limited to plastic as there are metal 3D printers, they are just rare and rather expensive! In this case, the concept maybe just a gimmick, a showcase to show off what a company could do to get them on the map as it were. The process is slow and the result, although from a far looks ok, close up it looks awful and needs a lot of work. I dare say it would never pass any sort of NCAP tests!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Normal

false
false
false

DE
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Peter, an excellent find a
man after my own heart. I read this up last week here in the US and was
preparing some info' last night so here is what I found.
Incidently before I retired a German Co. we used for Plastic Mold Tools was
using this Technique for manufacturing Graphite Electrodes used to Spark Erode
critical shapes into Hardened Steel to produce Plastic Products. It was amazing
to see this Mc. virtually layering Graphite Powder and producing in the end a
3D form.

This is Jay Rogers' vision.
Rogers is the CEO of Local Motors, the company that just built the world's
first 3D printed car known as the Strati. The electric, pint-sized two-seater
was officially unveiled and gained mass publicity at the International
Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS) in Chicago, Illinois. Big news for Strati
(which means layers in Italian) as it was featured also on the Today Show on
NBC. It was created through additive manufacturing at the IMTS show
in Chicago back in September, the world's first 3D-printed car has been
featured on an incredible amount of media outlets. Local Motors launched a
project 18 months ago that sought to simplify the car design and manufacturing
process through Direct Digital Manufacturing. Printing the car took roughly 44
hours, and milling it to perfection took another full day. Local Motors then
built the Strati over the course of four days at the IMTS. Printed in carbon
fiber reinforced thermoplastic or ABS, the finished Strati can drive at speeds
up to 40 mph and can travel 120 miles on a single charge. It's fine for a
neighborhood jaunt, but is not yet allowed on highways. Rogers said there are
plans to test the car extensively before selling it to customers or putting it
on the freeway.

Normal
false

false
false
false

DE
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Here is an
explanation of 3D Printing :

http://3dprinting.com/what-is-3d-printing/

Video of
Koenigsegg Cars and what technology is being used :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6cs7op ... e=youtu.be

Hopefully this is not
repeating any of Peter's information, but this technology is growing at such a
fast pace and Mercedes / AMG are looking into this technology plus the medical
field for body replacement parts believe it or not. Again a great find Peter - Dave

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here are some more updates on Local Motors from the Detroit Show - Dave :

http://blog.caranddriver.com/made-in-de ... auto-show/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sorry if I keep on on this subject but I just find it amazing how this Technology has caught on. Saw this Chinese House on TV last night and thought I would follow it up. If it is not interesting say so and I will stop progressing this - Dave http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e=youtu.be
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Seems ok for a more rough and ready small build but I'd be interested how it would scale up to really large buildings.It's innovative but a bit "welcome to the 60's" in terms of design.
Nissan no more...
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well it looks like Local Motors have now got big plans for this 3D Printed Car - Dave :

Local Motors has made a€‹a€‹headlines recently when it pulled out of the 1st 3D Printed Car called the Strati. The Co. is now looking to expand and the first overseas "Micro Factory" location of this innovative car manufacturer in recent years is now to be built in Kreuzberg, Berlin. The cars would then be manufactured in a so called "Micro Factory", where each vehicle is individually screwed together with the customers - most of the parts will come from the 3D printer. The city of Berlin is ideal due to its creativity and enthusiasm for new technologies that has driven many other startups to Berlin, there are also a large number of customers and no other car makers to compete with. A Micro Factory in Berlin would be of great benefit also because this would create 120 new jobs.
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... rev=search
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I suspect that of all the threads on here this is the one that will be of most interest in ten - twenty years time. It will be us 'rich' countries that get the technology off the ground but after that - I can see even small isolated islands having the ability to make houses and basic transport. Nanotechnology is another science getting ever closer to be 'useful' in this respect. Perhaps no more poverty - nothing for anyone to complain about - or do good even!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

and from BMW, X Ray Specs to assist parking!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... t-car.html
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

It looks like this process is beginning to get widely used now as here is the next car to appear now from China. A company called Sanya Sihai in China has just accomplished the 3D printing of yet another car. This car's body weighs an impressive 500kg (1102 pounds) and is completely electric powered. The manufacturers say that it took about a month and a half to build, with the 3D printing process took about 5 full days. Unlike the Strati car though, the interior of this one is not 3D printed, nor does this vehicle compete with Local Motors when it comes to aesthetics.

Printed in a "Tyrant Gold" filament, the car used an astounding 500kg of filament in the 3D printing process. The car cost around $1770 to build and the 3D printed body itself costs around $805 to fabricate. This car can seat two and travel at speeds of up to 40km/h (25 MPH). It measures 3.6-meters long (11.9ft) and 1.63-meters (5.5ft) wide. This is no match for the Strati though as it goes faster and only took 44 hours to 3D print compared to 5 days.

It is not particularly an Eye Catcher but I suppose it will take time to generate more attractive concepts - Dave