Chrome

Bodywork & Interior problems
Dustybin

Post by Dustybin »

Picking up my new Tekna on Saturday and I am after a bit of advice. I want to have some chrome put on (door sills, front grill and tailgate) though Nissan want just shy of £600 for it. I have seen a lot of owners have put their own chrome on can I ask what there experience was of putting it on? And have you any recommendations of where to get it from? I think I might be able to persuade the wife if I do it myself! Thank you in advance.

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

It is easy enough if you take your time. First, ensure the vehicle is clean, rub over the area with alcohol cloths supplied or some ethanol. Use the primer which comes with genuine Nissan parts, allow to dry, use the templates to mark out where the chrome will go.Then remove the 3M backing and fix, press your hands over the parts, you only get one real chance as the primer interacts with the 3M tape and you get an instant adhere of the parts, so be careful.I would make sure the bodywork is warm enough, either waiting for a sunny day, heating the area with a hair drier or waiting until the climate temperature improves.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Pretty much what Jon says.Preparation is key.The fixing itself was not that difficult either but i found having a second person / pair of eyes helped to make sure it all went well.
Nissan no more...
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

plenty of dealers on E bay/ Amazon at good savings.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Toxteth O'Grady

Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Just bear in mind that if you add these after market extras, you'll need to notify your insurers - even if they're official Nissan parts that you're adding.

I wanted the crossover pack for my Tekna which I picked up last month. Dealer wanted £400 (i think) for it - but I could get one via eBay for £250. Fortunately I spoke to my insurer before I made my purchase, who told me that optional extras fitted at the time of original purchase were fine but anything added afterwards had to be separately rated.

You may think ignorance is bliss and choose to say nothing. Problem comes if you ever have to make a claim or are involved in an accident. Then you risk finding yourself uninsured, with the possibility of the criminal side of things to add insult to injury.

Sorry for being the harbinger of doom but it's really important that people know how motor insurance works
White 1.6 dCi 2WD Tekna via drivethedeal.com.
Still wishing they'd call it the Nissan Rogue.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Toxteth, is that really the way it is in the UK now I could understand the old point of "Tuning Items" ?. When we ordered our QQ I listed all of the "Chrome" optional parts and others and had them ordered and installed by Nissan most probably 90% of them anyway. The rest I installed myself, but the Point is taken we were not asked by our Insurer here but I think I will ask out of interest the next Time I visit our Dealer - Dave ?Y?Y
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Just spoke to my insurers, they said the only items you need to notify are modifications to engine performance, brakes, steering, tyres or suspension, in other words anything that modifies the handling characteristics of your car or stops original parts working as the manufacturers specification.There are no issues what so ever with original manufacturers parts being added even if fitted by yourself although they may not be paid for if a replacement vehicle or repair is carried out after an accident. Unless you have prorof of purchaseWhen a lady ran into the back of one of my previous company cars, fitted with spoiler, chrome and other parts, when the repair was done all the parts I had fitted were replaced without question or cost to me when it was repaired.I would imagine if your insurer has told you this, perhaps you should look for an alternative provider.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Dustybin

Post by Dustybin »

Thank you for the advice, it is really helpful. I have spoken to the insurer and as above have said there are no issues with chrome being put on though it advisable to let them know about it.
Toxteth O'Grady

The question I was asked when i switched my policy to the Qashqai was along the lines of "have there been any modifications made to the manufacturer's original spec?" It's also a similar question that you get asked when you seek a quote online.

If in any doubt you should do exactly what Jon did and speak to your insurer. As Jon's experience shows, if what you've put on makes no difference to them, they'll say as much but if it does make a difference, at least you won't risk invalidating your policy
Toxteth O'Grady

It's not just performance related alterations that prick up the ears of insurers - style additions can make a difference to them too as they can make the car more attractive to thieves