Qashqai +2 roof bars?

Bodywork & Interior problems
BMcG

Post by BMcG »

Hi,

We have just bought a 2011 Qashqai +2 last week and I am looking to have roof bars fitted to allow me to put a box on the roof when going weekends away/camping etc.

Just looking for any advice on where I can source the roof bars and about installation of them.

I'm in the Glasgow area if anyone knows of anywhere nearby that could do this.

Any help appreciated.

Brian

mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

Hi Brian. Do you mean bars or rails? Sorry if that sounds like a pedantic or stupid question, and maybe I've got things wrong, but to me, when anyone says bars, I think of the bars that are positioned across the roof from side to side and which attach to the rails which run along the length of the roof. If it's just the bars and a roof box you are looking for then they should be pretty easy to find on-line and fit yourself. But do you actually mean the rails?
BMcG

Post by BMcG »

Hi Mikey,

Its rails im on about(run from front to back of the roof)

Dont seem to be having any luck sourcing them?Y‘Z

My friends a partsman in a local car dealership and he couldnt find a part number for them and thinks that unless you ordered the car with them then you cant fit them aftermarket!

Can find loads on e-bay but for cosmetic use only and not load bearing.

Bit gutted as could really be doing with the extra space of roofbox for family days out/weekends away!

Do you know of any that can be bought and fitted?

Thanks
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

Hi,

I'm in the same boat mate.

We bought the car and I asked about the roof rails and the salesman spouted bs about getting them at halfords. Turned out to be untrue. I have spoken to nissan about it a while back and they said that it should be doable and then when I tried to arrange it at my local nissan dealer they said it couldn't be done. Does your car have two rubber or plastic strips running down each side of the roof? Mine does and I had assumed that under the strip would be the fixings and you could just screw them in but the dealer said no. I have seen various things on ebay including the cosmetic ones you mention. Not got any answers for you at the mo I'm afraid but now that the car is out of warranty it is possible to think outside the box a little bit, so I'm gonna keep trying and I'll let you know if I have any success.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

You could try this, but it's a diy job; you have to drill a load of holes. Not sure I'd want to do that. http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/nissan-qashq ... wwodSGIAhw Or there's a few like this on ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-N ... 1467706896 After exhausting every option, think I'm gonna go for this instead:- http://www.bak-rak.com/box-rak.htm Not ideal as I really wanted to put a snowboard on the roof, but if I put the middle seat down I can probably slot the snowboard down the middle and then the box adds a load of extra storage space for luggage which will come in handy when going on hols. We plan on driving down to the alps next winter so this could be a good solution. Next time I'll make sure I don't buy a car that doesn't have rails!
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci Tekna Ink Blue, Born 31/1/15 Bonnet hood, sill guards but I want more
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

[quote="Dieselwheasel"]
Would this not work?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm8iJGQ ... r_embedded[/QUOTE]
Yes, that would work, and is the same sort of thing as the second link I posted in my previous e-mail. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna look into that. I think what myself and the OP were really looking for though, was to have the rails fitted, but this just doesn't seem possible now. Maybe it was at one point, but with the +2 being discontinued now, doesn't seem to be an option, so something like the Thule rapid system is really the only option for a roof rack unless you want to start drilling holes etc. However, I'm still leaning toward that towbar mounted box. I should be able to slot my snowboard down the middle of the car with the middle seat folded down, so don't necessarily need to have it on the roof, and with the box sitting directly behind the car, maybe better from an aerodynamic perspective?
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Hope you do buy the bak-box if only because of their relationship with ShelterBox http://www.shelterbox.org
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

When i bought my previous QQ Acenta new in 2010, and I wanted to order some 'bling' with it I was told by dealer that if I wanted rails the ony option was to have them factory fitted as that was the only bling that could not be fitted at the dealership
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

Yeah, that echoes what the dealership told me, although I find it hard to believe that the required fixing points are not just sitting under the rubber strip and it should be a pretty simple thing to do - provided you can get hold of the rails. Nissan customer services said it should be doable, and I did even initially get a quote from my local Nissan dealership to fit the rails last year, but then they backtracked and said it couldn't be done. I don't need it that often, only once in a while, and thinking about it a bit more I think I am now gonna go for something like the Thule rapid fit. The bakbox looks quite good, but I'd have to fit a tow bar and then there's the issue with the lights potentially being obscured. Probably less obtrusive to have everything up on the roof.