Mud from road comming inside

Bodywork & Interior problems
Splink

Post by Splink »

No, not from my boots, but kicked up from the front wheels and entering through a gap in the underbody construction. The pictiures show the gap from below, and where the mud collects inside. Does anyone else find this? For me it is the same on both sides. There seems to be a fixing hole which could hold some kind of shield. Does anyone have something in place to keep the mud out or other solution?
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

This is fairly common issue and not isolated to the QQ. Mud and dirt generally falls through the scuttle panel and drains down through this void. In addition, leafs and general grime collects and clogs up the wing drain point which can cause other issues such as rot, or water flowing into places it should not. I make it a point every now and then blasting a hose pipe down there to ensure it remains clear.
SplanK2015-02-09 19:49:34
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Splink, I agree with you. For me this is one of the most disappointing design aspects of the QQ. I've never owned a vehicle with as many dirt traps. Today I washed the road salt off the car and was amazed to see how much crap had found its way into the gaps at the lower edges of all 4 doors. This from about 40 miles of driving over 3 days along mainly main roads. Can't imagine what state it would be in if I'd driven down country lanes. Admittedly winter roads aren't the cleanest but at this rate I hope the paintwork/rustproofing is up to it. It puts me off holding onto the car for many years.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Qash

Post by Qash »

Do not expect good protection against rust, here is what the car magazine in Sweden is written on the QQ."The whole body, even the tank cap is of sheet metal. No interior treatment in the hood or trunk lid, whose joints however is well glued except for a pair of "gaps". Good mudguards front and rear (standard in Sweden). Felt Wheelhouse rear, under which the total absence of treatment. Large dirt collecting shelf in the rear valances. The doors have some internal processing, but the thresholds or the longitudinal and transverse beams is no treatment at all, just bare metal (see picture). The windscreen uprights bottom is a thick, moisture-collecting "isolation mattress". Plastic Wheelhouse forward. We discovered incipient rust inside the front suspension frame - on a new car!"

Qash2015-02-09 07:17:21
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
Splink

Post by Splink »

[quote="Beardyman"] ... see how much crap had found its way into the gaps at the lower edges of all 4 doors. [/QUOTE] In my picture of the inside you can see that mud has been thrown up through the gap to places above the rubber seals. Gravity then causes the mud to fall down onto the seal. Once mud is trapped between the seal and the body, the seal becomes ineffective. I'm still hoping another member might know of a remedy.Splink2015-02-09 09:06:15
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

With a 12-year corrosion guarantee. they can expect some problems.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="Splink"] [quote="Beardyman"] ... see how much crap had found its way into the gaps at the lower edges of all 4 doors. [/QUOTE] In my picture of the inside you can see that mud has been thrown up through the gap to places above the rubber seals. Gravity then causes the mud to fall down onto the seal. Once mud is trapped between the seal and the body, the seal becomes ineffective. I'm still hoping another member might know of a remedy.[/QUOTE]
Bare metal? Had they been on the meths when they wrote that? The whole bodyshell is totally immersed in paint and it is electrostatically charged while doing so to ensure that paint gets to even the remotest corners of all box sections. What you see there is the primer, which is the rust protection. The colour coat, as with most cars from the last 25 years, is topically applied by spray guns with colour for decoration. It is not the primary corrosion protection.Since Qashqai has been made for a number of years now, how many rusty ones have you seen? None? It is very rare indeed to find rust on the body of any cars these days, although the Indian made Dacia Duster has had a problem and previous model British build Honda Civic had a minor issue with paint protection of the roof panel.
Qash

Post by Qash »

[quote="Quacker"][quote="Splink"] [quote="Beardyman"] ... see how much crap had found its way into the gaps at the lower edges of all 4 doors. [/QUOTE] In my picture of the inside you can see that mud has been thrown up through the gap to places above the rubber seals. Gravity then causes the mud to fall down onto the seal. Once mud is trapped between the seal and the body, the seal becomes ineffective. I'm still hoping another member might know of a remedy.[/QUOTE]
Bare metal? Had they been on the meths when they wrote that? The whole bodyshell is totally immersed in paint and it is electrostatically charged while doing so to ensure that paint gets to even the remotest corners of all box sections. What you see there is the primer, which is the rust protection. The colour coat, as with most cars from the last 25 years, is topically applied by spray guns with colour for decoration. It is not the primary corrosion protection.Since Qashqai has been made for a number of years now, how many rusty ones have you seen? None? It is very rare indeed to find rust on the body of any cars these days, although the Indian made Dacia Duster has had a problem and previous model British build Honda Civic had a minor issue with paint protection of the roof panel.[/QUOTE]
Dacia Duster is not manufactured in India but in Romania.Those who wrote the article about rust in the QQ are experts in their field who have assessed all cars sold in Europe and know what they're doing. And because the magazine is not from Britain they dare to write negative things about the QQ. If you do not see rust on the car does not mean that rust does not exist, just that it is not visible.Anyway, I do not mean that Nissan is worse than another, but many companies that sell their cars in Scandinavia have chosen to make additional protection when importing and Nissan did not even want to talk about it.
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="Quacker"][quote="Splink"] [quote="Beardyman"] ... see how much crap had found its way into the gaps at the lower edges of all 4 doors. [/QUOTE] In my picture of the inside you can see that mud has been thrown up through the gap to places above the rubber seals. Gravity then causes the mud to fall down onto the seal. Once mud is trapped between the seal and the body, the seal becomes ineffective. I'm still hoping another member might know of a remedy.[/QUOTE]
Bare metal? Had they been on the meths when they wrote that? The whole bodyshell is totally immersed in paint and it is electrostatically charged while doing so to ensure that paint gets to even the remotest corners of all box sections. What you see there is the primer, which is the rust protection. The colour coat, as with most cars from the last 25 years, is topically applied by spray guns with colour for decoration. It is not the primary corrosion protection.Since Qashqai has been made for a number of years now, how many rusty ones have you seen? None? It is very rare indeed to find rust on the body of any cars these days, although the Indian made Dacia Duster has had a problem and previous model British build Honda Civic had a minor issue with paint protection of the roof panel.[/QUOTE]
Quacker,my old 2007 Qashqai was badly corroded from the bottom. Before I sold it I went to Nissan dealership for final inspection to check that everything is fully functional which I wanted to handle then to a buyer. Nissan technician said that he saw QQ's under body corroded, but mine was more than usual. Also front and rear axle. Before I sold it I lifted up and applied anti-corrosion paint on it. If you lift up new QQ, you can find many spots where corrosion is already built up. If you have 1.6 dCi model, it's enough just to open bonnet and check a metal engine holder. Mine was rusty before I even signed papers in day one. Small example on QQ J11 rust:
duncho2015-03-10 14:34:00
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Look for the proces :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slrvXRLwH04 or start at 4.10 min for the proces.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna