12 volt socket ?

Bodywork & Interior problems
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

The socket is fused with 15A so it's a pretty robust circuit and most 12v coolboxes only draw about 5A. I used the armrest socket for
a coolbox for a couple of months, then wired up a socket in the boot, extending from the back of the armrest electrics. Nothing has
burst into flames yet! :shock:

004a.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic

MrRed

Post by MrRed »

Thank you for the information Hound.
1.5 Dci Acenta Premium, Magnetic Red, Towbar and 7 Pin Electrics, Spare Wheel, ALA Gap Insurance, Poor out of date expensive £109 Maps from Nissan
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

duncho wrote:2 sockets in front, one live on ignition, the other is always live. No boot socket, however there is wiring ready with constant 12V power (for towbar electrics purposes) so it is easy to install 3rd one in the boot.
Hi duncho,
Do you have any more details of this 12v power source in the boot.
Exact location and wire colours would be great (any pictures?).
I miss not having a 12v socket in the boot and need to fit one before the camping season.

Thanks Jerry.

Note to Nissan - I consider this penny pinching to the extreme.
2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

hi i wired a cic lighter socket ether side of my boot hope this helps:- first i prized my back armrest cover off . i recommend using a plastic miniture crowbar . it loosens from the bottom first each side and lifts a bit (5mm) at the top to remove it. after a couple of times it becomes easier and the heartrate dicreases! the wireing for the centre console cig lighter 12v socket is then visible. i recomend soldering teed off leads and insulating the joints individually terminating about 10" in a strp connector with care that way the battery doesnt need disconnecting, anyway the wireing is fused. . the wireing on mine has no free excess length to play with so i reccomend staggering the soldered joints. that way they will not be able to short out through the insulting tape.-- to rout them to the boot i removed the rear lh door tread and lifted the carpet shoveing a short stick to reach under the carpet at the rear console and then tapped some unconnected new wires to the short stick to pull them through. the short stick is to not disturb the carpet in the centre and also my arm isnt long enough to reach. then the wires can be tucked and threaded over the wheel arch to the boot. the carpet realighnes and settles i reccomend felt tape (tessa) to sop rattles with the wires and then crimp the terminals in the boot connection. hope this gives you some encouragement. Brian
brian
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

That was my original thought (to do as you have described) - I have already had that panel off and looked.
However, someone has said that the console box socket is not always powered - I guess I need to check this myself.

I want permanent power for my cool box and I will use a battery guard circuit in-line with my new socket to protect the car battery.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Jerry1, remember that doing it your way will result in a flat battery in no time at all. Afterall its just a car battery, designed to start a car then be constantly recharged as you drive. If you're camping and using a fridge/cooler box overnight then you really need to be using an auxilliary camping type battery. They have a much higher capacity.
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

ah jvmdaddy is right the battery probably will be flattened overnight. i use my boot sockets for a tyre inflater. but when t fitted the sockets i took a lead from the boot light to a switch and put two rear hatch door lights and another boot light on the opposite side i have replaced all the 6 internal lamps with led warm white to help my stop start. strange with a tekna all the internal lamps are the old facioned high consumption bulbs. also my license plate lamps are led 8+8+5+5+5+5+5+5+3 =49watt now aprox 7watt regards brian
brian
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

The console 12v supply is not permanently powered. It's active as long as the ignition is on or a door is open, although I suspect that's also on a timer. If you found a permanent 12v supply associated with the towbar, and used your battery guard circuit, you'd have a more permanent solution with battery protection. I'm afraid I don't know where the towbar electrics are, but I will check.

However, I think gvmdaddy's suggestion of a leisure battery is sensible, as the QQ's battery is designed to be only just big enough to start the car, and not really meant for prolonged accessory power.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

I share your concerns everyone but the battery in the Qashqai is far bigger than in my previous car (and will be protected).
I'm not looking at using 12 volts for extended amounts of time just an hour or so whilst parked up for lunch or a cup of tea.
A coolbox in a boot can quickly become very hot in the summer and I always need a cold beer on arrival at a camp site. :D
Plug74

Post by Plug74 »

What color is the live on the power socket please