Dash rattle

Bodywork & Interior problems

Post by alter »

That sounds really annoying. After just 500km I got the same rattle. It was more noticeable in colder days, maybe due to some contraction of the plastics. After a couple of trips, I called our dealer here in Norway and left the car for repair. Got sorted out under guarantee, not only the dash rattle, which needed to be tightened on the right side, but also got extra foaming under the dash, since air conditioning ducts could also be the reason. 3 years now and not a single rattle since then.
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 4x4 gunmetal

Allan J
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Allan J »

Hi, some years sine the last post on this thread.... But.....my 2015 Qashqai 1.5 Tekna (I've had from new , now 6 years) recently developed 2 annoying rattles:

The first when travelling on anything but supper smooth road surface I traced to the passenger side air vent. If pressure was applied to the top of the vent the rattle disappears!! I read previous posts and took the advice given - took the dash end cap off, tightened the screw holding the vent, packed some foam around it and also used rigid foam and tape to strengthen the front part of the flimsy plastic frame which holds the end cap - result is a 90% reduction in noise to a point were it is no longer annoying.

The second sounded like a metallic rattle / vibration coming from the passenger side of the engine bay / dash when the engine was at idle and disappeared when revs increased. I traced this to the plastic air filter housing. The plastic retaining clip fails to hold the 2 parts of the assembly together with enough force - A piece of foam wedged in between the top joint has completely solved this issue.

I still rate this vehicle and is the best car I have owned.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Although I love the QQ I too have found the squeaks and rattles rather annoying.
We bought a used QQ at around 2.5 years old, our previous QQ for over 14 years old only had one rattle, the parcel shelf.
I unfortunately the newer car rattled and creaked like an old 1970's BL car.
I decided to have a look to see if I could possibly remedy the rattles.
As most of you know, and newer members/owners will know, the J11 has numerous parts that just clip together.
After many hours reading numerous threads both on this forum and on various other others I decided to take the plunge. I waited for a couple of warm and dry days, being North of Hadrians wall this was a wise decision.
I pre bought a set of relatively cheap trim removal tools and a few yards of self adhesive felt anti rattle material.
So far I have done all four door trim, the black piano black plastic, the piano black trim facing the passenger on the dash, replaced all the white Nissan door card clips with one's that have a cushioned insert to stop rattles, I've removed and taken apart all the dash air vents and applied the felt both on their clips and where plastic meets plastic, removed the padded section above the glove box and done the same, the securing tabs on both the radio and climate control unit have also had the felt applied, all of the centre console, from the armrest through to the plastic piece that holds the electronic park brake has been treated to the felt too, also all the clips that hold the padded leather knee/leg protectors. I have also done many, many more, way too many to list. I must admit that to most this would appear to be over kill but now our QQ is completely rattle and squeak free, both in winter and summer.
As good as the Qashqai is, the build quality/fit and finish does leave a little to be desired.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)