DAB ARIEL/ garage

Bodywork & Interior problems
Deleted User 4918

Post by Deleted User 4918 »

Hi,
Has anyone managed to get a shorter dab ariel than the factory fitted one which is successful in not losing DAB signal etc. Qashqai tekna J11 2016 plate.
also enabling to get car in and out of standard uk garage without catching door etc?
If so any help on it would be appreciated, the ones off ebay etc will fit but AM/FM only.
Wondering if anyone has had success with after market ones.
cheers,
glinchy

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Try checking out older posts using tge search button at tge top of the forum. There has been quite a bit discussed on this already.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Glinchy, as gvmdaddy has mentioned this subject has been discussed in depth on a couple of posts in fact the last was very recent just write "Shark Fin" or similiar in "Search". There was a lot of tests done with Duncho using a different Antenna and Technical Inards, also our Dealer in Germany knocked one up modified within the Headlining, electrics etc this also was not a great successful. Our one still receives DAB in and around the City, we are though not great DAB users and in the end went for the looks, naturally the garage or Autowash is no longer a problem - Dave ;)
PS. Nissan have the NONE DAB compatible Shark Fin Antenna available in Colors for Juke / QQ / X-Trail.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

The dab Ariel must be good for 220-226 MHZ, roughly twice the frequency and about half the wavelength of FM VHF radio, make sure any Ariel you get is good for 220-226 MHZ.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

This is the only Ariel that you can get in the UK, as far as I'm aware.

Ariel1.png

(Unless you want a Disney Little Mermaid action figure, of course.)

What you need is an aerial!

I found this one, but have no idea how effective it is:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/SharkFin_D ... erial.html

(Really, it's an antenna.)
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

[quote="Hound"]This is the only Ariel that you can get in the UK, as far as I'm aware.
Ariel1.png
(Unless you want a Disney Little Mermaid action figure, of course.)

What you need is an aerial!

I found this one, but have no idea how effective it is:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/SharkFin_D ... erial.html

Never mind the performance just look at the nice CLEAN lines :lol:
Deleted User 4918

Post by Deleted User 4918 »

Thanks for the grammar Hound lol,
Anyway I took the gamble I unscrewd the antenna slotted off around 40mm off the top and put on a antenna cap and it works perfectly not signal drop whatsoever.
The antenna cap took a lot of getting on as the hole is only 2mm but i left it in a cup of boiling water for a minute or so, made it just flexible enough to get over the cut end, however it is a really tight weatherproof fit.

Used similar to these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yama-Buggy-Sp ... -6-Pieces-

There is now a 5 mm gap between my antenna and my garage lintel and before anybody says anything, yes my tyres are slightly over inflated so 5mm is good enough.
It was a gamble but the wrapped internal wire doesn't go all the way to the top on the antenna so I snipped it off above this wire been on a drive and all DAB stations are working just as strong as before.

Thanks to all above for comments and help.
(Including the reccomendation for laundry detergent : ) )
Thanks again
Glinchy
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

There is a relationship between the frequency to be received and the physical length of the Ariel.