Rattling Vents

Bodywork & Interior problems
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Thanks for your post. I wondered about the dash side cap but decided not to attach anything because I understood it to be the side airbag.Would be grateful if you could explain in more detail what you did. Does the end cap come off? Did you apply foam inside? Most of all - did it solve the problem?Thanks
Ben

Digi-T 1.2 Acenta Premium Jan 2014

Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Hi AlleyCatThanks for your post.I have noted that the dash end cap is a likely candidate for the rattle that I have.Did your actions solve the problem?Did you remove the end cap or place the foam between it and the door?Does this affect the airbag operation?Will appreciate your input.Thanks
Ben

Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Hi muscc008,Please note that my first post about the dash end cap should have been addressed to you.Would welcome a reply.I want avoid get involved with the dealers if possible, although I have notified them of the problem and asked them to get input from Nissan.Thanks
Ben

muscc088

Post by muscc088 »

The end cap comes off pretty easily, I just opened the passenger door, opened the glove compartment and then detached it by a gentle pull from the bottom side to release the clips around it. When you open the cap you will notice that there is a free hanging piece of plastic (into which the end cap slides) that is most probably causing the rattle. At first I was thinking that the rattle was coming from the vent itself nonetheless I then realised that when I was pushing the vent I was indirectly also pushing the plastic part that was holding the end cap in place, and hence I deduced that most probably the rattle was not coming from the vent itself. I hence taped some foam around the free hanging plastic part to make it more sturdy and also added some foam on the inside of the end cap and clipped everything back. This has managed to silence the rattle almost completely, the only time that I heard a little noise from this in the last two weeks was when I got over a sleeping policemen with excessive speed, but there again it just made one small 'cushioned' noise and thats was it.Having said that I am having my car going in to the dealer next monday as the cross over pack has finally arrived. Will tell them about this issue for sure to check if they have managed to get a good fix for it, if not I would prefer to leave it as it is since this has solved the problem so far. Other than that I have a couple of other rattles which I definitely need them to look into:one coming from the tailgate (seems like the tailgate is not properly set, the rattle only stops when the black stoppers are fully extended which then in turn misaligns the tailgate from the outside)another one coming from the panoramic roof, this is heard mostly when i reverse... but not only.... the panoramic roof vibrates from the back end and when I hold it with just one finger it stops. I am not sure if this can be tightened or how it can be fixed.engine noise when the car is idle: this was an easy one to spot as I opened the bonnet and noticed that the air intake and the air filter box was vibrating abnormally... it might just need to be tightened back in place.Anyone having any of the above listed problems so far?
2014 QQ 1.5 dci Tekna in Storm White + crossover pack + front lip chrome finisher
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

[quote="muscc088"]The end cap comes off pretty easily, I just opened the passenger door, opened the glove compartment and then detached it by a gentle pull from the bottom side to release the clips around it. When you open the cap you will notice that there is a free hanging piece of plastic (into which the end cap slides) that is most probably causing the rattle. At first I was thinking that the rattle was coming from the vent itself nonetheless I then realised that when I was pushing the vent I was indirectly also pushing the plastic part that was holding the end cap in place, and hence I deduced that most probably the rattle was not coming from the vent itself. I hence taped some foam around the free hanging plastic part to make it more sturdy and also added some foam on the inside of the end cap and clipped everything back. This has managed to silence the rattle almost completely, the only time that I heard a little noise from this in the last two weeks was when I got over a sleeping policemen with excessive speed, but there again it just made one small 'cushioned' noise and thats was it.Having said that I am having my car going in to the dealer next monday as the cross over pack has finally arrived. Will tell them about this issue for sure to check if they have managed to get a good fix for it, if not I would prefer to leave it as it is since this has solved the problem so far. Other than that I have a couple of other rattles which I definitely need them to look into:one coming from the tailgate (seems like the tailgate is not properly set, the rattle only stops when the black stoppers are fully extended which then in turn misaligns the tailgate from the outside)another one coming from the panoramic roof, this is heard mostly when i reverse... but not only.... the panoramic roof vibrates from the back end and when I hold it with just one finger it stops. I am not sure if this can be tightened or how it can be fixed.engine noise when the car is idle: this was an easy one to spot as I opened the bonnet and noticed that the air intake and the air filter box was vibrating abnormally... it might just need to be tightened back in place.Anyone having any of the above listed problems so far?[/QUOTE]Ive had a small rattle in same area not noticed unless the radio off and your post should be stickied as I think you found my rattle for surei cant see anywhere else in there that could make the noise ive squeezed n pushed and rattle is no longer evident in mine
duncho

Post by duncho »

I have rattle on vents, here is short video: http://youtu.be/XVbgY5pkHxs
With the air intake I have issue as well, I asked dealer they did not find anything. I checked precisely by myself today and there is a slight gap on air filter cap to which air intake resonator is fixed. That makes a weird noise at about 1400-1500rpm.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Just to put my "main" rattles to bed.I fixed these with the application of 3 "felt pads" that are used for under furniture feet.One is on the end cap - deadens the ability of the door card and "dash end cap" to flex into and away from each other.One is inside the glovebox where the hinged edge meets the fasciaFinal one is on the leading edge of the glovebox/fascia (nearest the passenger door).I can only conclude, as i can't find anything to really tighten, that something is ever so slightly misaligned or warped.The new "silence" has highlighted the drivers window also vibrates but i couldn't hear that before!Probably just needs the window winder mechanism tightening but that can wait until service time i suspect.Anyway hopefully it helps someone.
AlleyCat2014-07-22 09:59:35
Nissan no more...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Glad you have it sorted Richard, when I had the Toyota Prius everything plastic rattled or buzzed and I used a full sheet of black 5mm adhesive foam pushed between joints, glove box, instrument panel,, door end caps etc. etc.. Even the central armrest needed it but eventually I got them all fixed and everything was quiet.I automatically put rubber foam behind the dash end caps on every car I have, as it always seems to be a problem. I did this on the Yeti and did it straight away on my QQ this may be thee reason I have not heard anything as others have.Most new cars have these annoying problems that get sorted as the marque ages and is cured at manufacture. I have been looking at some f the fixes Duncho has made on the other QQ forum and he has really pointed out some good remedies for rattles, wind noise etc. I have also done a few fixes not only using foam but Tiger Seal and permanently cured some of these niggles.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
mr_ash_75

Post by mr_ash_75 »

Hi AlleyCat
Just picked up my 14 plate tekna with 13k miles, few rattles similar to yours. Sorry to be a pain however can you please help me more with your precise locations either with pics or further description? This would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
mr_ash_75
creepBG

Post by creepBG »

bump :)