BUILD "QUALITY"???

Bodywork & Interior problems
cHaSe303

Post by cHaSe303 »

Just thought I'd add my 10p worth. I bought a brand new "top of the range" Tekna 1.6 petrol last December.
The build "quality" or assembly of parts is rubbish. I have so many rattles, creaks and squeaks.. It's been back a few times and had rattles looked at but not fixed. Not even been out on a road test with a tech to point out the noises. Even though it was pre-arranged last time, I was told "if you can wait for some time as no one is free"
Anyway it's going back in to get the instrument panel screen replaced as its scratched badly (not be my either) and will mention other noises but don't have high expectations.

One thing I have found the cause of is a knocking sound from the boot area. Hopefully this may help someone else.
Where the tailgate closes, on the left rear side, the rubber seal touches the body, and while going over bumps, makes what I thought was a noise like a cable or pipe knocking on the metal.
So I wet the seal, closed the tailgate and drove off, no more knocking for now, however I'm sure it will be back when it has dried out.
On the other side there is a 4mm clearance between the seal and metal, should there be a gap or not?

I really like the car to look at and to drive, and I know the price is lower than the equivalent german car, and has a load of features, but sadly the build quality lets it down. I've only done 5k miles, and it already makes more noises than my previous 15 year old golf, and 20 year old MR2 put together..

It's the first new car I've ever had, and I was hoping to keep this for a good few years, but it's not been very enjoyable so far..

Anyway, rant over..