Bike Carrying on Accenta Premium Rails or Towbar

Bodywork & Interior problems
compact

Post by compact »

Hi About to buy an Acenta Premium and wondering what is the best way to carry a bike
My existing car as Rails, so we have bars for this with Bike carrying rails (got free)

I am thinking about either roof rails or fitting a towbar and something

How easy is it to fit and remove roof bars to the Acenta?
How easy is it to fit and remove a towbar bike carrier?
Normally I remove my roof bars each time after the ride, rather than drive around with them.

Thanks

p.s. I've done a search on here are read a few things, but nothing that has answered the above

Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

I have a Thule XPress 2 https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rac ... s-_-970000 towball mounted bike rack as I'm carrying a bike several times a week, when not in use it lives very conveniently under the false floor in the bootspace. If I'm carrying the one bike I don't tend to bother with a trailer board, if I have both bikes on there then I also put the trailerboard on the rack, that also happily sits under the false boot floor.

After having read a news report yesterday about some scrote that tried nicking a bike off a car as it was being driven through London http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-car.html I'd also make sure you lock the bike to the rack! With the Thule rack I have you can also lock the rack to the car with a padlock so it can't be taken off.

Hope that helps.
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
compact

Post by compact »

Cheers for the link, looks just what I need, will look into getting a towbar and the costs.
Quite like the idea of a detachable towbar as we will only use once in a while and not for towing anything heavy (if at all)

Did you pay for your towbar, if so how much and would you say local garage or nissan?
Thanks

P.s. what a scrote. We always chain up the bikes if on a carrier, as have read too may stories of people going for a ride then the pub and coming out to nothing..
switchback

Post by switchback »

I use a roof rail mount for the tandem and a tow ball mounted with built-in lighting board for a solo bike. Ball mounts are very quick to attach and detach more secure than a hang on mount which can cause bodywork damage as well. You should be able to get a fixed swan neck tow bar for around £300, detachable will be more although I got mine(fixed) in with the price(new car).

Ball mount takes about 2 minutes to fit and the roof bars less than 10 minutes. If the bike obscures the number plate or the lights then you will need a lighting board to remain legal.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

compact wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:33 am Cheers for the link, looks just what I need, will look into getting a towbar and the costs.
Quite like the idea of a detachable towbar as we will only use once in a while and not for towing anything heavy (if at all)

Did you pay for your towbar, if so how much and would you say local garage or nissan?
Thanks

P.s. what a scrote. We always chain up the bikes if on a carrier, as have read too may stories of people going for a ride then the pub and coming out to nothing..
I had to pay (quite a lot) for my towbar, I bought my car when the facelift J11 model was released back in Jan 2014, mine's a 63 plate, it's a genuine Nissan one as no-one was making aftermarket towbars for them at the time. I'd imagine there are lots of aftermarket ones available now though so should be fairly cheap and TBH they're easy enough to fit yourself, I've done a few in the past. The bike rack is all my towbar has ever been used for.
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Compact, perhaps this is too late but we got this information last year July from our Nissan Dealer for carrying 2 E-Bikes on our QQ J11, but never done it but it is back in our minds :roll:. - Dave ;)
The Nissan costs involved were :
Nissan Towbar KE500-4E520 + Electrics KE505-4E213 + Installation = €566,37
Nissan Removable Towbar KE500-4E530 + Electrics KE505-4E213 + Installation = €752,10

Bike Carriers from Thule (Nissan Prices) for 2 Bikes 60kg :
Thule #915 = €400 / Thule Easy #931(Easy Fold) = €560

Do not forget the costs are €
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
compact

Post by compact »

Thanks all

I am going to get some Roof Rails
Foot Pack 754, Fitting Kit 1758, WingBars 962 (135 cm)
Hopefully ebay will come good.

This will help with a box we have and some Thule roof mounted bike carriers we have been given.

Step 2 next year would be the towbar :)
Craig_Broadbent

Post by Craig_Broadbent »

There is now another way to fix your bikes on the rear of a QQ (ver2).
The fitting sits under the bumper and includes full electrics.(13pin).
The cycle carrier is similar to the US no frame touch type.
Security is achieved with a 2m key locked cable.
www.auxtail.com
Price is £425 incl. VAT

IMG_20170523_114622_248.jpg