Paint defect advice needed please

Bodywork & Interior problems
zephyr22
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by zephyr22 »

Hi everyone, new to the forum, been lurking for a while.
The reason I'm posting is a paint issue with my 16 plate 1.6 Tekna.

I bought the car from Motorpoint in Derby back in January, car was registered in June 2016, it's already been in for replacement roof rails under warranty due to the blistering/scratch issue, battery has drained overnight for no reason, and I keep getting a stop start failure warning.
Other than that everything seems fine!!

Well, apart from a few months ago I was cleaning the car on a Sunday evening using my jet wash and autoglym products, there was a particularly stubborn insect on the bumper near the offside front fog light, so I blasted it off with the jet wash and finished washing the car.

The next day I noticed what I thought was patch in the exact same area but ignored it thinking it was just a mark from drying water.
A few days later I looked at it closer and discovered the lacquer had come off leaving a layer of dull paint exposed to the surface.

Now this has can only have been caused by using the jet wash, but in the 25 years I've owned and cleaned cars with a jet wash I've never had any issues like this.

So of course I approached Nissan who sent off photos to warranty but they claimed this part of the bumper had "clearly been resprayed" and refused to do anything about it. They did say if I could prove that no work had been done to this part of the car they'd look at it again.
I therefore contacted Motorpoint who emailed me confirmation from their supplier that no work has been done on this area of the car.

So once again I took the car into Nissan, they took photos again, but this time have just basically said it's not covered under the paint warranty.

I'd just like your general thoughts on this, and any advice as to my next move, and obviously if you think, like I do, that something is wrong with the paint if using an average jet wash can do this to it. Here' s a pic of the affected area.

Pic1.jpg

Gel

Post by Gel »

It'll be hard to prove/ disprove whether that area has had repair; you could try contacting previous owner, as long as it's not a corporate identity.
You could send snap to these people who I've used privately on other cars, both my own & company car when I had one.
https://www.autorestore.co.uk/
Lease companies use them too.

There have been battery issues on some Fiamm ones, but earlier dates than you.
Double check that there's not a light being left on, that's draining battery; best check when dark, as easier to see. Or is there something plugged into front socket near gear stick, as it's permanently live & doesn't switch off after a period like one in centre storage/ armrest.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

You don't need to use a jet wash to clean cars a powerful one will blast off polish and in your case remove lacquer you see people blasting the braking system which removes grease off the brake pads I have a power cleaner but use only power cleaning my drive...
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

To be fair, using a power washer should pose no problems, it's more a case of how you use it. I use mine from a distance, or hand wash after using the shampoo setting to soak, then again to rinse off with a fine spray.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

I found by doing a quick wash years ago that a gentle rinse with a watering can give a good finish in winter time when you do a wash and go... try it sometime
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Paint thickness can be measured. So if its been resprayed it will be obvious to a trained eye .. tell Nissan to come and measure the paint thickness.
zephyr22 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 am
The next day I noticed what I thought was patch in the exact same area but ignored it thinking it was just a mark from drying water.
A few days later I looked at it closer and discovered the lacquer had come off leaving a layer of dull paint exposed to the surface.
Hocki

Post by Hocki »

As long as you do not use the wrong nozzle on the high pressure washer there is a stronger nozzle that is used for stone slabs and you should not use it on the car
Oct 2016 Nissan Qashqai 1,2DIG-T CVT N-Connecta White
zephyr22

Post by zephyr22 »

Thank you for your answers

Gel- Thanks for the link, I'll check them out. Regarding the battery, definitely no lights on or anything charging/plugged into the socket near the gear stick.

david sunderland/gvmdaddy- I've used jet washers for 25 years to clean all my cars, and also used them to clean cars when I worked in the motor trade with zero issues. My current jet wash is one of the least powerful Nilfisks chosen deliberately so it wouldn't harm the paint work, and I use it from a distance.

Daewar- I might just do that when I speak to them next time.

Hocki- Definitely used the correct nozzle.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

zephyr22, looking at your photo again it looks like the panel may have been scraped slightly where the lacquer is now missing. Its possible that it was barely visible but cracked the lacquer. The powerwash could easily have penetrated the crack and lifted the lacquer. Just a thought!
zephyr22

Post by zephyr22 »

gvmdaddy, I know what you're looking at, or think I know, and that's just a bit of general road grime, the lack of lacquer accentuates the effect.
I can say with the utmost certainty that the only thing that had happened to that part of the panel was a fly hit it!