creaky drivers seat

Bodywork & Interior problems
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Ok I've searched and found knocking seats and creaky steering wheels, but nothing about creaky drivers seats.

My drivers seat occasionally creaks, but recently has been getting worse. I can be sat in the car on my drive and all I have to do is shift myself slightly, even just moving my arm to the gear stick, causes a big creak - a bit like the kind of creaky door effect in horror films.

I've tried tightening up everything I can see, but I'm wondering if it's just those big springs under the seat stretching a bit - and if so is there any fix other than replacement?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

No one else got a creaky drivers seat then?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Chris,

Your issue could still be the same as the knocking noise we get from a seat, it may just be at a different stage of wear. From my understanding the base of the seat has rivets that were never tight or strong enough and move slightly but causing lots of noise. I would imagine you would have to remove the lower part of the seat & disassemble it and then try to tighten or even weld the rivets / joints.
chrisw99 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:10 pm No one else got a creaky drivers seat then?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Mine creaks like mad. Over small bumps, potholes, around corners and accelerating. Got considerably worse over the last 12 months. You learn to live with it eventually.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

this seems familiar - didn't someone on here get a new driver's seat installed ?
Happy to be proved wrong, may be I imagined it !!
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Oddly enough it’s nothing to do with either the seat frame or the springs in the seat base, it’s actually something to do with the seat back. Drive along a stretch of road where you know it always squeaks but take your weight completely off the seat back/upright and you’ll not encounter any aggravating noises. It’s not the lumbar support either, so it can only be the springs in the seat back.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The springs in the back could well be the culprit - I'll check that out. Hadn't considered that and I've been concentrating underneath. My son does tend to kick the springs a lot.

However, I have noticed I can alter the creakiness a lot by lowering/raising the seat to different levels - the seat back wouldn't be affected by this. I used to be able to get rid of it completely by having it at a lower height than I normally would, but even that's started creaking so I'm back to my preferred full height.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I had my seat (lower portion) replaced under warrantee. Fixed the creaking problem.
MikeGC wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:53 pm this seems familiar - didn't someone on here get a new driver's seat installed ?
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Daewar wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:48 pm I had my seat (lower portion) replaced under warrantee. Fixed the creaking problem.
MikeGC wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:53 pm this seems familiar - didn't someone on here get a new driver's seat installed ?
Cheers, it wasn’t my imagination !!
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

I had a creaky drivers seat made creaking noise when I made turns and my weight shifted in the seat, they said it was a loose bolt, I now have the same problem with the front passenger seat and I can not find any loose bolts in that so it is in for service this week and that is on the list of things to be checked.
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights