Getting back pain from drivers seat

Bodywork & Interior problems
davey256
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by davey256 »

I've recently bough (early January) a Nissan QQ N-Connecta (2017 reg) and having issues with the drivers seat. To give some info about myself - I'm male, a little over 6ft and 14stone and so I guess you could say pretty tall and lanky. When in the QQ i get a pain in my back and down my left leg and I can't seem to get comfortable in the seat and always having to readjust. I find this very odd as I've bought this car on the back of a Micra (2006 reg) and so the QQ has much more space and should be much more comfortable. I've tried numerous seat positions in experimenting with the seat incline, more forward/back, the steering wheel position and lumbar support. It's very odd where it almost seems like I'm pushed ever so slightly onto my left side and whenever I press in the clutch it feels uncomfortable and I need to keep trying to readjust myself into the middle, but even then it doesn't feel right. I like everything else about the car, and it's obviously a huge step up from the Micra, but surely this should be much more comfortable?!! :S I've also had a BMW 3 series and various Mondeos in the past and never felt this uncomfortable driving. I would add that this is with very short journeys and I'd expect a little discomfort after a long drive but not expect this from 30 mins drives and less. Just can't seem to get comfortable and I've tried various forums and videos in 'perfect driving position' but no matter what I do it feels uncomfortable and I get the back ache and aching in my left leg. I've also now found that at some positions I'm getting neck and shoulder ache where my shoulders aren't supported. I have to admit that I find the headrest very odd where you can't adjust forward or back and my head doesn't feel supported, but I feel this can be easily resolved in buying a headrest cushion, which I'm looking to get.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :)

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Davey, take a look at this old post it might help you - Dave 😊

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6004&hilit=Seat+design
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
davey256

Post by davey256 »

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I've read all of those posts, looked at the links and looked at numerous videos and I'm still having problems. My thought at the moment is that the car isn't set up for those of us that are lanky. The steering column needs to come out further as the problem I have is I can't get a balance between my arms being in a position to not stretch to reach the wheel but also my legs in a comfortable postion to reach the pedals. I'm either having to sit closer or more upright so my shoulders stay in contact with the seat and I'm not stretching for the wheel or back far enough so my legs aren't scrunched. It's also an issue that my thighs aren't then supported by the seat as I have to be sat more forward to reach the wheel and my legs are then at an angle not supported by the seat. Otherwise I'm having to lean forward when steering round corners. If I have my seat more upright then I'm putting too much pressure on my lower and that causes too much discomfort. Just can't seem to win :( It's just very odd as I've never had this issue and this is the most expensive car I've owned
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I'm 6’ 1” and 15 stone and perfectly comfortable.
It wasn’t immediately comfy but didn’t take more than a couple of attempts
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
davey256

Post by davey256 »

Hi Mike. Thank you for the reply. I feel where you seem the same height/weight there is hope :) It's odd where I feel like I've tried every conceivable seating position but no matter how I have the seat it seems like I'm being pushed onto my left side. I really like the car and I'm kida pinning my hopes that there's an issue with the seat in my car that can be corrected. I'd find it very odd it's down to the seating position as I've never had this issue in other cars, which have been much small and I've not really had to change the seating position in them. I have to keep readjusting myself and felt lately I'm tensing my stomach to keep balanced now. I think this is almost symptomatic of where I'm so aware but it certainly can't be right. I'm gonna take it to the dealer and just ask the question
davey256

Post by davey256 »

MikeGC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:25 pm I'm 6’ 1” and 15 stone and perfectly comfortable.
It wasn’t immediately comfy but didn’t take more than a couple of attempts
Mike, thanks again. Where you have similar car to mine (apart from engine size) I'm wondering if you could share your seating position with me in some way for me to replicate?
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I'll see if I can take a photo and share it when I get out of the office
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

Have you considered the fact it may not be the car or your seating position but in fact it may be you have a problem ( Injury ) you are not aware of, the fact you say you have pain down one leg could point to the sciatic nerve.
Pain occurs when there's pressure on, or damage to, the sciatic nerve
You could try investing in one of these Streetwize Seat Support Wedge, they take the strain off sitting on your coccyx ( Tail Bone ) but also will give you more height on your seat ( More room for the legs ) without moving the seat to far back that you need to stretch the arms.
I use one as I drive for a living so sat on my but for long journeys and this cushion has proved to be worth every penny, I suffer from back problems and this helps
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/ ... 0&0&t5_504
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
davey256

Post by davey256 »

MikeGC wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:03 am I'll see if I can take a photo and share it when I get out of the office
Thanks Mike
davey256

Post by davey256 »

Terry64 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 pm Have you considered the fact it may not be the car or your seating position but in fact it may be you have a problem ( Injury ) you are not aware of, the fact you say you have pain down one leg could point to the sciatic nerve.
Pain occurs when there's pressure on, or damage to, the sciatic nerve
You could try investing in one of these Streetwize Seat Support Wedge, they take the strain off sitting on your coccyx ( Tail Bone ) but also will give you more height on your seat ( More room for the legs ) without moving the seat to far back that you need to stretch the arms.
I use one as I drive for a living so sat on my but for long journeys and this cushion has proved to be worth every penny, I suffer from back problems and this helps
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/ ... 0&0&t5_504
Hi Terry. I'm pretty sure it's not that as I know sciatica and it plays on other aspects. I'm fine when I get out the car and I've been fine with other cars. I bought this car mid-December and I had a Micra before that for like 3yrs driving. Never had an issue in that, apart from general fatigue with long drives. This aching/pain starts witin 10 minutes no matter the seat position. The cushion could be an idea though as it's definitely cheaper than selling the car and looking around for a new one. Thank you for the tip :)