Cleaning tips and tricks

Bodywork & Interior problems
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, I know the feeling we must come from the same school, there is always a Micro Fibre Cloth, Q-Tip (whilst still available) and a good “Old” Toothbrush with or without Battery sitting in the QQ whilst waiting for the Boss - Dave 😂

7263ADC8-883B-49DF-89DB-A27A4F831318.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

trout

Post by trout »

Great minds think alike Dave. :lol:
S.
Had a 2017 1.5 dci Accenta premium with pan roof and vision pack. Now have 2020 1.3 Tekna .
Icarus
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Icarus »

DaveBerlin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm Den, as this question is not specific on what Trim here is what I have and have been using for years. This is only a guide of what I have and use as this can get very personal on the preferences used, as I am sure you will find out - Dave 😀
Here we Go ! :
1. “Mothers” - Back to Black Spray & Liquid for the Black Plastic this is a Clear Liquid not Black.
2. “Meguiar’s” - Ultimate Quick Wax Spray (Wipe on Wipe Off) for the Bodywork.
3. “W5” (Lidl) - Alloy Wheel Cleaner Spray before Wash - then use Meguiar’s.
4. “W5” (Lidl) or Caramba - Cockpit Spray Silicone Free for the Plastic.
5. “RainX” - Glass Cleaner for the Windows and Panoramic Roof.
6. “Nigrin” - Wheel Sealer Nanotec use after polishing to Seal.
7. “Sonax” - Leather Cleaner for the Seats (Plastic or Leather).
8. “Semichrome” Polish (cream) which I use for the Chrome external trim. This stuff I used to use for polishing High Gloss Finishes on for example Mold Tools for Mirror Finishes.
Hopefully this is of some help as a guide.
Finally a good Beer after the strenuous work 😉
Thanks for all the tips! This was one of the reasons I've just joined. Had my (Black) N-Connecta for a week now and, well....it's not as shiny as it was when I picked it up! :D

I was wondering about the Alloy cleaner. Do you know if that's acidic? I have the diamond cut alloys and have been told to avoid acidic cleaners to preserve the lacquer!

Also, not sure about the chrome rail/roof bars. Are they proper chrome, and is it ok to use a cream cleaner on them?

Cheers - Mark
2016 - N-Connecta 1.5 DCI. Black. Diamond cut alloys. Panoramic roof.
David56

Post by David56 »

Washing up liquid and Mr Sheen does it for me!
Qashqai 1.3 auto 160bhp Tekna plus in Vivid Blue.
Now gone after 10 months from new.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

David56 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm Washing up liquid and Mr Sheen does it for me!
Just the alloys or the whole car?? :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mark, I can assure that all what I have listed has been used on a Modified Nissan Note, Juke and now our QQ. All have had Alloys whether Nissan or Other and remember also we have Winter Alloys here in Germany and I have never had a problem with these products. The Alloys on our QQ are now 5 years old and still like new, cleaning preparation is also important to get rid of the grit, Brake dust etc before the final polishing. Time is also important. For the Rails you can use most polishes or the Semi Chrome if marked. All in all never had any problems - Dave 👍
One other point you are most likely paying out the second biggest sum of money after the house and the QQ eeds looking after also, so try not to save on the products you use 😋
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mark, as you are worried about the Wheel Cleaners here is a video showing the W5 Lidl stuff (Acidic) but as mentioned never had a problem, but if it is a worry then you need to decide what to purchase. I do also have more expensive products like Nigrin - see also below Dave 😊

W5 Comparison :

31470020-8C7D-4DAB-8EA5-C9476C86E834.jpeg

C27B0119-CB78-46C5-999E-6A773A074CA5.jpeg

Mark, if you have time take a read of this from one of the bigger manufacturers of Cleaning Materials :
Acid Wheel Cleaners 101 – The Complete Guide To Acid Wheel Cleaning Products – Autoglym
https://www.autoglym.com/blog/2016/10/18/acid-wheel-cleaners-101-the-complete-guide-to-acid-wheel-cleaning-products/
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

DaveBerlin,

Thanks for all those tips and vids. I'll check them out later on. Much appreciated. I hope it didn't sound like I was doubting what you had posted.....I just mentioned what the car salesman had advised me. As usual with these things though, the best advice always comes from those who own them! :) It's 3 years old now, and one of the alloys has had some dirt/water penetration, so they are going to get that fixed for me. This is why I was quite keen to get the right info.

One other thing I was going to ask/confirm. The Mothers Back to Black polish....would that do the plastic panels on the doors (between the drivers window and passenger windows)? I noticed that quite a few cars of the same age seem faded in these bits, with what look like sun fading and subsequent finger marks.

Again, really appreciate all advice!

Mark
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mark, it is difficult as you say to believe in some of the stuff mentioned but you either try it or leave it. What I recommended is only from experience but some might have a different opinion - that’s life !
One of the tricks is to do a final Wheel Polish with “Nano” Polish, this to me tends to help to stop the dirt sticking. If you get any Alloy Kerb Damage Cover it immediately with something like “Clear Lacquer” otherwise the Dreaded White Worm (Corrosion) will set in.
Mark, Back to Black is great for the main Plastic Panels it might help I have used it but please take a look at this recent post I think will help you solve the problem. I actually bought some of these Stl. Steel Strips for our Juke but sold them to a Nissan Service Guy when we got the QQ - hope this is of help Dave 😏

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8684&p=69178&hilit=Door+Foil#p69172
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:56 pm Mark, it is difficult as you say to believe in some of the stuff mentioned but you either try it or leave it. What I recommended is only from experience but some might have a different opinion - that’s life !
One of the tricks is to do a final Wheel Polish with “Nano” Polish, this to me tends to help to stop the dirt sticking. If you get any Alloy Kerb Damage Cover it immediately with something like “Clear Lacquer” otherwise the Dreaded White Worm (Corrosion) will set in.
Mark, Back to Black is great for the main Plastic Panels it might help I have used it but please take a look at this recent post I think will help you solve the problem. I actually bought some of these Stl. Steel Strips for our Juke but sold them to a Nissan Service Guy when we got the QQ - hope this is of help Dave 😏

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8684&p=69178&hilit=Door+Foil#p69172
Another really helpful post Dave, cheers! My QQ is black and has the chrome window surrounds, so I think either would look great....particularly the chrome ones. I will try the B2B stuff first though, as I'll use it on the other parts of the trim anyway! Might as well give that a shot first and can always fall back on the panels if it doesn't!

Thanks again!