Yet more creaking rattling from Qashqai boot/rear end

Bodywork & Interior problems
StevieG
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by StevieG »

Afternoon all, I have had a search in the site and found quite a bit on rattling/creaking noises from the boot rear nearside on a Qashqai. My one 2018, bought as a pre reg in Jan and still only 2000 miles on the clock has suddenly decided to start making this noise.
I felt at first it was from around the passenger seat belt area but then became convinced it was more from the boot area passenger side. I have tried emptying the boot of everything including the Parcel shelf but the noise continued. Still had the bose speaker thing in there but sitting it on a pillow!!. Also tried driving with back seat folded down but no change noticed.
I also had a feel/look underneath at the exhaust and heatshields and couldn’t see/feel any unusual movement.
Going round a corner I heard a noise of something rolling against a metal surface. Manage to prise a finger behind the roof trim at the rear passenger side and found a detached nut.
I have booked the car in with a dealer next week for investigation and was just wondering has anyone any suggestions on what else to try meantime and what the nut could have come off? My only guess would be the antenna but cannot imagine that causing so much noise if loose. Worrying whatever it is that a car with only 2000 miles on the clock has nuts becoming detached.
Thanks for any suggestions but I shall try to avoid anything that involves removing trim to access as I don’t want to cause unnecessary damage. Would just be nice to solve an annoying problem.
Thanks for any suggestions
I can hopefully discount the shocks on such a new car!

StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Hi all, just a quick update!
While still searching for the cause I have just found that the passenger side roof rail is not connected/ loose at the rear. I assume that this would entail roof lining removal to reattach as I think that the nut I found is possibly from the roof rails. Does that sound feasible? Any thoughts anyone. I would like to secure the rail temporarily at least until I can get it into a dealer. Does anyone know off hand how these side rails are secured and if the the rear end is detatched should I be looking for more nuts/fittings etc? Thanks again but hopefully this is the cause of the noise but not yet convinced.
Thanks
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

Had symptoms pretty identical to what you descibe and likewise it was the rear end of the roof rail, a few people seem to have had the same issue which makes me suspect incorrect torquing ( tightening ) on the production line. Had the rail dealt with by dealer, under warranty, wasn't going to spend my own time fixing Nissan's problem. So far,peace and quiet, hopefully you will find likewise.
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Thanks for the input StewartP. I took it to the dealers and the mechanic said he had a few in recently for the same problem. They had reported it to the factory as they suspect one of the automated machines on the production line was not working as expected. All tightened up there and then and a bit of loctite applied for good measure. As you say not worth taking the chance of damaging trim to get in there and tighten it yourself while still under warranty. So that's the main racket sorted for now just trying to trace an annoying little creak/rattle on the passenger side at the minute as my ears are still listening out for the original problem. That can be traced slow time though as doesn't sound anything seriously loose or detached.
Cheers all for the input