Rear passenger doorhandle quandary

Bodywork & Interior problems
AlecF
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by AlecF »

My 2013 series 1 Qashqai has a seemingly insoluble problem and I would welcome suggestions.

The right rear passenger door handle no longer opens the door - probably a mechanical problem, the handle does not quite return fully after pulling at it.

The problem is that the childlock is switched on, so the door cannot be opened from the inside either. Obviously the next step would be to remove the interior door liner. However the forward edge of this is tucked away inside the door pillar, needing the door to be open first.

Could just the rear side of the liner be unclipped to reach inside and somehow release the door? Somehow I doubt it.

Can anyone please help?

Alec.

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

The only thing I can suggest is making a tool with which you can release the child lock while the door is shut.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I think there are two ways to open the door(s). From the service documents QQ J10

First is by using the Nissan CONSULT diagnosis tool to command the door lock/latch system to release. Goto Nissan really.

The other method could mean sacrifice of the door trim..called Finisher Panel. The panel is clipped on around its edges and needs prising off. That includes around the inner handle. Then a 12v supply is needed to operate the lock mechanism.

The other method I mention here looks to be dead awkward and may cost the trim panel plus handle problem. Interior info for doors etc attached.
Last edited by calnorth on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

Many thanks to you both, gloucester and calnorth.

I had considered the first suggestion already, but it would have to be very thin and flexible, rather like an oversized feeler gauge with a V cut at the end, and at least I could give it a trial run with the opposite door. I must give it a try.

That PDF is going to be extremely helpful and I will print it out for future reference. Having successfully repaired the dreaded tailgate handle I have gained a little more confidence.

I had not realised that main dealers have that secret weapon. Maybe that’s the way to go. Sacrificing the Finisher panel would be embarrassing if it didn’t work and I had to go with my tail between my legs.

I’ll let you all know whatever is decided, and what the dealer cost was if that was necessary.

Alec.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Hi Alec,

The associated electrical diagram is below. These diagrams are no necessarily 100% correct. Many others are here:

https://cardiagn.com/nissan-qashqai-mod ... ce-manual/

CONSULT is the Nissan proprietary test/diagnostic tool that provides many functions to operate the cars electro/mech systems. Its a two way device to monitor and command functions. Expensive and not available to us.

Colin
Last edited by calnorth on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

Thanks again Colin,

Very helpful again. Are you sure the CONSULT tool will even defeat the child lock, which has the appearance of being a mechanical over-ride? I haven’t yet downloaded the links which I will do on my desktop that’s connected to my printer, so the wiring diagram may provide the answer.

I have just remembered I have one of those long coils of spring steel used to unblock drains, which I may be able to slide in place and locate the little lever, using the technique suggested by gloucester. The only problem is that it’s 1000 miles away in the south of Spain, so I may have to buy another.

Alec.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

AlecF wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:52 am Thanks again Colin,

Very helpful again. Are you sure the CONSULT tool will even defeat the child lock, which has the appearance of being a mechanical over-ride? I haven’t yet downloaded the links which I will do on my desktop that’s connected to my printer, so the wiring diagram may provide the answer.

I have just remembered I have one of those long coils of spring steel used to unblock drains, which I may be able to slide in place and locate the little lever, using the technique suggested by gloucester. The only problem is that it’s 1000 miles away in the south of Spain, so I may have to buy another.

Alec.
oh sorry...its electrical on the J11 (mine) I'm sure? Got rid of kids so no longer fully informed on that. Its the subject of whats on the diagrams really.

If it were me some 20 yrs back I'd be levering the panel off near the lock. Have done it on about 3 other cars wayback so reckon I know what I'm doing...sort of? Finding hidden screws and all that. If there's a scrap yard around (Spain perhaps) the trim panel could be sacrificed perhaps?

Approx where in Spain.

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

Twenty years back I'd still be 62; eight grandchildren ensure that I still use those child locks!

I've been ploughing through the downloads but there's no reference to the child lock; they only seem to be concerned with whether the central locking system locks and unlock that door ... which mine does, if the clunk is anything to go by. If only the handle mechanism located mechanically it would work fine.

Yes, there are scrap yards in Spain but I don't drive there nowadays and bringing part of a door home might not please EasyJet. The location is up a mountain just outside an agricultural village called Colmenar, where we've been doing up a ruined farmhouse for 20 years.

As a last resort maybe I could bore a neat hole in the door liner adjacent to the child lock and plug it with a blanking grommet!

Alec.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Ok...understood:

Looking at the DLK pdf I cannot see the child lock either. In some scrap yard pics its shown as a lever sticking out of the door frame. Not sure if a stiff wire might get to it?

Can you open the other rear side door with exterior handle when its child lock is on? The door lock operates with two cables so if the other door will open when its child lock is on....its possibly a very awkward case of:

1. Prising the door finisher away sufficiently to get to the exterior door cable ...pull/push it to release the lock/open the door
2. Cutting into the finisher to do the same....rather as you mention.
3. The CONSULT tool option? This may only unlock and not unlatch...?

The Finisher was a flimsy bit of fibre card in olden days with cloth stuck to it. I suppose later cards might be all flimsy plastic . The latter could flex quite a bit? It all looks very awkward and finisher damage looks inevitable.

There has been similar problems on the other QQ site:

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/passenger-door-wont-unlock-from-inside_topic15602.html

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

Problem solved. Gosh, doesn’t it feel good to write those words?

The answer was to cut a 1” x 12” strip of 25 thou rigid, flexible transparent PVC, as used for covering garden frames etc. It slipped in nicely, exactly level with the top of the arm rest. It worked on the third attempt with a reassuring click.

More surprisingly, not only does the door lock and unlock on central locking, and opens from inside, but the outside handle also works - though it doesn’t feel right and its use will be discouraged for now.

So thanks to all for your advice, and this tip can be archived for anyone whose door is childlocked and refuses to open!

Regards,
Alec.