How to pop roof Qashquai 2016 rail trims?

Bodywork & Interior problems
RHayman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by RHayman »

Recently my roof rail came loose on the right rear and made quite a noise for a few days until I found it. Now, I need to pop the trim, so that I can tighten it up. It is a 2016 Qashquai Tekna with factory fitted rails. I can feel two points of resistance if I slide a store card along the opening, but dare not strain anything. My last attempt really before taking it to a dealer to fix. It is out of warranty anyway. Any ideas gratefully received.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi and Welcome. We had new Roof bars installed on our old QQ J11A and from what I remember they were “Pop Off” End Caps but you have to be careful not to damage them. If you use a screwdriver I would recommend wrapping the tip with masking tape just to prevent any dig marks in the Plastic.
Here is a video showing an “After Market” Kit looks like from the PRC but it has the same principle so you might pick up some Tips. Most probably it would be better to get a Dealer to do it although it Costs but Damaged Caps do not look nice - Best of Luck Dave 😉

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
RHayman

Post by RHayman »

DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 pm Hi and Welcome. We had new Roof bars installed on our old QQ J11A and from what I remember they were “Pop Off” End Caps but you have to be careful not to damage them. If you use a screwdriver I would recommend wrapping the tip with masking tape just to prevent any dig marks in the Plastic.
Here is a video showing an “After Market” Kit looks like from the PRC but it has the same principle so you might pick up some Tips. Most probably it would be better to get a Dealer to do it although it Costs but Damaged Caps do not look nice - Best of Luck Dave 😉

Hi Dave, thank you for this. It gives me the clue that I was looking for. It appears that they are fixed in one place and gently need levering from the ends. I will give it a try! :)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Correct, just a Hard Snap Fit. In the early days of the QQ these End Caps were a major complaint from owners due to “Crazing” (looked like scratches) on these End Caps due to Quality Problems and were replaced often under Guarantee - Dave 😊
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:18 pm Correct, just a Hard Snap Fit. In the early days of the QQ these End Caps were a major complaint from owners due to “Crazing” (looked like scratches) on these End Caps due to Quality Problems and were replaced often under Guarantee - Dave 😊
hi dave my end caps looked like they were scratched when i got the car a few moths ago, but sometimes you don`t notice the crazing it depends on how the sun reflects on them, was tempted to get some silver alloy spray and see if that makes them look better :lol:
you don`t happen to have the part numbers for the end caps do you :?:
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This is a copy from an old post from 2016, so you will need to check that the No’s are still the same - Dave 😉

DBA7ACF2-E9C8-43C8-9881-A809CC10B5E4.jpeg

andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Cheers dave just found them online part numbers are still the same . Priced at £33 each think i'll keep the ones i have on the car. And spray them when the summer arrives 😀
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Andy, that seems the logical way out, a spray can and a once over. But when you think of the time involved to prepare these parts and then re-Spray it could turn into a long job. Also due to the curves / form you could end up with paint runs and the aim is really to hide the “Crazing”, you also end up with a layer of paint that could be chipped also - just thinking out loudly ! It’s your decision.
My suggestion would to tackle your Dealer firstly with a copy of the facts from the Forum and see if they offer replacements as this problem is known by Nissan. Try giving NCS a call and question them also you may be lucky, asking costs nothing - Dave 😏
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

I have damaged mine and when I asked the price of a new cap it came to €50.... quite some money for this bit of plastic. :roll:
They are still damaged, I just did a quick retouching with nail polish so it doesn't strikes so much.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Qashqai kath

Post by Qashqai kath »

There obviously a manufacturing fault. I've had 4 end caps come off in transit. A very dear do as you can only buy the entire rails. I've ended up buying second hand but still at great expense. Now. My advice to anyone replacing the end caps ....add some weatherproof clear silicon sealant on when attaching because no matter what you do they will keep coming off in tansit because the little yellow clip keeps beaking. Their made of cheap plastic. Do this with all of them but be very very carfull. Something so small is causing a lot of trouble.