Bonnet latch cable broken

Bodywork & Interior problems
ultimatelightweight
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by ultimatelightweight »

Hi All!

As title suggests, my wife’s 13 plate Qashqai’s bonnet latch cable has snapped, or come lose under the bonnet.

Anyone know:
- how do I release the bonnet?
- is it a ‘simple’ enough job to replace the cable (assuming it is actually broken!)

Cheers!

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I can only think of attempting to release the lock from below in front of engine/rad.
Or trying to get to the broken cable.

Its done on a jaguar below....as a guide?

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

See if this attachment helps - Dave 😊

Bonnet stuck on my Nissan Qashqai, what can I do ? : https://victoriamgclub.com/bonnet-stuck ... -can-i-do/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ultimatelightweight

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I’ve tried going at it from underneath, but the bumper and bumper mud cover make it pretty impossible to get my arm in there. I’d need arms like stretch Armstrong :lol:
DaveBerlin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:45 pm See if this attachment helps - Dave 😊

Bonnet stuck on my Nissan Qashqai, what can I do ? : https://victoriamgclub.com/bonnet-stuck ... -can-i-do/
When I saw that link I thought it was Christmas! But alas, it talks about what I’ve already tried.
The part about removing the front grille is interesting, as it’s screwed in under the bonnet! I have released the clips on the grille which gives about 4to5cm if gap to play with, but nowhere near enough to get any sort of room to ‘exert pressure’ with any accuracy!
I’m also confused as to where I need to exert said pressure, as it would appear the springs to release the lock are behind the body of the unit, which faces outwards.
I thought about removing the whole unit, but even if I could get spanner’s in there to do the job, the unit needs to be removed from within the engine bay (due to a little link configuration).

Alas I fear resigned that this may be one for the stealers; unless I break the front grille, and see if that gives me any better access.

Or, unless anyone can guide where I exert pressure!!!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The Nissan J10 DLK document details Hood Lock config/components...as attached from Page 227

dlk.pdf
(4.47 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
ultimatelightweight

calnorth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:39 am The Nissan J10 DLK document details Hood Lock config/components...as attached from Page 227

Thanks very much; I appreciate the reply and guidance.
I’ve had a look and it all makes sense and aligns with my assumptions of how the system would work...however with the bonnet stuck down, and me unable to remove the bumper without getting the bonnet up...I’m still stuck in the same place.

Seems a design flaw to me...there’s very little protection from the elements for the mechanism. And no easy way to deal with a broken mechanism (unlike a book lock for example). Just my humble opinion though!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

ultimatelightweight wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 pm
calnorth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:39 am The Nissan J10 DLK document details Hood Lock config/components...as attached from Page 227

Thanks very much; I appreciate the reply and guidance.
I’ve had a look and it all makes sense and aligns with my assumptions of how the system would work...however with the bonnet stuck down, and me unable to remove the bumper without getting the bonnet up...I’m still stuck in the same place.

Seems a design flaw to me...there’s very little protection from the elements for the mechanism. And no easy way to deal with a broken mechanism (unlike a book lock for example). Just my humble opinion though!
Looking at another of Nissans docs (EXT) all front end operations are preceded by "open hood". I guess that the front grille may be sacrificial?

Link to EXT doc:

https://cardiagn.com/exterior-07-qashqai/

This document may have a problem in a pdf viewer. It'll open in Librewriter though.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
ultimatelightweight

Yeah I’ve been thinking the grill may need to be removed and sacrificed. I’ve looked, and even second hand they’re really expensive!
Joys of motoring hey?!