1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

ABliss wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 am
chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 pm Confirmed, I need a new timing chain after going in to investigate the rattle.

Was told 1000s have had to have it done.
Chrisw, did you notice any chain rattling noises when driving? It's quite a distinctive rattle, and when you release the accelerator and free wheel in gear, can you hear a noise similar to that of a pushbike free wheeling (the chain/spoke aspect of it)?

Under acceleration, I would hear a couple of clicks (again sounds like the chain) in 3rd or 4th gear then goes away. Doesn't happen all the time. My engine has done 20500 miles. It doesn't sound normal, but might be normal for this engine.
That was the whole reason my car was in - I got a nasty rattle , exactly the same as this one I found on youtube...

Although that car appears to have it all the time when idle. I only got it when pulling away hard in 2nd gear, and even then I could only hear it when I was driving with the windows down on a narrrow street so sound reflected.

In fact, Nissan said they couldn't hear a thing the engine was faultless, so I went back to get it and took the technician for a spin,found a narrow back street and pulled away hard on the wrong side of the road so the drivers side was near a wall - "oh yes, I hear it now, you need a new timing chain". Which turned into needing a new engine.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 am
ABliss wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 am
chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 pm Confirmed, I need a new timing chain after going in to investigate the rattle.

Was told 1000s have had to have it done.
Chrisw, did you notice any chain rattling noises when driving? It's quite a distinctive rattle, and when you release the accelerator and free wheel in gear, can you hear a noise similar to that of a pushbike free wheeling (the chain/spoke aspect of it)?

Under acceleration, I would hear a couple of clicks (again sounds like the chain) in 3rd or 4th gear then goes away. Doesn't happen all the time. My engine has done 20500 miles. It doesn't sound normal, but might be normal for this engine.
That was the whole reason my car was in - I got a nasty rattle , exactly the same as this one I found on youtube...

Although that car appears to have it all the time when idle. I only got it when pulling away hard in 2nd gear, and even then I could only hear it when I was driving with the windows down on a narrrow street so sound reflected.

In fact, Nissan said they couldn't hear a thing the engine was faultless, so I went back to get it and took the technician for a spin,found a narrow back street and pulled away hard on the wrong side of the road so the drivers side was near a wall - "oh yes, I hear it now, you need a new timing chain". Which turned into needing a new engine.
Right, because my QQ has been doing that since purchasing it 3 months ago. I'm going to have to give Arnold Clark a ring.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

What kind of warranty did you get? If it's making that rattle, it's the "lifetime" timing chain gone kaput. And the cause of this is the incorrect fittings in one of the pistons causing oil to seep out and get burned off, diverting it from getting into and lubricating the timing chain, so if they just repair that it will happen again over time.

Have you checked if you are losing oil?

If it's a franchised Nissan dealer you got it from, there is a set of standard tests Nissan GB get the dealers to run on the engine (leak down tests, compression tests, etc), to determine if you have one of the dodgy lot.
Slioch
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Slioch »

chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm What kind of warranty did you get? If it's making that rattle, it's the "lifetime" timing chain gone kaput. And the cause of this is the incorrect fittings in one of the pistons causing oil to seep out and get burned off, diverting it from getting into and lubricating the timing chain, so if they just repair that it will happen again over time.

If it's a franchised Nissan dealer you got it from, there is a set of standard tests Nissan GB get the dealers to run on the engine (leak down tests, compression tests, etc), to determine if you have one of the dodgy lot.
According to Halbeath Nissan in Scotland they have never replaced an engine in 3 years yet Inverness Nissan have replaced 13 in 12 months. Make sure you get the truth as they will feed you a pack of lies. There are hundreds of these engines getting replaced if not thousands.
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm What kind of warranty did you get? If it's making that rattle, it's the "lifetime" timing chain gone kaput. And the cause of this is the incorrect fittings in one of the pistons causing oil to seep out and get burned off, diverting it from getting into and lubricating the timing chain, so if they just repair that it will happen again over time.

I got the 2 year extended warranty. I have a video of it making that noise before the manufacture warranty expired also. My mate works at Arnold Clark, and it's who I bought the car from. He'll be able to let me know what is what also.
I don't think I'm actually losing any oil, which is strange.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I didn't lose oil till the car was 3 years old and had done 30,000 miles, then it started.

If it's the Cared4 warranty, then that's actually with Nissan GB not Arnold Clark, so it shouldn't really matter to the dealer whether they replace a part or the whole engine, they're not paying for it at the end of the day. The problem is getting their time to diagnose it needs a warranty claim in the first place.
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

It's not I don't think. The Arnold Clark is a Ford dealer, hopefully it's OK to have someone check it out.
jerraymond

Post by jerraymond »

Hi Everyone,

I bought my 2014 QQ 1.2 DIG-T in Sep 16. On purchase I was advised there is a noise on start up as it hadn't been drove for a while. I naively ignored it.

Last May I contacted Nissan as the noise had got worse from the front of the car, Nissan gave it back to me and apparently no problem. I realised February this year it had been losing oil after figuring out it had been topped up 3 times in less then a year. Topped up in February, to then go to my MOT in July to tell me it is completely drained. He put 3 litres in to the car to bring it back up!

Since then it has dropped by half. I still have finance on the car and they haven't wanted to help me unless I can 'prove' the issue was there on purchase. Which quite clearly, since it was manufactured there has been!

Nissan Customer service was awful and said there was no problems, I now have it booked in to go into Nissan on Wednesday. The car is out of warranty by a year with Nissan, they are taking it in still - free of charge and giving me a courtesy car!

I have already spent £1500 in February on the car having the clutch and dual wheel fly mass replaced!

Jess
luka
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by luka »

Hi. I'v just bought new Qashqai Tekna+. So I am little worried when i read everything about this 1.2 engines. As I said my car is produced couple month ago (were I can check in documents when it is produced), so do you have info is this issue still present on engines 1.2?

Thank you
Nissan Qashqai, 1.2 dig-t, Tekna+
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

luka wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm Hi. I'v just bought new Qashqai Tekna+. So I am little worried when i read everything about this 1.2 engines. As I said my car is produced couple month ago (were I can check in documents when it is produced), so do you have info is this issue still present on engines 1.2?
Your car won't be affected (but don't quote me! :) )

The serial number range is given on viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6787&p=57759

My car fell within the serial number range but seems to have been unaffected, albeit I decided not to risk it and got out. In the 2.25 years I owned it I never had to top the oil up, and I don't think the engine exhibited the noise people are reporting.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)