FIAMM Battery - Potentially on Death Bed

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
pacojones
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by pacojones »

My 2019 1.5 blue DCI has a Varta fitted, theorically should I be worried or usually these are fine?

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

pacojones wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:56 pm My 2019 1.5 blue DCI has a Varta fitted, theorically should I be worried or usually these are fine?
Varta is the good brand. No worry.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QashqaiPete

Post by QashqaiPete »

Another Fiamm battery bites the dust!
Just got RAC to change my dead battery.
Car dash was flashing like a Christmas tree.
Couple of clicking noises and no starting.
Replaced it with Varta under warranty. RAC guy said he replaces at least 2 a day.
Fast service only 30min from phone call.
Shocking barely 2 year old battery.
See how long this one lasts.😀😀😀
2018 J11B Tekna 1.2 Dig T- Xtronic Gun Metallic ,Mud Flaps , Footwell lights , Bonnet Struts.
SommerGirl
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by SommerGirl »

Over here, it's 'Duralast' sold by AutoZone. These last (if you're lucky) anywhere from a year to something less than 2 months. Since my Rogue was manufactured in Japan, I got a battery that I hope is good enough to last through the end of the 3-year warranty. Rob has an old (2008) Chevy Trailblazer with oodles of miles on it and we just replaced the OEM battery with a NAPA battery that is used by our police department. I feel sorry for you guys over there - you get crap batteries and cars made in who the h*ll knows where!
Live, Love, Laugh, Drive!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sommergirl, this subject here regarding the FIAMM Battery in the QQ is old History and keeps arising in the older QQ’s. We had our old FIAMM replaced around 4 years ago with another FIAMM Battery and it held until we got rid of it in Dec, but the Stop Start never functioned in my opinion correctly. In the end our Nissan Dealer here said the reason was a Faulty Batch of FIAMM Batteries and it makes you wonder how many are still around after most likely “Bulk Buying” by Nissan. If the original Owner never reported or complained to Nissan and received a new Battery under Guarantee then problems will start to become apparent later.
In our New QQ we have a German VARTA and this seems to be the one as our Stop Start works almost immediately.

Just to follow up on your Duralast Battery These might be of interest to you :

700526BE-84FF-4029-AAFB-478D383F4CFA.jpeg

Duralast Car Battery Review – Should You Invest In This Brand? : http://www.badveins.net/duralast-car-battery-review/

A Guide to Finding The Best Car Battery: Top 7 Picks for 2020 : https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-ma ... ry-review/

Could you please clarify what you mean by this comment - “cars made in who the h*ll knows where!”
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
SommerGirl
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by SommerGirl »

My understanding is your version can be made anywhere from the UK to Mexico or S. Korea. The US version comes only from Japan (at least that's what I heard and, in checking the VIN for mine, it's true). If I was misinformed, I apologize.

The Duralast batteries are pure junk. Based on comments found around the net, they are failing left and right - mostly shorted cells or other internal issues. e have a few people in our housing development who have used them and, based on 'word of mouth', no one has had much success with them.

Over here, there are three companies that make car batteries (lead/acid type) and only one of them is worth the trouble to actually install them in a car. At one time, there was a lot of hope for AGM technology but these (lately) have been a bust i that the new ones (made in Mexico) last less than a year. Don't know if you folks get the videos from Scotty Kilmer, but he's a real hoot! Full of advice and insight and he can be funny as all get out.

Here's his website (on youtube). Give him a look if you want - you won't be sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer
Live, Love, Laugh, Drive!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sommergirl, we have had the original 2014 QQ J11A and now have the new QQ J11B both Models LHD and Manufactured in Sunderland UK and shipped to Germany. QQ’s are also manufactured in Russia with different Specs because of the Climate. Also China and Japan manufacture the QQ, as you know as you get the Rogue Sport in the US & Canada - Dave 🙂

391527C3-99F5-4003-AEE1-C0972C5EEDBE.jpeg

Never heard of the QQ being manufactured in Mexico or Korea as the main European Manufacturing Centre is in the UK Sunderland. Do not forget Nissan is part of the “Alliance” Nissan (Infiniti) / Renault / Mitsubishi & there is involvement with Mercedes on for example the new QQ models 1,3L Engine....... and many Renault Parts are also used.

The Qashqai has been built at Nissan's Nissan Motor Manufacturing UK (NMUK) Sunderland, Tyne and Wear plant since December 2006. It is the first model to be styled by Nissan Design Europe in London, with engineering development led by Nissan Technical Centre Europe (NTCE) in Cranfield, Bedfordshire.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken