Cvt problem?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

see
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

The downhill rev change I can understand. I have had 2 cars with CVT gearbox and on down hill section have both acted the same. If you take you foot of the throttle the car will try to maintain the last speed, not necessarily a set speed, by engine braking. I have noticed this more on my QQ that the car tries very hard to keep within the speed limit set by the sign post recognition. I can only think that driving around curves has a similar effect on the gear box that it is trying to find the optimum "gear" There is, of course, only one gear in a CVT box and the "changing" of gears is electrical.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
jurasjo

Post by jurasjo »

Hi, I had similar problems like you.
I haven't really noticed that at first, I mostly blamed windy weather. I have OBD2 dongle which can also read errors from CVT module but there where none. RPM's started to be unstable after around 20km of driving but after few weeks the problem occurred even after few minutes of driving. I started suspect a CVT problem, went to the local dealer and they simply said that CVT must be replaced as a whole because pressure lines inside the CVT are not within proper range.

They told me the cost started from 10000 euro. Luckily I took my car to the dealer I bought the car, they confirmed the problem and the funny part: they told me the timing chain set must also be replaced (ringing sound). So the previous authorized workshop didn't noticed timing chain problem!!

I was informed I had still warranty (I paid extra for 18 months extended option during the purchase). So mechanical problem in CVT might not give OBD errors and good authorized workshop or specialized CVT workshop is needed in order to properly diagnose problems.

I also asked from few such workshops and they told complete refurbishing of CVT would be a cost 3000-5000 euros.
kladdis

Post by kladdis »

kajinge wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 am
kladdis wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 pm I took my car to the dealer today. They suspected the gearbox slipping. They were gonna make a call to Nissan, for trying to get fixed on extended warranty. If that didn’t work they were going to try on my insursance.
Hi kladdis,

How did this work out for you? Have the same car (Qashqai 2016 1,2 petrol) and experience the exact same behavior. My problems started when the car was 1,5 year, around 8-9.000 km. And is still going strong, now passed 65.000 km. I`ve had the car in with the dealer 10 (!) times, and now after three years and warranty just expired I get that "this is normal behavor". According to a Nissan bulletin (or what they called it) it`s expected that "the RPM will oscillate +- 300-500 RPM during downhill detection or high speed curves". I'm baffled by learning this just after warranty expiration. I am wondering if this at all can be solved in any way, or is it the fact that it will always be like this. The bumping feeling in the car when it occurs makes the kids in the backseat go "oh, this was a bumpy road...". I might add that gearbox was replaced, some valves and sensors also replaced and some other minor stuff, all of which had no effect.
Sorry for a late response.
Nissan found metal ”shavings” in the gearbox oil. They replaced the gearbox on goodwill. The car now runs great, but I still don’t trust it 100%. Winter has come to Sweden now, and I don’t feel safe driving around in -20C with this car. Will probably try and sell it to a dealer and buy something new & better.
duncho

Post by duncho »

This is gearbox failing, it starts like this later oscillations will be bigger and later after that it will hardly move on from standstill
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
mrtsb3061@gmail.com

Post by mrtsb3061@gmail.com »

Hi all, I am a Brit living in Singapore and retired.
Having found this post it appears I am not alone. This problem has existed in my 2016 1.2T since it being about 2-3 years old . I live in Singapore and taken it into a main dealer several times only to be told that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. In the end after 6 years I insisted on taking an engineer with me and he said it was the gearbox. So in it went again and they rebuilt the gearbox. The car came out and it still has the same issue. To generate the symtoms I just keep it at a constant speed on a flat road with or without cruises control and it starts fluctuating and car feels like it is being tugged . This gets worse if I put it in Sports mode.
Nissan Singapore doesn’t seem to have a clue of what the fault is and are completely unaware that it may be a known problem in UK / Europe or other parts of the world. Does anyone on the forum have any acknowledgment from a Nissan deal as to what this fault is caused by and if it can be fixed? All I want is the car to work properly. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light and help me with this.kind regards Mike