ECU P0136 Fault Code

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
B Ogbrush
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by B Ogbrush »

2016 Nissan Qashqai Tekna 1.6

P0136 ECU Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Bank 1 Downstream

in August 2019 I had to replace the above component due to a failure, now in January 2021 I have had to have the same sensor replaced once more due to a failure.

After a little research I have discovered that this is a common problem and that in 2018 Nissan issued a software update as described here:

'The rear 02 sensor is a known issue, there are also software updates for R9M M9R and MR16 to alter the heat up strategy as the sensors suffer from thermal shock, K9K dont suffer with the same issue. If it hasn't already had the update it would be recommended to have it done to prevent any further early failures. The software is already rolled out onto j11 R9M produced 06/2018. Before that though it will require updating.'

Is this a FREE update or will Nissan charge for updating the software?
2023 Nissan Qashqai e-Power Tekna Ink Blue

[Gone 2016 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic]
[Gone Mercedes S Class W220]
[Gone Range Rover Vogue]

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

This issue is related to changes in the sensing of emissions at the initial start period of an engine. AFAIK Bosch is responsible for this O2 sensor and its related heater control software. They seem to be rather slow here because it is well known and widely discussed?

You'll need to ask Nissan about free updates which would be an ECU software update I think? It should be free and where emissions levels are breached that is an MOT failure and hardly your/our fault.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta