QQ J11 1.2 dig-t CVT noise

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Peacher
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Peacher »

Hi everyone,
first of all i just want to let you know im Swedish. So please bear with me not having English as my native language. As it turns out we dont seem to have a QQ forum in Swedish, even though the car is very popular in Sweden, so i thought id check in here with my QQ-related problems :D

I have a J11 2016 1.2 dig-t CVT Qashqai that i bought last summer. I dont know when i first started to notice the strange sound from the transmission im about to describe. Perhaps it has been there all the time even though i believe its more prominent now.

Its a bit hard trying to describe the sound, especially since i probably dont use the exact correct words. However, i would like to describe the sound as a scraping, or perhaps grinding, noise with a quite low pitch that also fluctuates somewhat.

The sound is only noticeable when having the gear selector in DRIVE, nothing part from the engine sound is heard when the gear selector is in NEUTRAL or PARKING. The sound is also only noticeable when accelerating at quite low RPMs, around 2-2.5k.

In my opinion the sound shouldnt be there, i think it sounds as if something isnt as it should be. However, i have never had a QQ CVT before and i know that these gearboxes are different from many other cars.

So my question is, does anyone else recognize the sound im trying to describe? Is it a normal sound for a QQ CVT?

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Peacher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 pm Hi everyone,
first of all i just want to let you know im Swedish. So please bear with me not having English as my native language. As it turns out we dont seem to have a QQ forum in Swedish, even though the car is very popular in Sweden, so i thought id check in here with my QQ-related problems :D

I have a J11 2016 1.2 dig-t CVT Qashqai that i bought last summer. I dont know when i first started to notice the strange sound from the transmission im about to describe. Perhaps it has been there all the time even though i believe its more prominent now.

Its a bit hard trying to describe the sound, especially since i probably dont use the exact correct words. However, i would like to describe the sound as a scraping, or perhaps grinding, noise with a quite low pitch that also fluctuates somewhat.

The sound is only noticeable when having the gear selector in DRIVE, nothing part from the engine sound is heard when the gear selector is in NEUTRAL or PARKING. The sound is also only noticeable when accelerating at quite low RPMs, around 2-2.5k.

In my opinion the sound shouldnt be there, i think it sounds as if something isnt as it should be. However, i have never had a QQ CVT before and i know that these gearboxes are different from many other cars.

So my question is, does anyone else recognize the sound im trying to describe? Is it a normal sound for a QQ CVT?

I think we get that problem reported here often...search for CVT trouble/problem etc

Noises from that box are really bad news I'd say. It might be something adjacent to the CVT box but you need to get it checked anyway.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Peacher

Post by Peacher »

Thanks, i have read quite many posts about CVT problems and i understand there has been a lot of issues with the gearbox. Im still struggling trying to find out if the sound i hear is something that can be related to the same kind of problems. The thing is that i dont really have any problems with the acceleration or the power transmission itself at the moment.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Hi, I have had a CVT gearbox car for many years, a Mercedes B Class and now a Qashqai 1.6 cdi. The only time I have experienced noises was when a CV joint was breaking down and may be worth checking. That was on the Mercedes, I have had no problem with the Qashqai (yet). The noise I had from the Mercedes was similar to what you describe and did have me worried. It is not easy to see, as the CV joints are usually protected by a rubber boot. This can sometimes split and allow dirt into the joint which over time causes the CV joint to break down. Good luck.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
kladdis

Post by kladdis »

Tjena!

Jag hade liknande ljud på min 1.2 j11 som vi köpte begagnad av Nissan Falun (2500 mil)
Bilen fungerande bra, men runt 5000 mil så började bilen rycka på motorväg, för att sedan börja rycka när vi körde iväg vid rödlysen. Nissan tog på sig bytet av växellåda men vi blev utan bil i 6-7 veckor.

Enligt Nissan verkstad så var det cvt-remmen som slirade.
Värt att kolla upp. Eftersom CVT-lådan är så strulig så verkar det nästan som att Nissan fixar ”alla” problem med den. Skulle Nissan inte göra det, så går växellådan på maskinskadeförsäkringen.

Så jag skulle kika upp det på verkstad.

Edit: Är det typ som att den ”brummar” vid 2500 rpm?