Nissan QQ J12 - CVT D-Step Logic Control Transmission

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Reading some of the recent posts on the New QQ J12 there have been many comments with regard and concern to the CVT Auto Transmission Problems that have existed with recent Nissan Vehicles especially in the EU & in the US regarding Repair Costs, Guarantee & Legal Actions.
I too have an interest in the new model but at present am really pleased with our DCT and am hesitant to change. I have been digging in a bit and it does appear that this “New” CVT is a new modified version. Here is what I found and I hope it is all correct. Th Final information was obtained @ the weekend sitting in the QQ and please notice the D-Mode on the Middle Tunnel, so that indicates a change - Dave 😏

19DED32D-EBEE-4DEF-AC09-A50C2B7B5CCC.jpeg

9C2D10CD-FB47-4DB1-BD00-57A45EEC14E5.jpeg

9394932D-2136-49B6-87E1-6314FAD78D5D.jpeg

Nissan Xtronic CVT :

The New QQ J12 2021 is apparently equipped with a New Xtronic Automatic Transmission. The upgrade includes the installation of New Double Oil Pumps (electrical and mechanical) and with the New D-Step technology is faster than it was in the previous generation QQ. This D-Step CVT was previously introduced in the US and used on Nissan Models with over 2,0L Motors, this new QQ option appears to be of similar technology.
The QQ can accelerate strongly and the rubber band effect (Wind Up Feeling) will not be experienced. With the D-Step Technology it is able to accelerate directly. The new transmission is available on the Front and the Intelligent All Wheel Drive, furthermore a direct clutch will allow the power to switch to the Allrad power in just 0.2 seconds and Steering Wheel Gear Change Levers (Wippen) are also available with Xtronic Transmissions.
This third-generation Nissan Xtronic system includes D-Step Logic Control that uses dynamic inputs to achieve smoother acceleration and greater efficiency while making the CVT sound and feel more like a regular automatic transmission. It does this by holding a consistent gear ratio longer to mimic the feeling of shifting between gears, which many drivers prefer. The 2021 New US Rogue also uses this transmission design.
For many the CVT Cars are the least favorite. Most complaints revolve around the ‘Rubber Band” feeling that the CVT transmission car users face when they hit the gas. But, people still like CVT transmissions and this is apparent from the interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49% of the world’s gear-free transmissions to manufacturers like General Motors, Suzuki, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi. Most of Nissan’s models are now supplied by JATCO this being a Nissan Owned Company.

One of the leaders in automotive technology, Nissan has come up with the 3rd generation Xtronic Transmission. This latest technology uses D-Step Logic Control that uses dynamic inputs. These include application speed, vehicular speed and the position of the accelerator pedal and also helps determine the ideal ratio for the gears and ensure smooth acceleration, with the latest 3rd generation Xtronic technology. The transmission holds a constant gear ratio while delivering that feeling of flexibility and stability that drivers want.
The Nissan Xtronic CVT 3rd generation technology uses Nissan CVT Fluid NS-3. using any other fluid-like Manual transmission fluid, Automatic transmission fluid (ATF), or a mix of others will damage the transmission. And can cancel the warranty. So, if you want to replace your CVT fluid, you should see a Nissan dealer for your servicing needs. So, the next time you find yourself driving a new Nissan, do not worry if you don’t notice the shifting. And even though you do not notice the difference, you know that the 3rd generation of Xtronic CVT is there. Helping you have a smoother ride with less friction and heat.
Hopefully these put together facts were of interest and have eased a few minds 🙏

XTRONIC CVT Continuously Variable Transmission | Nissan USA :
https://www.nissanusa.com/experience-ni ... ssion.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

For people who are not used to "MT sportscar" behaviour this new Xtronic CVT does seem ... perfect !
10 years from now MT will be a thing of the past anyway, a.o. because of electrification.
The US is ahead of us in that regard... that's all.
I wonder whether I will ever be able to sell my Qashqai J12 with MT only a few years from now !
Also in my country automatic gearboxes are taking over.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still strange though why Japanese companies seem to be so in love with this CVT tech, whereas European companies not so much.
IMHO and AFAIK (I read user reviews about it) ... DCT, EAT8 ... tech is far more reliable.
BTW One of the first CVTs ... in VOLVO 343 cars -back in the 1980-ties- was a true disaster ! (still with a rubber belt though)
duncho

Post by duncho »

Dave thank you so much again for very informative summary. I was hoping to get AWD with DCT, but this isn’t possible. I will test drive AWD CVT model and decide after. My concerns are:
- big lag on rapid acceleration
- rubber feel (TC behavior) on move from stand still
- rubber feel on overtaking in speed above 80kmh
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daniel, Good to hear from you again hope all is well with you ! 😉
You appear to have similar concerns with the CVT and I have been digging in and it was not until the “Launch” here that I actually noticed this “D-Mode” Switch and then I asked and got some D-Step verbal information on it. As I mentioned all what you have mentioned appears to have been overcome by Nissan / Jafco and the US Press seems to issue positive comments on the New CVT. As they say “the proof is in the eating” so a long Test Drive should be planned when and if possible.
We have the DCT and I was never an Auto Box Man except for the holidays in the US, but this DCT Box is really nice, Light, quite, performance wise and meets all my needs - All the Best Dave 🙏
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
prisparis
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by prisparis »

Hi I have a Nissan QASHQAI 2015 auto
Iim in Melbourne Australia
I'm just wondering if anybody else has had issues with their CTV transmission? And what did Nissan do about it?
When I initially bought in the car into Nissan there was no problem other than the red engine light appearing. Apparently after 14 diagnostics and $500 later.
Once returned the car engine was loud. It was shaking & juddering when accelerating.
I rang Nissan 10 minutes after leaving the center and they assured me that Nissan would fix it.
The car would losses power once over 70 / 80 KMs or the car bunny hopping.
At the low mileage & at 8 years old this is not okay!
It hasn't been abused & has been serviced according & logged. In my care independent mechanics never touched the CTV!
They gave me back the car and sent me on my way.. Nissan denied any fault or paying for the fault.
I'm appalled! months later still awaiting head office contact me.. I'm a single mum with 2 boys.. without a car
Has this happened to anyone else ??
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

prisparis wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:17 am Hi I have a Nissan QASHQAI 2015 auto
I've responded at viewtopic.php?p=104773#p104773 - this is not a relevant topic since it deals with the later J12 transmission
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
duncho

Post by duncho »

prisparis wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:17 am Hi I have a Nissan QASHQAI 2015 auto
Iim in Melbourne Australia
I'm just wondering if anybody else has had issues with their CTV transmission? And what did Nissan do about it?
When I initially bought in the car into Nissan there was no problem other than the red engine light appearing. Apparently after 14 diagnostics and $500 later.
Once returned the car engine was loud. It was shaking & juddering when accelerating.
I rang Nissan 10 minutes after leaving the center and they assured me that Nissan would fix it.
The car would losses power once over 70 / 80 KMs or the car bunny hopping.
At the low mileage & at 8 years old this is not okay!
It hasn't been abused & has been serviced according & logged. In my care independent mechanics never touched the CTV!
They gave me back the car and sent me on my way.. Nissan denied any fault or paying for the fault.
I'm appalled! months later still awaiting head office contact me.. I'm a single mum with 2 boys.. without a car
Has this happened to anyone else ??
Collect all signed “repair job lists”, get advice from a lawyer whether you have all evidence for successful legal case and then make a deal with a good lawyer to represent you in legal case with Authorized dealership and/or Nissan importer for Australia, or Nissan.

From my personal experience, only non-compliance with legal requirements can help you to successfully melt the ice.

I represented myself incl. copying 2 lawyers in all of my email communication with importer and only when I put in bullets 3 paragraphs what Nissan did not comply to, helped me to get compensation for long run begging them to fix what they were denying on long term.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!