1.3 DIG-T oil and filter change

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

Oil and filter change now carried out using dealer parts.
Safely lift up the front of the car. Run the engine until warmed to help better oil drainage.
Under tray removed using a combination of bolts, screws and plastic rivet clips. It is worth making a PAIR of rivet prising rods the size of a thick building nail about 3 inches long with a flattened pointed end like a small flat blade screwdriver that has been bent about an inch from the blade tip. This allows you to prise out the rivet centre pin so far, to enable the rivet to be removed. This is because some of the many rivets are recessed and a little awkward to get at. The bend in the rod or screwdriver is the important bit.
Once the engine cover is removed, the sump bowl had an insulation cover around it also. This was again held with some plastic clips. Not sure if this is the norm on this engine but not seen it on other qashqai videos yet.
If you leave this sump blanket cover on ( which you can ) the engine oil I feel will dribble onto the cover and make a right mess.
You will need a New sump plug washer, an 8 mm square drive sump removal tool. Sump plug will be re-tightened to 50 Nm.
New oil filter ( Nissan genuine part ) with Renault printed on the filter which included a new o ring.
The oil filter cover needs a 27mm socket or spanner for removal / reassembly.
Lubricate the new o ring fit the new filter and torque tighten the plastic cover to 25 Nm.
Top up the oil to specified level and check for leaks.
Refit all covers, and lubricate undercover bolt threads for ease of removal next time.lower car to the ground and re-check oil level.
Oil was genuine Nissan at 38 pound for 5 litres although another half a litre-ishhh was required to fill to max mark.
Genuine Oil filter was around 12 pounds.
Sump plug was found to be marked with yellow inspectors paint to verify the item had been torque checked during manufacture.
As a side issue, I came across a you tube video, where a Toyota master technician was explaining about how a particular number of their engines had developed high engine oil consumption. It seems that the piston rings and oil control rings on modern engines have been deliberately weakened to reduce piston bore friction hence increase power and fuel economy.
He could not emphasize enough the need for regular oil changes to be carried out, especially for those drivers carrying out short trips, who he recommends should be servicing their cars at the heavy use limit, ie changing your oil more often.
This is because the piston bores are not "scraping' themselves clean as efficiently as they used too when the piston rings were more robust. This in turn is allowing the piston rings to "gum" up and prevent the oil control ring from maintaining an efficient seal if the oil is not changed as required.
Now I know this article was reference Toyota, but the theory I am sure applies to many of our energy efficient engines.
Other articles on this forum have identified excessive oil consumption on certain models so It made me think if this may be an issue for some Qashqai models also. Check your manual and if you are an about town driver or on short school runs, get an intermediate oil change and save the possible hassle that could come later.
Mrugby.