Speed Limiter, Engine Warning, ABS Light and then...

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
ZackFair_2020
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by ZackFair_2020 »

Hi,
I have a problem with my engine and need some advice if possible. It's a J10, 2011 Qashqai Ntec+ Diesel.

I was driving down the motorway when suddenly the engine warning light, and abs light came on. The car started losing speed - it actually seemed to be losing revs rather than speed - it dropped to 50mph @ around 2500rpm but if I lowered the gears, the revs stayed the same but the speed dropped further.

I checked the Speed Limter / Cruise Control in case it was 'stuck' - It wouldn;t allow me to set/cancel it though.

I limped home and opened the bonnet - there was what looks like oil splashed about on top of the engine and a pipe seems to have split open along a seam - I'm guessing this is the source of my problem.

Anyway - if this is the issue, it looks like a simple fix to me - a new pipe section, which is connected by a split pin on one end and a jubilee clip the other. I guess if it's oil that's been lost, I'll need to top this up too.

Can anyone help me identify the part that's broken - If I can buy a new one, I'm confident I can replace it in a few minutes.

Also, does anyone else have experience of this fault?

You can see in one of the images, I have placed a screwdriver in the gap that has appeared, where the pipe has split.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 19.07.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 19.07.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 19.07.42.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 19.07.41.jpeg

I'm thinking if I can ob

ZackFair_2020

Post by ZackFair_2020 »

A bit more research today on this forum and other places.

It's a cracked Air Intake Intercooler - could just be a weak spot in the car, or possibly cracked due to pressure build up caused by a blocked Diesel Particulate Filter.

I haven't driven it since I spotted the issue - car still ran albeit with the issues described, so I'm hoping it's not totally goosed.

I have ordered a replacement pipe - £15 on Ebay New. I will replace it next week and see what happens and report back here - Gonna take the train for a few days.

Bought the car in Jan 21 and it's ran perfect since then and seen plenty of motorway action - I figured DPF would be clean(ish) as a result but I guess maybe not. I will see how it goes and look into getting the DPF cleaned somewhere in the meantime - any way to know if it needs doing, or should I just do it anyway as a precaution?

Thought this info might be useful for someone else.
Nick_Precision
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Nick_Precision »

I don’t think that blocked DPF can cause air intake pressure. High exhaust pressure will trigger check engine light on, or car will start DPF regenerating process.

At this stage you can assume that the part just need replacing as it’s old...or go for diagnostic which might be just not needed...
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta J11A
ZackFair_2020

Post by ZackFair_2020 »

Quick Update. I replaced the Air Intake Intercooler part - just had to loosen a couple of nuts and a jubilee clip - took 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away.

After replacing the part, I went for a little drive. The engine light stayed on (I thought maybe it would go off once it realised the part had been replaced/pressure restored). It drives fine up to about 30, then when I switch through 4th, 5th, 6th it takes about 5 minutes to just about reach 53mph. It will not go any faster than this, foot to the floor.

For some reason, when I got back home after 15 minutes of driving in this way, I decided to check the exhaust - it was cold. I haven't yet tested this further as it is too late in the evening, but could there be a blockage or leak somewhere in the exhaust that would cause this issue with the speed?

At this stage, I think it's well beyond my knowledge or ability to investigate so I'm going to book it in with Nissan. I will post here what they say in a few weeks.